PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Steam Punk project

OK, while waiting for a few test builds I am working on a gondola for a steam punk double air ship based on my 20 y/o designs. It is based on the typical walking beam engine side wheel paddle boat of the Victorian era. Except the small paddles have been replace by large gears to drive two counter rotaiting ddriveshafts with large fans to propell the air ship. Eventually, the gondola will be hung from two side by side air ships with an extra long funnel to get that nasty smoke over the ships. So far I am happy with.

Now I know that a small walking beam engine and, coal, and gondola structure would be way too heavy for this but it should look neat.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
Steam Punk project-steam-punkpost1.jpg   Steam Punk project-steam-punkpost2.jpg   Steam Punk project-steam-punkpost3.jpg  
Old 08-11-2012, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Impratical, no chance of it working (at least very well); but wonderfully wierd. Will be following along with anticipation of how you work out the details
Old 08-11-2012, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
Now I know that a small walking beam engine and, coal, and gondola structure would be way too heavy for this but it should look neat.
CT
Yep, they are supposed to look neat, not practicable. That looks neat. Lots of rivets & seams & such.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:26 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Cool! I love steam punk. Brass and copper is a must. Riveted copper skinning would be the bomb. Maybe an ornate brass crown atop the smokestack. Will you be installing a manual tiller to operate the rudder? The gears look nice. A feature of Victorian machinery was unnecessary ornateness, so you're on the right track.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
As long as you have a smokestack, you might as well make it work....use a couple of hot air balloons instead of gas bags, and duct the gas stacks into the bottom of the balloons. That would be more in keeping with the victorian era. Phineas Fogg used a balloon, not a dirigible.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
A little more work. The basic engine, air pumps and cylinder steam chest are done. I think it may be a pit over detailed but...

I like the pumping air into the bolloons. I just need a shape, cigar or classic? Hmm
Attached Thumbnails
Steam Punk project-steam-punkpost4.jpg   Steam Punk project-steam-punkpost5.jpg   Steam Punk project-steam-punkpost7.jpg   Steam Punk project-steam-punkpost6.jpg  
Old 08-11-2012, 04:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks terrific! I think in the alternate universe in which this splendid conveyance exists cast iron and coal are much lighter (or perhaps the air is denser).

Darwin's suggestion makes sense, but the idea of the tall stack (with the ornate brass crown) poking up between the twin dirigible hulls is overwhelmingly appealing. Perhaps two versions, the hot air one with short stacks and the one that is lifted by phlogiston with the tall stack.

Don
Old 08-11-2012, 04:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Classic, by all means. With steampunk there is no such thing as too many thingies on the structure. And for all you steampunkers out there not aware of Agatha H., go immediately to www.girlgeniusonline.com and enjoy. And, to really guild the lily...you need some billowing sails sticking out from the side of the gondola as well as the fans on the stern.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Perhaps two versions, the hot air one with short stacks and the one that is lifted by phlogiston with the tall stack.

Don
Haha. Had to look that one up, Don. Now I've been phlogisticated!

Corey, this looks like it's going to be a real winner! As a devout Steampunker myself, my only suggestion would be for more of everything.
Chris
Old 08-11-2012, 05:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Awesomely excellent CT! Ain't no such thing as "too much" in the world of Steam Punkery.
Google Adsense