PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 04-29-2019, 07:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
How small is too small?

I am working on a new model in 1/250 scale and it has 20 exposed cannon. For those who normally build my 1/250 scale ironclads you know my generic guns are pretty simple as they are buried inside casemates. So I built a shell gun at this scale. It has a 14 piece carriage and 16 piece barrel. It takes a bit of doing.

So my question is, is the final build worth the effort for this small detail? This would be times 20 for this upcoming model.
Attached Thumbnails
How small is too small?-a153.jpg   How small is too small?-b153.jpg   How small is too small?-c153.jpg   How small is too small?-20190429_204955.jpg   How small is too small?-20190429_205002.jpg  

Old 04-30-2019, 02:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 488.89 MB
Yes it si worth the effort, at least for me. Because theese small details make the model shine.

But I would also include simple version for builder to choose himself, because not everyone is into details so small.

Extensions for X-wing
Old 04-30-2019, 06:03 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Quote:
But I would also include simple version for builder to choose himself, because not everyone is into details so small.
I agree. Many modelers (myself included) would find a 30 piece canon in 1/250 scale to be a major turnoff. At that small scale, a black silhouette of the gun laminated to 1.0mm card would probably be fine. The carriage might be realized in three doubled pieces - a simple cradle with the sides bent upwards, and two small wheels.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Thanks guys! I will do that. I will include the insanely little full gun and carriage models as well as a set of my normal generic guns (that do not actually look bad at that scale) Below is a picture of the simplified gun (not built by me but my kit) on the CSS Pee Dee. Dressed up it looks pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
How small is too small?-css-pee-dee-2.jpg  
Old 04-30-2019, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
In this model the effort is worth it, the guns on the deck is the first thing that catches our eyes. But we can not all build such small things. Good choice to put both options.
Google Adsense
Old 04-30-2019, 03:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I tend to go with both options. Include a simple version for normal builders, and the detailed micro version for the masochists.