PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 07-30-2009, 04:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Wimington take two!

OK, getting brave here. Some many people were helpful when I had questions about programs and how to use them that I am continuing on with a Civil War ironclad project.

Here are my first two parts of my CSS Wilmington. The main deck will get the dead lights punched out of it and then will be glued to the under deck. I plan on using a small piece of transparent tape over the blue color, so when it is sandwiched together, it will look like heay glass counter sunck well into the thick wooden deck. I got the idia from how some of you do the insterment panels on open cockpit models. The little disks are the dead light cover assembly These may be too complicated at this small scale. Right now the consist of a small disc for the reccesed part to fit into the deadlight deck hole, a larger disk fotr the iron cover and a smaller disk for the top senter that would have contained some sort of folding handle. These things would have been heavy, the dead lights on the blue print look to be about a yard in diameter.

I am not real happy about how the colors and details translated from Sketchup to Gimp. I guess that I need a lot more work on that. My problemnow is sizing-scaling. I want to run this in 1:250 scale. It is printing out at 1:316.25 scale. I see in gimp that you can change the scale by percent, but I just need to figure out the math.

There will be a third part tothe deck, the iron rim that will be raised slightly around the outer edge, and a raised iron disc that covered the rudder gear in the stern. I may blacket the hold hatch area on the sub deck piece and cut out the white areas on the deck, so when the raised hatch covers are assembled and grated, there wil be a real 3-d effect.

Now on to the deck fixtures. Any one know the size of the ancher for a ship that was 224 feet long back then?

I will have more soon.
CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Wimington take two!-try-1.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Good job on the deck

Old 08-03-2009, 09:29 AM

Thanks Barry. I am getting there now. The detailing is taking some time though. So much to learn.

Here is a shot of the unfolded turret, still adding the RR armor.

I am stilllearning Gimp though
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Wimington take two!-wilmington-assembly-1.jpg   CSS Wimington take two!-turret-work.jpg  
Old 08-03-2009, 09:32 AM

No idea about the anchor, but this looks really good so far!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:38 AM

Thanks Jim.
I am not to worried bout the add ons at this point. On the blue-print I see no plans for a capstan,no boat divots and no anchor details. My guess is all of that would have been scavenged from whatever else was available when the ship got finished. With so much flat deck space,I am guessing that some provitions would have been made for masts and ridge supports for deck awnings as well.
Google Adsense
Old 08-03-2009, 10:48 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Nice work. You are teaching me a lot about Civil War Ironclads.
Mike
Old 08-03-2009, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
Thanks Barry. I am getting there now. The detailing is taking some time though. So much to learn.

Here is a shot of the unfolded turret, still adding the RR armor.

I am stilllearning Gimp though
Personally, I would do it in Inkscape, then touch it up in GIMP.

Ryan
Old 08-03-2009, 07:41 PM

Thanks Ryan, But I do not know that program either. Do you find it easir then gimp?

Here is the aft turret. These are really small casements or towers as they are fixed to the ship in did not turn.

The turret was three layers of 2 by 8 inch flattened rails backed by almost 2 feet of wood. Almost no metal was given to the flat horizontals, as plunging fire was as rare as Confederate iron, so all decks are wood, even the turret top. The aft pilot/gunnery house was not grated over as the turret top is, and I added a thin sheet of boiler plate as well. Not for protection from enemy fire but for a barrier from the muzzle blast of the big rifled cannon inches above! The top grating was probebly removable as a way in or out of the turret when not in action.

Feed back and suggstions would be great!

I have not added tabs yet, and may not.

I am shooting for 1:250 scale to go with Avery's Monitors, but I would like to do one in 1/72 scale as well because of the about of detail that can be brought out.

I need to find out how to do the layers thing in gimp or any other program so I can make the main part of each armor plate gray but have the edges showing fresh rust.

Any how, thanks for looking. More soon.:o
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Wimington take two!-aft-turret.jpg  
Old 08-04-2009, 09:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Looks fantastic Corey, can't wait to see more of it! Definitely worthy of dueling with my monitors! :D

[email protected]
Old 08-04-2009, 11:04 AM

Thanks Avery. I lost that turret when I closed out of sketchup and clicked the do not save button by accident! I had to start over with the detailing, but I did discover I had two gun ports out of alignment and I had one extra, so that has been corrected. I have been detailing the other turret, and it goes faster the more I do it! I hope to have all of the deck fixtures done today if real life dose not intrude too much.

First day of school and I only have to deal with the 5 year old. He is home schooled, and his mom did reading and phonics already, and I finished math. We will do a bit more today, but her was so cooperative that it all went fast.

If the Confederates stuck to the plan when building this beast, and if the engines were reliable, and they put in big brooks rifles, then this would have been able to put up a good show with even the most heavily armed Monitors! I do not think that even the 6.5 inch brooks rifle would have done much to the 8 inches of armor on a monitors turret, but the good design of the Wilmington would have alowd it to live long enough to torture the US Navy's wooden ships, and if armed with a spar torpedo, then the monitors may have been in trouble too. But it just came along too late to help the South....

I should have more pics soon!
CT
Google Adsense