PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 11-02-2012, 06:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Diana gunboat 1/250 scale waterline

here is a light CSN gunboat of 230 tons or so, originally armed with five rifles. (I know, I show her armed with Dahlgrens but I had those made already!)

This boat was CSN altered and was probably armored with wood only, although she may have had cotton backing as well.

She was captured by the Union Navy in early 1862 and refitted as a transport. (I do not know what this re-fitting entailed.)

She was recaptured a month later by a Confederate shore battery near Bayou Teche along with some of her Union Infantry.

The Diana was converted back to a gunboat and used in action on the Bayou against Union ships and positions. At one point a Union rifle shell pierced her wood armor and exploded in the engine room, killing both engineers and breaking stuff. The Damage was fixed and she continued to serve.

In April of 1863 after staying behind to cover a Confederate Army retreat the crew of the Diana burned their vessel to prevent it's capture.

In 1972 the Army Corp of Engineers destroyed and removed what was left of the sunken hulk.

I do not know how close I came to the original ship as there is little info on the physical appearance of this highly active little vessel.

I relied heavily on similar vessels built in the late 1850s of the same tonnage.

This should make an enjoyable little build and I predict no major parts issues so this should be available soon!

CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Diana gunboat 1/250 scale waterline-css-dianna.jpg   CSS Diana gunboat 1/250 scale waterline-css-dianna2.jpg   CSS Diana gunboat 1/250 scale waterline-css-dianna3.jpg   CSS Diana gunboat 1/250 scale waterline-css-dianna4.jpg  
Old 11-02-2012, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.28 MB
CT,

Looks like another winner.

Mike
Old 11-03-2012, 03:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
...and another one! If you had a real shipyard you'd be rich by now!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Here is this model at ecards for those who want yet another gunboat! (Can you have too many?)

CSS Diana