PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 09-16-2012, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Here is a page from my 1/150 scale model. I am going to whiten the sails though. All of these signal flags are taken from a number of sources but I have no idea what flag is what letter or number, as they change constantly!

The flag is the 1861-1863 flag with 34 stars. The fleet flag and the commission pendant are correct for the first half of the war as well. I think these details at the large scale will add a lot!

I think this is the right placement for the flags. If I am wrong please let me know. I may add a bow flag mast for the fleet flag though. Not sure.

Corey
Attached Thumbnails
USS Cimarron Civil War gunboat-uss-cimarron-post-6.jpg   USS Cimarron Civil War gunboat-uss-cimarron-post-5.jpg  
Old 09-16-2012, 12:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
Here is a page from my 1/150 scale model. I am going to whiten the sails though. All of these signal flags are taken from a number of sources but I have no idea what flag is what letter or number, as they change constantly!

The flag is the 1861-1863 flag with 34 stars. The fleet flag and the commission pendant are correct for the first half of the war as well. I think these details at the large scale will add a lot!

I think this is the right placement for the flags. If I am wrong please let me know. I may add a bow flag mast for the fleet flag though. Not sure.

Corey
Looking great, Corey!

Actually signal flags at least as they are used today are base on standard phonetic symbols which are fairly constant and international in nature, used for conveying various meanings when used singly or in combinations. Navies use them to convey a series of coded messages to the fleet using a preset code book when radio silence is desired. I know the type and nature of some flags have evolved over time, replacing pennant shaped with rectangular, and borrowing flags from various nations into the internationally used set, the premise for communication between international ships sort of requires they have standard meaning to be of any real use. I'm sure the old Navy salts out there can clarify and correct me, but this is my understanding as a merchant mariner.

You might find this page of some interest on this subject: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/xf~sfh.html#history

Cheers!
Jim
Old 09-25-2012, 07:06 AM

Cool, thanks James.
This is going to be page heavy at 1/150 scale but worth it I think. A lot of great details. The 1/250 scale version is going to appear simplified. I hope everything fits!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
That's the down side to 1/150....not being able to fit many of the parts on one sheet!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:42 PM

A few pics of the test build from Joe!
Attached Thumbnails
USS Cimarron Civil War gunboat-flagsandsails1.jpg   USS Cimarron Civil War gunboat-pa050072.jpg   USS Cimarron Civil War gunboat-pa050075.jpg   USS Cimarron Civil War gunboat-pa060044.jpg  
Old 10-18-2013, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 79.93 MB
My appreciation

Hello Corry ,

my appreciation, it is a good looking modell.
Beside that, it is quite difficult to design a full hull model.

My Admiration to you and your Design

Best wishes from the other side of the big Lake ;-))))

Thomas
Old 05-24-2014, 04:41 PM

Getting closer! Back at it. Should be ready soon...
Attached Thumbnails
USS Cimarron Civil War gunboat-1uss-cimmaron-cover.jpg   USS Cimarron Civil War gunboat-cannon-parts2.jpg  
Old 05-24-2014, 08:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks like an excellent model, Corey.

Don
Old 05-26-2014, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 28.80 MB
Looks great!
Old 05-26-2014, 12:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.38 MB
its been my experience that when working the rigging you have to take into consideration the way the sails were deployed because it affects the way the dead eyes, turn buckles and rigging equiptment were attached to the bulworks, deck and yard arms..
Google Adsense