PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 03-21-2014, 09:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
USS Covington tinclad number 25

Well, even though I have a number of projects already going, I did this. It's a rendition of number 25 tinclad, the USS Covington. It needs work still, as I am not completely happy with it. And I have a lot of details to add yet. The final model will be in 1/250 scale in full hull or waterline. It just doesn't look right yet
Attached Thumbnails
USS Covington tinclad number 25-h55502.jpg   USS Covington tinclad number 25-image002.jpg   USS Covington tinclad number 25-post4.jpg   USS Covington tinclad number 25-post5.jpg   USS Covington tinclad number 25-post6.jpg  

USS Covington tinclad number 25-post7.jpg  
Old 03-22-2014, 06:27 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
It's coming along well, CT, but I see what you mean about it not looking right. Comparing your rendering with the 2nd B&W photo, I see a few things, although these may be caused by perspective: most obviously is the pilot house(?) up on top. Looks like it needs to be rotated 90 degrees. In the photo, the bow apears less pointed, with the guns and superstructure closer to the front. The upper walkway that runs downs the sides appears wider in the photo. The lifeboat appears smaller in the photo, too. If you bounce back and forth between the 2nd and third photos these discrepancies jump out at you.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
It also appears that the lower deck is too low and the upper deck is too high. Both by a "bit." Assuming/guessing that the troops are about 5'-6" and that your figure isn't to any particular scale, but modern in proportions.

The main deck in the photos seems to have a very wide overhang, yet none in your drawings.

Never the less your sketches have captured the chunkiness of the prototype.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Playing with Google Images. It appears that you have nailed USS Fort Hindman. Note the various features that are different from the photo of the Covington.I also found a nice gaming model of the Covington that is recent. But, again, it appears to actually be the Hindmanin terms of the deck proportions in width, height and overhang. My guess is that the Covington was built for cargo and livestock which usually meant open decks that were roofed for some weather protection. Cheap, chunky construction and a shallow draft were characteristic.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Covington tinclad number 25-uss_fort_hindman_61569.jpg  
Old 03-23-2014, 12:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.64 MB
Covington or Fort Hindman it looks like it will be a really interesting build. I will follow with interest.

Benihana
Google Adsense
Old 01-18-2017, 01:21 PM

Another lost project. I home it is on my storage hard drive. My computer blow up and I need a new one before vontinuing with so many projects...
Old 01-19-2017, 10:41 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Looking forward to your progress on this.

I'm having to hunt a computer too and can relate to the difficulty!
Old 01-28-2017, 04:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 28.80 MB
I also hope the Tyler model can be resurrected. What you had started looked right on the money.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:06 PM

Thanks guys. Hopefully soon I can get back to these!