PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 09-09-2009, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Palmetto State 1-72 scale

I had a bunch ask so I am starting a new project. I am real bad at getting side tracked with something new so I figured if this is ever getting done, I had better start a thread on it.

This is (will be) the CSS Palmetto State, a 172 foot long ironclad with four guns, operating with good effect from 1862-65. It had a long career as Confederate ironclads go, and even though it was built around a real small stam engine, the engine was reliable. It might make only five knots, but at least it could always make at last five knots. Some faster ironclads were oftin left dead in the water when the bigger engine quit working!

The model will be rather detailed. I have includd a picture of the top deck, the deck above the casement.The openings will be for the pilot house (locaded aft in the old navy style!) the stack, the vent, and som gratd hatch ways with removable hatches. Also, a gally stove pipe will come up through one of the hatches. The csemnt will have a removable side to show the guns, two Brookes pivots, and two Dahlgrens on old fashioned trucks. Seperat interior pieces will include the deck rails for the pivots, wench for the anchor chains, ladders, pilot house stand with double wheel and gally stove.

I have the basic ship done from the waterline up and I will probebly make this a full hull model. I also have the barrel done for the Brooks gun and I am working on the pivot now.

And as a side note, when I get the Pivot and Bookes gun ready, I am going to put it up in the free downloads so you can get an idea of what this beast will be like. I hope that I have not bit off more then I can chew!

The finished length should be around 28 inches long.
Google Adsense
Old 09-09-2009, 10:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
CT, your design skills have developed at warp speed (or "full steam", to be more in the spirit of your chosen era)!

I'm looking forward to seeing this beast! I know that you will create a superior model that will inspire the rest of us amateur designers.

Wyvern
Old 09-09-2009, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence Wyvern. I just hope now that I have committed myself that I don't go nuts!

I am finding that a good way to learn to dsign ship models is to build a lot of ships! With Morck's Civil War ships, he did a great job of combining 2d and 3d parts to give good impressions. Drago's ships are good examples of how to get the right look and feel with limited or no compound curves. Paper Ship Wright uses a lot of great detail with options, and Avery knows how to use good metal colors to bring to life what would otherwise be rather dark and flat monitors. Digital Navy is tops at muti-folding small parts! I keep all these thoughts bouncing around in my head when working on a design.

I like the Palmetto State because it is a great combination of old school and new school ship making. I love the way the pilot, helmsmen and Captain all stand on the quarter deck (in this case a small raised platform) and command the ship from the back! Just like on the old sailing ships, except for the armor and stuff!

I will get some more done today I hope!
CT
Old 09-09-2009, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
If you want any beta-building done, you have lots of fans to do it!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
love the Palmetto State-have built this one before from another designer....
Google Adsense
Old 09-10-2009, 01:47 PM

CSS Palmetto State 1-72 scale-acsspalomettostatediagram1.jpgHere is a diagram of the laminated deck parts. The lower parts are 1mm the top parts are card. This piece will lay on the top of the knuckle frame work.
CT
Old 09-10-2009, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
looks awesome!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 04:15 PM

Here is the layout for one of the little details on the inside. This is a small wood fired cast iron stove. In good time it could heat coffee and fry catfish! In most times well...don't ask. The Gun deck seems a bit improbable at first until you see how crowded the lower deck must have been! I wounder if a wood fire would have been hot enough to heat shot for the Dahlgrens for hot shot? Hmmm...
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Palmetto State 1-72 scale-csspalomettostate6pb.jpg  
Old 09-10-2009, 05:27 PM

A few more shots, the stairs and again with the stove. Now for the wheel and pilot platform...
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Palmetto State 1-72 scale-css-palometto-state-stairs.jpg   CSS Palmetto State 1-72 scale-css-palometto-state-stove.jpg  
Old 09-10-2009, 05:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looking great. Look forward to this one!:DRick
Google Adsense