PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 08-17-2009, 03:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
Thanks. I was afraid I put them too high. I am planning on putting together a spar torpedo PDF in the same scale for those who want it. Many Confederate ships had them along with their rams, but do to poor engines and poor stering ability, they were not really effective. The Albemarle had good engines so was able to ram the South Field, and the Virginia/Marimack was able to ram the Cumberland because the Cumberland had no engines. I do not know if any ram ever had a chance to use thier spar torpedos. But they look cool, so I will see about getting it together.

I have also made progress on my CSS Fredericksburg as well. Too much fun.

I have been thinking about the larger scale idea, and I may start with a cut-a-way style section of a typical Casement, sat one Brookes rifle on a pivot, thick wooden walls, two-three layers of plate. That kind of thing. At 1:"72 scale the things like wire rings for ropes and block and tackles are doable. Just thinking....
PLEASE:D:D:D. The spar torpedo would be a neat little detail to add as well, that way you can display w/all her teeth. Anything in 1/72 would be great. All one would need to do was purchase those little civil war soldiers and modify to crew the section!!!!!
Please don't teaseRick PS: CSS Albermarle w/full detail 1/72????????? Soft spot f/a Carolina boy.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
It is interesting that the Ironclad river gunboats on both sides often had an Army/Navy compliment, so in a Confederate, casement, you can outfit the gun crew with Amy Artillerymen and the Marines have the same uniform mostly.
CT
Old 08-18-2009, 07:20 AM

I am also working on a recolor for the Virginia II, in rust. I like the all gray/steel look of the new armor but apparently they didn't stay that way long.

I like the Albrmarle too, I read that it was hit some 500 times on May 5th 1864 and suffered no real damage! Not bad for a home built ship.
CT
Old 08-18-2009, 09:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Amen, she was a tough gal, and as you brought out, built on a river bank. Ironclads have a mystic about them to me, they meaning in the beginning w/CSS Merrimac appeared from nowhere, built on the back of another ship, were true fighting vessels designed to send the enemy to the bottom. and they changed the face of naval design, now this also includes the Monitors as well. I as a boy would get to spend the summer with a Aunt that lived @ Hampton Rd.s, VA. and I would go to the place where the battle took place and watch to see if I could catch a glimpse of that battle in my mind. Keep up the great work. I like what you are doing.:DRick
Old 08-18-2009, 04:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
Papercut,
I am currently in the Fairfax/Chantilly/Herndon VA area on business. We are providing on-site customer support and someone has to be physically here until November 1st and we trade out among 4 of us. I keep promising myself to get down to Newport News to see the salvaged turret of the Monitor that is on display at the National Maritime Museum during a weekend during the time I am here (normally 2-3 weeks at a time).

There is a LOT of rich Civil War history here and I am awed and revered when I visit the battlesites by the honor and courage of those who fought for their beliefs. Don't get me wrong (I don't mean to get in a morality debate), I abhor war, but I appreciate the sacrifice of those who fought, were wounded, and died. As a retired military member, I am proud of my service to our country and I go out of my way to personally thank each and every service member that I meet in my travels.

On another note, I'm trying to weasel a way to confirm I will be here also the weekend of October 24-25 for the paper model convention in Herndon. My hotel is only 3 miles away! I hope to bring a surprise too!

Best Regards,

Last edited by Ron Caudillo; 08-18-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-18-2009, 05:44 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Caudillo View Post
On another note, I'm trying to weasel a way to confirm I will be here also the weekend of October 24-25 for the paper model convention in Herndon. My hotel is only 3 miles away! I hope to bring a surprise too!

Best Regards,
Ron,

I hope to see you there, looking forward to meeting you, and talking models

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-18-2009, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 179.33 MB
ct here a couple of shots. don't know much about ironclads. i'm a southern boy at heart tho.
http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/a...ronclad007.jpg
http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/a...ronclad004.jpg
hope this is what you are looking for gary
Old 08-18-2009, 08:36 PM

Thanks Gary,
Great job. Did it go together well for you? It looks great. Thanks,
CT
Old 08-18-2009, 08:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 179.33 MB
ct worked ok rolled the chimney the wrong way to start with but was able to recover from that lol. even got some of the gun port covers made. didn't get the flag up yet. my first boat so a little mystifying but enjoyed the process thanks for the opportunity gary
Old 08-22-2009, 11:59 PM

I have this model reworked and just waiting on the beta build and pictures! I have it in the original and the battle hardened form. So this will be added to my list of the CSS Wilmington and the CSS Federicksburg! I am now working on a casement cut a way section of a typical casement ironclad, and the CSS Squib, the CSS Richmond, the CSS Jackson, and the CSS Arkansas. Wow, a lot on my plate.WHat to finish first...
Google Adsense