PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard's torpedo boat idea

Although there was an ironclad build craze sweeping the south after the 1862 fight at Hampton Roads Virginia, not everyone was thrilled with the heavily armored beasts. Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard was a critic of the ironclads, and wrote the government repeatedly for a change of tactic. The General favored "shot proof" torpedo boats. Small, with good engines, to swarm the Union blockaders. He envisioned that the engines and armor could be prefabricated in England and run through the blockade. He thought that such ships could be made superior too and for less cost then the home built ironclads.

I took great artistic license with his idea! A 100 foot long torpedo boat with two shots. Armored with English rolled iron. Two engines, screws and just enough room for coal for short trips. Perfect for ambush and bay defense.

I am considering making a model from this digital. Again, no documentation of concept drawings, just my thoughts on Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard's letters.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard's torpedo boat idea-torpedo-boat-1.jpg   Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard's torpedo boat idea-torpedo-boat-2.jpg   Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard's torpedo boat idea-torpedo-boat-3.jpg   Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard's torpedo boat idea-torpedo-boat-4.jpg   Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard's torpedo boat idea-torpedo-boat-5.jpg  

Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard's torpedo boat idea-torpedo-boat-6.jpg  
Old 04-04-2014, 03:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Looks like a very interesting model and a fine addition to the CSS side of things.

Curt
Old 04-04-2014, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Civil war concept models...shall we call this the 1866 series? Looks to be an interesting addition to the set.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:40 PM

Strangely, the US government took the generals advice after the war with ships like the USS Alarm. Small and maneuverable spar torpedo boats...
Old 04-05-2014, 04:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Looks like "David" will have some company.
Attached Thumbnails
Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard's torpedo boat idea-david-ashley.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-18-2017, 01:17 PM

Wow. I forgot about this. I may need to find it on my hard drive. Oh I need a compu yt? Er. Soon...
Old 01-20-2019, 03:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.69 MB
Can't wait till the store opens again!