PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 07-02-2012, 12:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
USS Clyde (ex-Neptune) side wheel gunboat

While I get the last of my info together for the Curlew I couldn't help but do this one. The USS Clyde is a strange gunboat. It was made from the captured blockade runner Neptune. It was so thin in the beam (18.5 feet!) that they could only mount one small gun on each end. The 24 pound howitzer on a slide carriage was set up on a rail system just like the big guns on other ships. However, even this smal gun carriage had to be modified some what to fit the ships small width. In the first picture I have the model of the gun, but notice the rear support rollers are on the extreme back. In the Clyde carriage the rollers were moved forward to match the pivot rail. The Clyde also has two large rollers on some sort of windless set up for the anchor chains. I have not noticed this on other period ships. The Neptune was not a purpose built blockade runner, as it was built in 1857. I can not think of a reason to have such a thin ship that was 200 feet long with an 8 foot draft. Odd ball. Anyhow, I like the bridge, the after cabin and the small cannon so I began work. Should have it ready soon

CT
Attached Thumbnails
USS Clyde (ex-Neptune) side wheel gunboat-clyde-gun.jpg   USS Clyde (ex-Neptune) side wheel gunboat-uss-clyde-post-1.jpg   USS Clyde (ex-Neptune) side wheel gunboat-uss-clyde-post-2.jpg   USS Clyde (ex-Neptune) side wheel gunboat-uss-clyde-post-3.jpg   USS Clyde (ex-Neptune) side wheel gunboat-uss-clyde-post-4.jpg  

USS Clyde (ex-Neptune) side wheel gunboat-uss-clyde-post-5.jpg   USS Clyde (ex-Neptune) side wheel gunboat-rifled-howitzer-slide-nipsic.jpg   USS Clyde (ex-Neptune) side wheel gunboat-uss_clyde_-1863-1865-.jpg  
Old 07-02-2012, 03:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Excellent. I'm glad to see you are as productive as ever. My designing has ground to a halt at the moment due to too many other commitments. I have some leave at the end of the month so I'm hoping to get back into it then. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Corey -

Interesting ship! Since it was originally a blockade runner, do you suppose the narrow hull was intended to facilitate higher speed?

I can't figure out how the gun pivoted from side to side. I know this three-arc traversing races arrangement was not uncommon on ACW warships, but this is the first time I have tried to actually imagine the sequence of events.

The discussion as this site is very helpful, and has lots of images and information (on colors as well as the technicalities of pivot guns): http://www.modelshipworld.com/phpBB2...dfa1dcaff9c07a

But the geometry and process are still unclear to me. Can you explain to a layman how the gun was pivoted?

Don
Old 07-02-2012, 03:32 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
That is an odd, an therefore interesting, ship.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:27 PM

My guess is on this small gun a separate jack was used to lift the tail end of the carriage at the center point, lifting the rear slid wheels off the track. Then a second small truck was paced under the front of the carriage on the track that crosses to the other bulwark. Then the carriage would be disconnected from the bulwark by the removal of a large pin and the tackle used for aiming the piece disconnected from the rings on the bulwark. Then the gun would be rolled along the rail pivoting on the center jack stand until it lined up with the opposing bulwark placement. the pin would be replaced, the aiming ropes hooked to iron rings on the bulwark by the use of large hooks, and the center jack stand lowered so the rear real rail on the new rail, then the jack removed. Then the gun would be ready for action.

The above is a guess, as I have never seen a 24 pound boat howitzer set up in this fashion be for. In the one picture, the 20 pound rifle on the same carriage is fixed to to bulwark by a pin system, but it looks like it is meant to be used at that bulwark only and there is no rails.

My guess is that on military ships the decks were more then heavy enough for the little guns to be used directly on the wood. But on the Neptune, the decks may have been thin enough that the little guns needed the iron rails for additional support.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Corey, could it be that there is a central ring under the 2 small rollers, to support the weight and act as the central pivot? (this could be obscured by the mast in your last picture) There could be rollers under the bulwark pivot so that the whole cannon could be swung without lifting the cannon up on dolleys. This is far safer on a rolling and stamping ship that is under fire. And a lot faster too.

That switching side would go a bit like this: Lower the central pivot (raises the small rollers off the deck), unfasten the cannon from the deck/bulwark, and simply swing the gun around, retackle it at the other side and raise the central pivot. Like how you lower the bogey wheel on a caravan/small trailer!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:53 PM

That is a good point. I have seen some large guns with a pivot attched to the caraige that is lowered into a socket for pivoting. You have to do something to get the rear section off the rail and something way to attach the front to the rail to wing it around. Some sort of attached pivot and/or dolly wheels be wise.

On the USS Thomas Freeborn the 32 pounder is on an older style truck. It sits atop iron rings in the deck for support but is not connected to them. To switch the gun from port to starboard the tackle had to be moved then the cannon moved by hand! What a pain.

CT
Old 07-02-2012, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
That is a good point. I have seen some large guns with a pivot attched to the caraige that is lowered into a socket for pivoting. You have to do something to get the rear section off the rail and something way to attach the front to the rail to wing it around. Some sort of attached pivot and/or dolly wheels be wise.

CT
On that, they could have used the same mechanism as on caravans. That system uses simple cogs and wormwheels that could easily be made in that period. Just don't know what it is called, sorry!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 AM

OK guys, I have been having too much fun with this. I must really be feeling better despite certain real life issues that could be a downer. I actually wake up at night thinking about these models again. It has been a while. For some time i used to be totally obsessed with modeling. Then, with illness and what not, that obsession went a way. I still would do them from time to time but not frantically like now. My wife says it was depression setting in. Could be. I guess that is a sign, not having fun with things you used to enjoy. But what ever, I seem to be back! My poor wife, her only interest in history is political/social, and now she once again has to put up with my 2am ramblings about boat howitzers, free board and steam engines. She is happy for me though, if mildly annoyed.

So, I thought it strange that the guns on this thing swing inboard towards the center of the ship rather then to the bow and stern respectively. Every other pivot seems to swing the guns away from the superstructure.

After getting more of the pieces parts in place I see why. The dang masts would get in the way. The could work that way but it would be tight. Yet, to move the whole set toward the center to clear the masts and you would limit the angle of fire on the guns. So, there is a reason for why people did things the way they did. Imagine that!

I put the wheel in the aft position on a platform simulating the tiller and rope rudder controls. This was used on many new clippers built in the 1850s as well as on other mid-size ships. This is completely a guess on my part, but the little building with the front facing window is way too small to be a pilot house. I think it was an entry way to the engine room. May be. Who knows. If you have thoughts on this let me know!

Finally, I have to do something with the open space between the paddle houses. That oddly vacant deck space between the rear gun and the smoke stack. I can not see in the photo if it had a short deck house type thing (a raised ceiling with windows to let in light and air to the cabins on the lower deck), or just what was there. I may be over thinking it, as it could just be deck space for cargo. Any thoughts?

CT
Old 07-03-2012, 09:58 AM

Kaz came through for me yet again! Here is a drawing of the Neptune. I didn't expect the second stack but it answered my question about the spacing! I managed to get most of the profile correct bu guess work. My aft cabin may be a bit long. And I will add the portholes under the aft gun. And I see that I need to add a 3 degree canter to the masts and stacks. So much fun! Thanks Kaz.
CT
Attached Thumbnails
USS Clyde (ex-Neptune) side wheel gunboat-getimage.exe.jpg