PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 03-03-2017, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
rebuilding my programs, i think I need help

I now have a second hand computer and I plan to get working on some of these older projects. Luckily I had all of them saved safe and sound on an external hard drive. What I do not have is a simple unfolding tool for sketchup. I have "flattery" on sketchup now but it is too much. Over kill. I like a simple point and click unfolding tool that I have complete control over. The old simple one I used to use seems to be no longer available.

My wife and son say I need to upgrade to newer programs. Fine. But I also want to use the correct tool for the job. Flattery seems both too restrictive and too much at the same time. I can learn to use it if I need to but it seems like I will be undoing a lot of the auto work it does. Like I said, I want direct control...

Any ideas or help o this would be appreciated greatly. Does anyone have a simple unfolding tool? I keep looking but flattery and the link to the old tool now defunked keep showing up...

Thanks...
Old 03-05-2017, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
Hi Corey,

No direct answer for you. But can you describe what you used to do to create your models and unfold? I presume you used Sketchup and an associated plugin for unfolding.

Flattery does seem to be about the only current unfolding plugin for Sketchup. I did come across another but it seems to have been abandoned a number of years ago--I have no idea if it would run on more current Sketchup versions. I don't run Sketchup (mostly because I don't run a Windows system) so I can't really evaluate the plugins.

However, I too am searching for a simple but capable unfolding tool which gives as much control as possible to the user. Blender does have an 'paper model' plugin which works but doesn't give the user a great deal of control over the output. Of course, I'm sure you're familiar with Pepekura which seems quite popular.

I'm heavily leaning towards writing an extension for FreeCAD to perform unfolding. Consequently, I'd like to see what sort of a work flow and features possible user would prefer.

Thanks,

--jeff