PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 12-20-2010, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Little Rock Vessel, Confederate ironclad

I have another Nashville "class" gunboat being readied for launch after the first of the year, this one from Little Rock, Arkansas. Designed by James Warner, this 271 foot long sidewheeler was to be armed with 7 guns (probably a mix of rifles and smooth bore). The steam engines, transfered from an excising riverboat, would have been capable of driving this monster at 9 or 10 knots. The outer knuckle protecting the paddle wheel housing has been oddly raised well above the water line (possibly to reduce drag?) and the casemate, and outside face of the paddle-box would have received four inches of armor. I left the decks unprotected wood, and the ship as a whole will follow the same layout as the other large Nashville-like ships built (or started) by the South. I like this one because I was unawere that Little Rock produced any ships during the War, but they seemed to have built (or started) at least three.

I once again need to thank John Wallis for sharing his research and three way drawings with me for this ship. I am waiting breathlessly for his book to be published! I would love to know what other IC ships he has uncovered!

CT
Attached Thumbnails
Little Rock Vessel, Confederate ironclad-little-rock-vesselpost1.jpg   Little Rock Vessel, Confederate ironclad-little-rock-vesselpost2.jpg   Little Rock Vessel, Confederate ironclad-little-rock-vesselpost3.jpg   Little Rock Vessel, Confederate ironclad-little-rock-vesselpost4.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 01:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I looked up 'prolific' in the dictionary and there was just a picture of CT...
Old 12-20-2010, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Yeah, It's strange but true. Looking forward to seeing this one. Hey, Tex, you gonna volunteer to Beta this one?
Lep
Old 12-20-2010, 06:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Very nice looking ship, of course, being from Arkansas has nothing to do with this observation for me.....

Looking forward to seeing what develops.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
I note Corey has shown her with the J.L.Porter armour arrangement over the paddles.
James Warner had a penchant for simplicity, and I wonder if this applied to this design too. Any thoughts anyone?
Google Adsense
Old 01-14-2011, 06:05 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Hmm, just saw this. Wonder where I've been? This one will for sure be built to show off at the model club.

Jay, where in AR are you from? Me and the wife settled here (her home) after retiring from Creech a couple of years ago.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:55 AM
Banned

I remember reading a lot of paddle wheelers wee confiscated on both sides for war duty. Even in WW2, 2 paddle wheelers were converted into an aircraft carriers for training on the Great Lakes. Very cool. Must have been hot as heck in there. Nice Sauna in the Winter though!
Attached Thumbnails
Little Rock Vessel, Confederate ironclad-nashville-h76387.jpg   Little Rock Vessel, Confederate ironclad-uss-lexington.jpg   Little Rock Vessel, Confederate ironclad-usswolverine.jpg   Little Rock Vessel, Confederate ironclad-u.s.s.-sable.jpg  
Old 01-15-2011, 08:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Hi Ray,

I was from a little town up in the northwest part of the state named Clarksville. Nice little place to grow up in, great hunting and fishing. Just couldn't make a whole lot of money there.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
I looked up 'prolific' in the dictionary and there was just a picture of CT...

My dictionary now has 3 pictures of CT...
Old 01-23-2011, 11:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
I am really intrigued with the pictures of the USS Wolverine and the USS Sable. Thanks, Zathros. Paddle wheeler aircraft carriers??!! What a marriage of the 19th and 20th centuries. Sort of automatically steam punk by definition. Has anyone thought about modeling them?