PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 07-15-2010, 08:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Confederate Double Ender ironclad in 1/250 scale

I had to do it...With such great information coming from John Wallis, this one poped out at me. It is another "almost ironclad", and if it was ever finished it never fought a battle, being instead used as an obstruction by being sank in the river near wars end.

This Double ended ship had four engines, four screws, two rudders and had two heavy iron rams. The octagonal casement was to be armored with six inches of iron and the base appears to have had a glacis of armor much like the Virginia II. The Pilot house may have been located directlly above the single large caliber rifled gun.

Anyhow, I will be looking for a test builder or two for this one!
CT
Attached Thumbnails
Confederate Double Ender ironclad in 1/250 scale-doubleender1.jpg   Confederate Double Ender ironclad in 1/250 scale-doubleender2.jpg   Confederate Double Ender ironclad in 1/250 scale-doubleender3.jpg  
Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I might as well volunteer once more. Tomorrow is my anniversary, which I will spend building your recolored dismal swamp monster. I think that qualifies as dedication.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
CT, maybe this would break my builders block on the Colorado. Count me in as a volunteer.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.38 MB
That looks very nice, I simply love those early Confederate Ironclads (more than the rather simplystic monitors).
But why is every model I find of one of those, paper or otherwise, in 1/250, there could be a lot of detail in a let's say 1/144 version.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.38 MB
Oh, I forgot to mention in my first post ... : count me in as a guinea pig as well :D
Google Adsense
Old 07-18-2010, 07:04 AM

Hello Dancooper,
I am not sure about the scale. I make the 1.250 scale because the first paper models I made were from Magnus Mork and his are in 1/250 scale. I have been up scaling some of mine to 1/72 scale, but this is proving to be a real project.

CT
Old 07-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I, personally, ask you to continue in 1/250. The models are wonderful.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:34 AM

Well, I may make some of my models available in other scales, but unless the original ship was small (under 60 feet or so) I will probably always make them in 1/250 waterline models. My other scale, 1/72, is used so that those little plastic figures can be used along with the ship.
CT
Old 07-19-2010, 08:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
For what it's worth, most civil war era on the internet are 1:250 scale. Most pre-drednought ships I've found are 1:200 scale. Don't know why, it just tradition.

Anyway, I got the draft version of the model from CT. Once again, the quality is excellent. I would offer two suggestions to CT: if you can tilt the hull frame and side skirts on the page, you can get rid of having to join the ship at the midpoint. The other suggestions is to not notch the frames, just trim up the crossmembers so they butt up against the keel. I think at this scale, the keel is thin enough that no strength is gained by interlocking the pieces. Construction would be simpler without trying to cut out the notches.

I'll try to get the ship built up as soon as possible, but have to hit the water park today before my surgery on Wednesday.

"Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach (or criticize)".
Attached Thumbnails
Confederate Double Ender ironclad in 1/250 scale-s5000011.jpg  
Old 07-19-2010, 12:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
What weight paper are you printing on Knife? I have tried 65 and also single sheet laminated to 65 and am curious as to what others are using for CTs ironclads. Thanks for the info and I am looking forward to this build.

Joe
Google Adsense