PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 08-22-2009, 10:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
I am just waiting for the build and pictures!
You ain't the only one!

Patiently waiting. Gonna build it myself!

Thanks CT!

Russell
Old 08-24-2009, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Just to let everyone know, I put up a simple 1;250 scale model of a spar torpedo in the downloads. Pretty plain at that scale but with a little thread added as a trigger line I think it will serve,
CT
Old 09-04-2009, 09:20 AM

My beta builders have done a great job reviewing the kit and I have made some corrections and have got a kit together ready for sale. I made a model of my own last night, experimenting with different colored paper for back ground colors. For quick build, it didn't come out bad. I hope to see some great shots of other models soon, as mine was just a quickie.

Having others (at least two) build your model and pitch ideas/changes is sure the way to go. You end up with a great kit incorporating instruction details and corrections that you would have never hit on! Thanks guys,
CT.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Fredericksburg coming soon!-2-fredericksburg-kit-page-contents.jpg   CSS Fredericksburg coming soon!-dsc00167.jpg   CSS Fredericksburg coming soon!-dsc00168.jpg   CSS Fredericksburg coming soon!-dsc00170.jpg   CSS Fredericksburg coming soon!-dsc00171.jpg  

Old 09-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I have recieved the files and will get it put up this weekend!
Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-04-2009, 08:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very impressive CT. The way you have gone from zero to pro on these models amazes me. I'm embarrassed that I have plodded along so slowly with my one and only design attempt.

The texturing is great, has a very hard worked look to it.
Google Adsense
Old 09-04-2009, 09:05 PM

Thanks! I have always liked ironclads, the home built Confederate on most of all. They were almost medieval in concept, the casement being the armor and the cannon being the sword, yet they were high tech for the period.
Gen. Beauregard thought them defective in six ways, slow, too deep of draft, seaworthy, armor was too week, could not fight beyond 1.5 miles range do to gun ports restricting elevation, and they were costly.

Well he was right mostly. Building fewer but better armored ships using the light draft paddle wheeled designs may have been better. Armoring the paddle boxes and decks would have used up huge amounts of armor but would have allowed for light draft, improved seaworthiness (at least in harbors and rivers) better gun platforms, larger gun ports and they needed to triple layer it all! Having the room, dual engines would have improved the speed and reliability. But the General had other thought altogether.

Beauregard wanted small, fast boats, with out guns, armored above the water, and armed with "repeating" spar torpedo. The small torpedo boats really did inflict far more damage per cost then did the ironclads, with the exception of the Albemarle, the Virginia during the March 8th, '62 fight, and the Arkansas. And these victories were for the most part unrepeatable. So advancing th idea of armored torpedo boats was a good idea. I always thought that the Confederate ironclads should have ignored the Union Monitors alltogether and go after only wooded ships. But...
Old 09-05-2009, 06:49 PM

For anyone interested Chris got right to work and this model is now available at his shop for $2.50. Th link: 1/250 CSS Fredericksburg by CT Ertz - ECardmodels.com Shop - Downloadable models and crafts for

W will have some more pictures soon...
Old 09-05-2009, 07:30 PM

Thanks CT for such a well designed model!
This one will stay at the top of my, "after I get some ink", to do list!
Sorry, I couldn't be of more help.

I do look forward to being of more assistance in the future though!

Russell
Old 09-05-2009, 07:39 PM

Oh Russell, you had a number of great suggestions that greatly impoved the lay out (and spelling) of all four of my models so far. I like consistency, so a good idea on one model transfers well to all of my designs. I look forward to your thoughts on this and future builds! I am finding that it is best if you have two people (other then yourself) test build, and you get a lot of great info!

Corey.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:53 PM

Cool! I'm glad you think so!
You will definitely get help here in this forum!
In the words of Yoda,
A privilege it is, to give you a hand, I believe!

Russell

Last edited by Amazyah; 09-05-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Google Adsense