PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 06-13-2012, 12:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 287.62 MB
Guys, I have to disagree with you. If you google for "CSS George Page", you will find a PPT file entitled "THE SEARCH FOR THE CSS GEORGE PAGE". There is an illustration from "Harper's Weekly" that shows the bow port view of the steamer and the structure is clearly between the side wheels.

That would suggest a walking beam engine structure, but still there is no beam visible (those few darker pixels atop the structure may be the background).
Old 06-13-2012, 03:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
You could be right. Of the few ships I've researched the drawings of them vary wildely in accuracy. Pity nobody had the foresight to photograph all the ships at the time for us!

The drawing you show certainly does not show the towers on the paddlewheels. The tower it shows seems to be further back though.
Yet another question mark that is unlikely to be solved unless they find the ship in good enough condition to answer it!

Over to you Corey and how you interpret it!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:42 AM

I have it! This time I'm 99% sure!

I found the first picture below of the USS Yanke which lead to the second which lead to Wikiepedia page Marine steam engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which lead to the last two pictures. This leads me to conclude the tower is the A frame that supports the parts of a Crosshead (square) engine!!!!!

From Wiki page/......
The crosshead engine, also known as a square, sawmill or A-frame engine, was a type of paddlewheel engine used in the United States. It was the most common type of engine in the early years of American steam navigation. Because the cylinder was placed above the crankshaft in this type of engine, it had a high center of gravity and was therefore deemed unsuitable for oceangoing service,so that its use was largely confined to vessels plying inland waterways. As marine engines grew steadily larger and heavier through the course of the century, the high center of gravity of square crosshead engines became increasingly impractical, leading to their abandonment by the 1840s in favor of the walking beam engine.

In the last picture the New York Steamer even appears to have flag poles on top of the A frame!

I rest my case your honour!!!
Attached Thumbnails
CSS George Page-yankee1.jpg   CSS George Page-yankee-2.jpg   CSS George Page-763px-square_marine_steam_engine.jpg   CSS George Page-800px-ps_new_york_1836_steamer_by_stanton.jpg  
Old 06-13-2012, 05:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 287.62 MB
You nailed it! Well done!
Old 06-13-2012, 05:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
The drawing does not look like a watch towere as there is no place to stand. Also this doesnt look like a riverine boat, where you would need to see over levees (like the Lafeyette. I am wondering if this is a steeple beam engine.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Sporticus, I think you have it. All the pieces fit anyhow. Unless anything else pops up I am going with that engine set up. Thank you!
CT
Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 AM

I think Sporticus has nailed it. The crosshead engined ships were on their way out and would be available for cheap conversion.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 AM

Hmmm...could be a steeple engine. I still think it's an A-frame, but we'll probably never know for sure!

Anyway, great to see you doing this little model. I will be adding it to list of models to buy and build!

I'm currently going through your lis of models working out which are 'never launched' and which are 'actually did some fighting' so I can work out which ones to get! With such a prolific designer it's taking some time!

Keep it up Corey!!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
I think steeples and crosshead engines are essntially the same thing. Think Fulton's Clermont.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Case closed. This has been a fascinating forensic exercise.