PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 06-05-2014, 02:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
I am glad that I can start to build this ship. This to me is a new model, new design, new adventures!
The printing happened today, will soon hear from me ...
Sincerely, Joe
Old 06-20-2014, 07:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.64 MB
First Photos of Curlew Test Build

G'day CT,

Here are the first few shots. First impressions, after printing and realising the superstructure is pink, is that its a very solid little model. The lamination for the decks give it some weight in the hand <I don't know why but I really like this feel?>. Its a very neat little model so far. Packing and organising for my move o/s have taken up a lot of time in the last few weeks but I've finally got a chance to share some photos.

It has gone together very well and the instructions are fantastic (they've saved me reinventing the wheel as on previous models. A couple of concerns fitting the structure on the deck up to the edges (my skill not model) but a quick trim of the deck with sharp scissors fixed this.

Couple of things around the pilot house. Firstly I ended up making a horizontal stiffiner to sit inside the pilot house to help me get the shape. Secondly it seems to be slightly longer than the space that's allowed for it (perhaps it is me > Joe do doubt will confirm). Its not a real issue as it just means I had to put the funnel back slightly. What I did was print the upper deck on thin paper, cut out a section and cover the original white circle for funnel placement and just moved it back. It looks great. I ended up using the same technique for mounting the walking beam as this allowed me to assemble it, without having to be super careful that the width was exact and then place on deck. Overall it turned out ~1mm wider (this was me not the kit!). Net result looks really good can't wait to add detail.

Hopefully more to report soon.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Curlew-photo-1.jpg   CSS Curlew-photo-a2.jpg   CSS Curlew-photo-a3.jpg   CSS Curlew-photo-b1.jpg   CSS Curlew-photo-b2.jpg  

CSS Curlew-photo-b3.jpg   CSS Curlew-photo-c1.jpg   CSS Curlew-photo-c2.jpg   CSS Curlew-photo-c3.jpg  

Current build: unpacking moving boxes (yes still)
Old 06-20-2014, 07:08 PM

Opps, one more point. Really not sure what color I should 'paint' the rim of the main deck. The upper deck I went with gray/slate which looks good I'm just not sure if I should go black, brown, yellow (as per deck) or pink as per superstructure...........

Old 06-20-2014, 07:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Pink?Wow, I messed that up I guess... I have problems with reds and greens... I was shooting for an off white or lightish tan.

The build looks great! I will take a look at the pilot house structure and stack placement. I knew that it would be tight, but I can fix that.

I am so happy with the build, you are doing a great job!!
Thank you,
CT.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
I like the hand. It's visually more helpful to me than all the cubes and measured mats. It gives a feel for the bulk.

Pink? Well, it was a common color at the time and didn't have contemporary stigmas. But, cheap white paints would have been more likely. The yellow pine deck sure looks like it was made of canary feathers!

Nice looking little boat.
Google Adsense
Old 06-21-2014, 09:58 AM

Yeah, when I fix the pink I might tone down the pine deck also!
Old 06-21-2014, 02:01 PM

Ya, the deck is bright, I was looking at it last night and was thinking perhaps some charcoal smudge might help. As for the pink, it has grown on me. The planking colour itself is pretty subtle, if the lines defining the planks were more brown in tone than red (but this May have been my printer as not so bad on screen) the 'pinkness' would be further diminished.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:12 PM

Charcoal might help.
I hope you like your new location.
CT
Old 06-23-2014, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Benihana: great Work!

I start the job, but first a few questions:
1. pink superstructure can be white?
2 of the wheelhouse windows flat glass plate.
3 of the wheelhouse casing is not horizontal, but vertical?

Thank you,
Sincerely, Joe
(Sorry for my bad English ...)
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Curlew-photo-c2.jpg  
Old 06-24-2014, 04:47 PM

Some more progress pics. I've deviated from instructions as I'm still procrastinating on how I want to do the paddle wheels.

All went fairly well. I should have paid more attention to the alignment of the upper and lower decks to ensure that the supports at the rear were vertically up, though the result still looks OK. I'll put this down to a rookie mistake.

The flag pole on the pilot house looked naked so I added the 'stars and bars' not with the kit but I feel appropriate as it fits the ships service timeline. I'm assuming it would be more likely for a vessel that saw costal waterway service to fly this rather than a naval ensign.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Curlew-photo-1.jpg   CSS Curlew-photo-2.jpg   CSS Curlew-photoa-1.jpg   CSS Curlew-photoa-2.jpg  

Google Adsense