PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 01-25-2020, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Yadkin full hull in 1/72 scale

Another one from the great book by John Wallis, otherwise known as rebel at sea. The CSS Yadkin was a small gunboat that seems to have been built, used in crusis, then simply stripped of armor. Maybe misused might be a better term.She was captured intact as a wooden gunboat at wars end. John lays out the details on page 77 in his book, "Ironclad and iron protected vessels of the Confederate Navy" John also suggests that some of the river ironclad in North Carolina may have been initially painted a dark pine green, and this is what I went with as I find it so different than the usual colours. At only 130 feet in overall length and 1.5 or 2 inches of armor and no provision for a pilot house she is an odd duck. But that's what I like.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Yadkin full hull in 1/72 scale-77a.jpg   CSS Yadkin full hull in 1/72 scale-77b.jpg   CSS Yadkin full hull in 1/72 scale-77c.jpg   CSS Yadkin full hull in 1/72 scale-77d.jpg   CSS Yadkin full hull in 1/72 scale-77e.jpg  

Old 01-25-2020, 02:24 PM

It should be a pretty basic and easy ironclad model to build and like all of mine, you could go crazy adding details like railings and other deck clutter or leave them plain. Not sure what all the original might of had. I am also guessing that crews for the two 8 inch guns might of been hard to find in 1865.. might somewhat explain this boats limited used. The CSN had major manpower issues.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Yadkin full hull in 1/72 scale-css-yadkin-parts.jpg  
Old 01-25-2020, 10:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
you could go crazy adding details like railings and other deck clutter or leave them plain. Not sure what all the original might of had.
Speaking of guessing, I'd guess they went minimalist - if it isn't there it won't get shot off and take something else with it when it falls in the river.
And what isn't there doesn't require manpower to maintain it.

Being painted green is an interesting thing.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:57 AM

The green paint is interesting. Reading John's book and reading other sources it seems pretty clear that whatever color was used on Confederate ironclads had more to do with availability of the paint then actual planning. And once the paint was gone maintenance must of been hard. And any home made combination of making the metal and wood rust/rot resistant would've also made it prone to lite up. Iron armor may not burn but if the "paint" used catches lite then that could not be good! So many problems.

As for the deck clutter I am guessing that "less is more" may be true. From art work the early ironclads of the South were decked out with all the "stuff" on a ship in any navy, but I know that by late war the "government" was having trouble issuing cotton canvas flies to the CSS Georgia. Yep. No cotton canvas in a King Cotton state by late war. And the CSS Chattahoochee had all her deck clutter (anchors, rigging, sails, ropes) stolen at least once when in for repairs after a boiler explosion. So a little gun boat like the Yadkin may have been low down on the food chain. This may be why her thin armor was stripped from her late in the war. However, having a working engine should have given her points.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
Thank you Corey. The source of the info on the pine green paint came from the Ft Branch Historical Society, which is about as close to the horses mouth as I suppose you can get now. They were also the reason why a couple of otherwise "interesting but unproven" vessels in North Carolina changed category to proven and were included.
Google Adsense
Old 05-30-2020, 08:31 AM

Thank you John.. Now that I have managed my move to our new place I can find time to get back to this, and other projects..
Old 06-28-2020, 05:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 789.36 MB
Interested in purchasing

Howdy, C T Ertz!
I love the CW era warships you design, and would love to purchase more at Ecard Models. However, it seems that since they repaired/rebooted/updated their site, all of your products have vanished.

Could you please take a look and see if there is some sort of glitch at Ecard Models?

Many thanks!
Old 08-22-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtime Cthulhu View Post
Howdy, C T Ertz!
I love the CW era warships you design, and would love to purchase more at Ecard Models. However, it seems that since they repaired/rebooted/updated their site, all of your products have vanished.

Could you please take a look and see if there is some sort of glitch at Ecard Models?

Many thanks!

Thanks,
I have not gotten around to re-establishing my ecard model models! I really need to decide what I want to do with all that. Originally I was going to edit and polish each one before submitting them back to ecards. I would still like to but everything is crazy in my life right now. Work. Move. School. Grandkids. Anyhow, one way or another I guess I will get them out.

Thank you for your kind words!
Old 08-22-2020, 02:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Take your time, Corey. Your many fans will patiently await your model’s return.

Wyvern