PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 06-24-2012, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Curlew

I am starting the research end of this ship. Thanks to Kaz, I have some great information on this iron hulled ship. No pictures so the over all apearance is subjective based on the info I do have. I know the following.

The ships dimensions, including paddle wheel size and placement. I know the type of engine, a walking beam. It was armed with two guns, one on the bow and one aft. I know the size of the hull plates and the rivet spacing, and the size of the rivets. It was a plat bottomed boat with a single u-shaped keel. Most of the superstructure parts were built of wood.

Now for the guess work by me and others.
I know that the Curlew probably had "sponsons" built out around the paddle boxes as common on side wheelers. Because of the area it worked befor the war, the superstructure was low, possably a single deck house with a small pilot house atop. This was due to the many overhanging trees and narrow water ways it worked. Alterations made to make it a war ship consisted of clearing the after part of the deck house to allow room for the aft gun, and possibly strengthening the deck.

We do have good drawings of similar sized boats working the same water ways as the Curlew so I will in part base my model on them.

Anyhow, so this is where I am at. Should come along soon. Waiting on a couple more things to fall in place.

Corey
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Curlew-148.jpg   CSS Curlew-152.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012, 04:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Cool. I love all the little riverboats. Very useful for me, so will add this one to the list to build when it comes out. By my reckoning you have several that I want to build at the 'almost for sale' stage, so I think my wallet may get emptied a bit more in the next few months!
Old 06-24-2012, 04:18 PM

Errr, no pictures? There is a drawing of her exploding, which I expect you found, howver there is also a drawing that may help. It may only be someone's interpretation, but may be right. Bensted Home Pages: Other Warships called Curlew
Old 06-24-2012, 04:35 PM

And there is this sketch of her fighting against the fanny! She would appear to be the middle of the three ships in the background File:Gun-boat-fanny.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-24-2012, 04:41 PM

That last pic is close to what I had in mind. No masts. Single deckhouse. Except it looks like a square head engine in the drawing rather the a walking beam. Hard to see though.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Way cool...and new project, and a very interesting one at that!

Looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 07-10-2012, 02:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.16 MB
Corey, check this: The Curlew: The Life and Death of a North Carolina Steamboat,1856-1862 (Christopher Olson) - Academia.edu
Old 10-21-2013, 08:56 AM

OK. With a lot of help from Kaz I managed to get this one off the drawing board. I am braking it down into parts now. I think it is a pretty close representation of what the ship looked like after only a month of alterations to a gun boat.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Curlew-css-curlew-full-boat-1.jpg   CSS Curlew-css-curlew-full-boat-3.jpg   CSS Curlew-css-curlew-full-boat-4.jpg  
Old 03-04-2014, 04:58 PM

Still working on pieces parts. This one will be out the door soon I hope. Two configurations as far as it's military configuration possibilities. Give me time!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Looking forward to seeing this one roll down the shipway...

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense