PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 10-21-2009, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Alright, do to a helpful friend and a great turn of luck, I have most of what I need to do this thing right. I am starting over on my digital layout in sketchup, but I should have an easier go of things now!

More to come soon!
CT
Old 06-17-2011, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm glad your working on this ship - I've been looking for an American (even a rebel) blue water ironclad to build. I will be following your progress w/ great interest. Can't wait to build one of my one if you have on ecardmodels!
Old 06-18-2011, 01:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
I got a lot of great plans and info on this ship but it's going to take some doing. There is a lot of compound curves to work out.
CT
Old 02-03-2012, 08:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Found a paper model of the Japanese version online....problem is its on my work computer...at work. Ill link to it on monday. The fella is japanese and does mostly aircraft but has the one ship in paper and offers it as a free download.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is an interesting and historic ship. I knew about its existence as a Japanese warship, but had never actually studied it. Based on the model that Jeff posted, it seems as if the turret main battery could only fire to the rear (port and starboard quarters). There seems no way that they could fire broadside without taking out the shrouds.

Seems odd for a ram. Am I missing something?

Don
Google Adsense
Old 02-03-2012, 09:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post
Found a paper model of the Japanese version online....problem is its on my work computer...at work. Ill link to it on monday. The fella is japanese and does mostly aircraft but has the one ship in paper and offers it as a free download.
Hi, Mike:

Is this the link you are referring to?

Japanese Battleship Papercraft - Kotetsu ~ Paperkraft.net - Free Papercraft, Paper Model, & Papertoy

Looks like a nice model, though I haven't really looked long and hard at the template pages yet.

Cheers!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Stonewall sea going ram, a start-battleship-papercraft.jpg  
Old 02-03-2012, 10:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Aha! From the image of that model, it seems as if the bulwarks could be dropped, allowing the guns to fire ahead about 30-40 degrees.

Don
Old 02-03-2012, 10:30 AM

Here's another picture, this of the actual ship, perhaps after transferred to Japan...interesting they apparently don't have a forward gun turret? And how did those bulwarks get dropped, with or without the shrouds?? Seems a bit tenuous as setups go, from what I can tell....

Cheers!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Stonewall sea going ram, a start-h42257.jpg  
Old 02-03-2012, 11:14 AM

The paper model apparently doesn't have gun ports showing on the after turret, which is surprising. It seems to have gun ports on the bow/forecastle area, but I'm not sure if they show the one facing directly forward.

Here are diagrams showing the deck gun set up and plan view, according to one source. I gather they aren't actually moving turrets, having gun ports on the after turret positioned port and starboard sides, pointing fore and another aft, with the forward gun placement (apparently under what I would call a forecastle deck) having gun ports forward, as well as abeam both port and starboard, the guns being on swivels inside the armoured turrets. If anyone has a better understanding of how the gun emplacements worked, please comment.

Cheers!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Stonewall sea going ram, a start-css_stonewall_deckplan.gif   CSS Stonewall sea going ram, a start-css_stonewall_plan.gif  
Old 02-03-2012, 12:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Interesting looking model. It screams to be done full hull, but the compound curves would be dificult. I add my vote to your adding the Alabama to the to-do list....it is a beautiful ship.