PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 06-05-2014, 06:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Huntress, or something like it

t. 500; l. 230'; b. 24'6"; dr. 6'6"; s. 16-20 k. (flat calm); a. 1 to 3 guns)

CSS Huntress was purchased in New York City in March 1861 for the State of Georgia which later relinquished her to the Confederate States Navy. Her first commanding officer was Lt. Wilburn B. Hall, CSN, in that he went North to buy and bring her South; Hall was then detached and reported to Savannah, being succeeded by Lt. C. Manigault Morris, CSN.

Huntress had been a crack Boston-Portland mail packet, "very narrow beam, low in the water, immense side-wheels, painted black"; she had been built at New York City in 1838.

Huntress—first ship to raise the Confederate flag on the high seas, it is claimed—served on the Charleston station during 1861-62, taking part in the battle of Port Royal, S.C., 7 November 1861. During the summer of 1862 she served as a transport in Charleston harbor, taking the duty of Planter (q.v.) which fell into Federal hands. Huntress had been advertised for sale in May but was not sold until 29 October, when she finally went for $133,650 to A. J. White & Son, Charleston merchants. Converting to a blockade runner, she was renamed Tropic.
Attempting to escape to sea with turpentine and cotton on 18 January 1863, she was accidentally burned off Charleston; USS Quaker City rescued passengers and crew."

So, with this info and a single fuzzy picture this is what I came up with. No actual paddle wheels yet. Most of this is guess work but it "looks" right.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Huntress, or something like it-53564632.jpg   CSS Huntress, or something like it-capture.png   CSS Huntress, or something like it-css-huntress-post-3.jpg   CSS Huntress, or something like it-css-huntress-post-4.jpg   CSS Huntress, or something like it-css-huntress-post-5.jpg  

CSS Huntress, or something like it-css-huntress-post-6.jpg  
Old 06-06-2014, 02:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 214.21 MB
well Ct,you have made these little ships your thing,i'm sure your past experience will prevail
Old 06-06-2014, 06:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
I think the bow is slightly too long, the rest seems fine.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:17 PM

Well, not perfect but I am going with it. I need to add the paddles. The kit will come with a number of boxes and kegs as this ship seems to have been supplying Confederate posts with needed goods. I am thinking that originally the deck house was open end to end like some other civilian steamers of the time, and only closed up to offer some little protection to the crew from small arms fire. No pilot house.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Huntress, or something like it-css-huntress-post-4.jpg   CSS Huntress, or something like it-css-huntress-post-5.jpg   CSS Huntress, or something like it-css-huntress-post-7.jpg   CSS Huntress, or something like it-css-huntress-post-10.jpg   CSS Huntress, or something like it-css-huntress-post-8.jpg  

Old 11-08-2014, 06:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
It looks good to me Corey. You may want to (if you haven't already) reasearch other packet boats built and/or serving up north at that time.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:55 PM

Well, I shortened the thing up to look like the picture and I like it, a lot. It seems "right". I also added masts from her packet days, even though the "gun boat" version shows her with the masts removed. These masts would have been not just useful but necessary for removing and loading cargo and for navigation. And I know on many/most Civil War era ships masts were removable, at least down to the last pits even on the bigger ships. Anyhow, all guess work for me, but the model kit will include the parts and diagrams for the minimal rigging if a guy wants to build it so. Or leave em off if you want it to look like the photo! And Oh yeah, it will have a full hull option as well!

And I am using lead red for the hull as she did operate in pre-war salt waterways. And the green trim is... well I want a bit of color. All these Civil War ships are black, gray and white. So maybe some pre-war trim left intact? Anyhow, ideas from y'all are welcomed!
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Huntress, or something like it-css-huntress-post-13.jpg   CSS Huntress, or something like it-css-huntress-post-14.jpg   CSS Huntress, or something like it-css-huntress-post-15.jpg   CSS Huntress, or something like it-css-huntress-post-16.jpg  
Old 12-23-2014, 02:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 81.41 MB
For me , the color is not important , it is important to outline the shape of the original . Base colors can only be historical records if they exist

Greetings Henryk
Old 12-25-2014, 07:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
A new CT's Paperclads model, awesome!

Wyvern
Old 12-25-2014, 07:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Love it !!!
Merry Christmas, sincerely, Joe
Old 12-29-2014, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Looks the part, Corey.