PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 12-15-2011, 03:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS/USS General (Sterling) Price

While I await my fate with doctors I have had more time then I am used too. I have several models being test built, and several more that are waiting. Meanwhile, I have this one. The CSS General Sterling Price, later the USS General Price. It was 182 feet long and the hull proper was only 30 feet wide. The after portion seams quite wide with the fantail shaped into the overhanging paddle boxes. The casemate was armored with compresses cotton between two bulkheads. The front of the casemate had 1 inch iron. All this was to protect the engine and boilers. The guns were exposed. It was originally planned on being used as a ram. The model is a waterline in 1/250 scale. Note the wood sheathed hog braces and the extreme forward position of the stacks.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS/USS General (Sterling) Price-800px-cssgeneralprice.jpg   CSS/USS General (Sterling) Price-h65459.jpg   CSS/USS General (Sterling) Price-uss_general_price_1.jpg   CSS/USS General (Sterling) Price-sterling-price-post-2.jpg   CSS/USS General (Sterling) Price-sterling-price-post-3.jpg  

CSS/USS General (Sterling) Price-sterling-price-post-4.jpg   CSS/USS General (Sterling) Price-sterling-price-post-5.jpg   CSS/USS General (Sterling) Price-sterling-price-post-6.jpg  
Old 12-15-2011, 05:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very nice again, sir
Old 12-15-2011, 05:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
A good looking design...I'm looking forward to your release of these models.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
That is an interesting steamboat, Corey. I admire the research work you do to even find those things, and then to design your beautiful models of them is a truly impressive achievement.

Do you know if the CSS General Sterling Price was purpose-built as a warship? And whatever the original intended purpose of the ship, do you know the rationale behind her rather unusual features? (Paddle Wheels so far back, stacks so far forward, great length compared to width.) Where were the engines placed? How effective was compressed cotton at stopping cannon balls? A very interesting vessel, indeed.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm also real interested in this one, and you've got a great start on it, thanks Corey.

Nope, like so much of the River Defense Fleet, this wasn't purpose-built but a conversion: started out as the LAURENT MILLAUDON in 1856, stripped and "fortified" with whatever they had on hand, and in a big hurry too.

--Which means, cotton: and, nope, it wasn't effective at stopping cannon balls. While it afforded some protection from small-arms fire, it was largely there for some psychological assurance. Granted, a couple feet of compressed cotton would slow a ball down some (and it's suggested that engineers coveted those bunkers of coal for the same reason, and would get stingy as the coal reserves sank below the top of the boiler) but not a lot.

This is looking real good so far. Something I'm seeing--back me up or not, guys--is an apparent "kink" in the fair curve of the guard aft of the paddleboxes. While the camera angle is low, it still looks like the deck back there was cut down in the same way the fore guard was; and I think this would be logical, for the same reason they did it up front: no reason for all that deck, less timber to shoot up. What do you think?

I also like that you're "looking behind the paneling" to deal with structural elements like the hog frame and paddlewheel support: it may not show on the model (excepting the bit up front that nobody's treated right before) but just the understanding that something's there informs your engineering of the model when all other documentation fails.

Can I do the Beta build pleeze?

'Duster
Google Adsense
Old 12-15-2011, 07:09 PM

Oh, Duster. I am so sorry. I had forgotten about our previous conversation about the General Price. I really didn't mean to steal this out from under you! And if you want you can sure do the test build.

As to the back deck, I was going back and forth on this too. Here is another photo of the ship from the rear. When I did the Champion, I did take in the back deck overhang, but this looks like a more pronounced deck. But I am not sure.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS/USS General (Sterling) Price-uss_general_price_2.jpg  
Old 12-15-2011, 07:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well, I'm not sorry at all, you're doing a great job and I'm enjoying watching it happen!!

Yah, this deck thing, this is what was worrying my foggy eyes--every shot I've got shows that slightest kink about 1/3 back from the end of the paddlebox. Is it cut back? Stands to reason. Is there enough visual evidence? Umm--

You know the story about the "Face" on Mars? Viking I was doing a photo-mapping of the planet, &sent a couple angles of a spot in the Cydonia region. Some guy looked at a jumble of rocks and went, "Wo, that looks like--" and he ran it through a "cleanup" on his computer. Then another. And and and. Every time he "cleaned up," guess what! it looked more like a FACE. Okay, you guys take the story from there.

Now, let's get back to pondering the shape of GEN. PRICE's stern guard...

'Duster
Old 12-17-2011, 03:58 PM

I will post pics later, but I have decided to trim back that stern deck some.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:02 PM

I read that the cotton was hydrological pressed into sheets or board, giving it quite a bit of density and weight. While the north was experimenting with rubber, the south was experimenting with cotton. Wasn't long before both figured out that they were on the wrong track. Although against small arms, that compressed cotton would have helped...along with that oak!
Old 12-17-2011, 04:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Nice model CT. I admire your work. This thread is also a wealth of knowledge.
Thanks for sharing.
Google Adsense