PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 05-22-2012, 12:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is a great project, Corey, with lots of scope because that chassis was used in a number of different vehicles (Charlie will know chapter and verse).

Incidentally, I have come across the same explanation that Charlie gave regarding twin-turretted tanks: that they provided the ability to fire down two sides of a trench as the tank crossed. The idea that tanks would support infantry on a trench-crossed battlefield seems to have had an important influence on 1930s tank design. Some U.S. Army tanks of the period had multiple machine guns with steel plates to cause bullets to ricochet down into the trench.

The rear wheel that you are working on was the "idler" that kept tension on the tracks. The sprocket wheel in the front drove the tank as the teeth on the sprocket engaged the track links and pulled the track tread forward. (Charlie will weigh in if I have got any of this wrong.)

Thanks for this enjoyable and educational thread.

Don
Old 05-22-2012, 04:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
If it's over the top in 1/72 why not do it 1/48? The 6-ton is such a small tank the larger scale would be easier to build. Even in 1/25 a T-26 tank is pretty small - I've built one of the Modelik T-26s a while ago.

You are quite right - the 6-ton was a front drive tank, the idler was in the rear.

I keep getting the impression that there was huge confusion about how to use armour in the 1930s. Most armies didn't want to get into a defensive war like the Western Front in WW1, if only to keep casualties down and avoid the crippling economic costs associated with WW1. The underlying confusion in the senior ranks of most armies also seems to be reflected in the tank designs. Whether the tanks were assault guns to support infantry or replacements for the cavalry or mobile strong points all seem to have been explored in the 1930s designs. WW2 seems to have shown the answer was all or none of the above.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 05-22-2012, 06:07 PM

Since my preferred scale for military vehicles is 1/48, I would certainly love to see this one in that scale, or 1/35, which would still be pretty small.

I remember Charlie's build of the Modelik model, and I have that one on hand.

Whatever you choose to do, Corey, I wish you well. And I am enjoying this thread, especially when it includes mini-essays by Charlie.

Don
Old 05-24-2012, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Well, after looking at the parts I have made a decision. I am going to do a somewhat simplified model in 1/72 scale due to the part size, and I will also attempt a larger highly detailed model with individual rollers and road wheels and so on. It is really the only way I can get the level of detail this tank lends itself well to. The 1/72 scale model in the simple form will have a printed box for the wheels with a separate wider track running around them. Also, add ons for the more skilled will include layering for the return rollers, the road wheels, sprocket and idler.

On both scales the model kits i will include the twin or single turret options, and also the air scoops and vents as options as well. And a couple different color schemes as well.

So that's where I am at.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:46 AM

Excellent as far as I am concerned. All these decisions sound great to me and I look forward to your continued work and the eventual appearance of these historic vehicles at ECardmodels.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 05-24-2012, 10:56 AM

I am done with many of the parts for the larger scale-to be determined- and I have the first page done for the 1/72 scale model. The second page will include the turret options and vent scoops. Then it is on to Gimp to do the layering and colors. I might have the little guy done today. the big one I expect to take a lot of time on as I will have to rethink internal supports and construction methods. 1/48 scale will most likely be the final scale.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:51 PM

Down to the little odds and ends for the 1/72 scale. Wow tanks have a lot of parts. And the more I look at period photos the more "optional" items I see, like a back "bumper" or support for the muffler. Not on my plans but I will add it and fender boxes as well in the optional section. Also, both turrets options have gun options as well! Hopefully I can add enough historical context for the modeler to know what he or she wants on what type.
CT
Old 05-26-2012, 11:24 AM

Some optional add on parts. The large air scoop, the rear air vent and a large box on the real part of the tank. These were on some but not on others. Must have depended on the individual unit or tank commander if these were used or not. I will also add a back bumper and fender boxes too. Not all these where always used on the same tank. Sometimes just the air scoop was used, some time fender boxes, just what ever was needed at the time. Some times non of these were used. So it is up to you but I will include them as options.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
In over my head on this tank...-post-9.jpg   In over my head on this tank...-post-10.jpg  
Old 05-26-2012, 12:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
In fact most of those bits were production and early post production mods and additions to overcome engine overheating problems, so none of the Polish 6 tonners were without them for long.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:01 AM

OK, about done with the set up. I have been working on this every time my CSS Selma gives me a headache!

I am working on the alternative turret now. Then off to Gimp and some fun with coloring and camo!

CT