PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Stonewall sea going ram, a start

In my continuing attempt to rebuild the Confederate fleet, I am taking on another project. I am thinking of doing a model of the CSS Stonewall, the Confederate ram built overseas and sent to the South, but arrived too late to do any good for the new owners. Still, an interesting ship that would go on to play a roll in Japanese history. I have a few good pictures and a few drawings to work from. This will be kind of a test run for me. The ship has more curves and compound curves then anything I have tried so far. So I think I am going to keep the scale at 1/250 and this first try will be a waterline only model. I have a few questions though that maybe you all can help with.

1) Dose anyone know what the tops of the Casements were like? Decked over, grated, armored?

2) Is the deck wood covered?

3)Was it painted and if so, what color?

4) do I attempt to do the masts in paper, or at this scale is it easier and better to use wood?

5) As I said, I have some pictures and limited information, but if anyone has drawings or suggestions, please help!

If this works out, I may do a larger scale in full hull. One thing at a time..or two or three:p
Thanks,
CT
Google Adsense
Old 10-09-2009, 09:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Hey, CT!

I found a few pics which I hope are helpful; you probably have seen these already, though.

Looking forward to seeing this new project take shape, a very interesting vessel.

Cheers!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Stonewall sea going ram, a start-css_stonewall_-1864-_side.jpg   CSS Stonewall sea going ram, a start-css_stonewall_plan.jpg   CSS Stonewall sea going ram, a start-css_stonewall_logo_bg.jpg  
Old 10-09-2009, 09:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
CT -
Here's one to add to the Confederate Fleet - CSS Alabama :o) I have a really small paper model of the Stonewall - 1:300 I believe. Pretty basic rendition. If it will help, let me know'
'06
Old 10-10-2009, 04:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
I hope these photos help. I found them on CSS STONEWALL

I look forward to this one!!! Would you do a seperate look for when it became a Japanese ship after the American Civil War?

As for the masts: I say go for the paper. However, since I have problems rolling paper that small I'll most likely use wood.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Stonewall sea going ram, a start-stonewall-212.jpg   CSS Stonewall sea going ram, a start-stonewall-184.jpeg   CSS Stonewall sea going ram, a start-stonewall-219.jpeg   CSS Stonewall sea going ram, a start-stonewall-182.jpeg  
Old 10-10-2009, 07:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Corey,

all pics I've seen (and once i get my scanner working, I'll forward) show wood decks and a black hull. I would guess that the turret would've been lightly armored against plunging fire, but decks in wood.

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 10-10-2009, 10:34 AM

Oh Yea, this is one that is tops on the want list. I always think of this as the great grand daddy of the Dreadnoughts, I know two different periods, but the look always makes me think of one. I hope this one does make it off the drawing board or should I saw the screen!:DRick
Old 10-13-2009, 10:23 AM

Thank you everyone for the info. I hope to have some basic trial run stuff ready this week for you all to look at.

CT
Old 10-13-2009, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Looking forward to it!!
Old 10-15-2009, 01:35 PM

Hi,
I have an original set of plans for the CSS Stonewall and I seem to recall buying a second set. I also have a very detailed black & white lithograph (print) of the ship drawn from the bows (front) about the time it was built.
Scale is about 1/100 from memory, although they might be bigger and the detail is superb and is 3 or 4 large sheets. If you are interested I can dig out the plans and perhaps I can sell you my spare set, however I'm in Aussie and I don't know where you are.
If you are interested in purchase and can offer me a good price, I'm happy to consider that.
Anyone chasing rare or unusual ships plans of any sort, I have a huge private collection in A4 and A3 page sizes and I'd be happy to send specific plans by e.mail (if I have them), in exchange for a paper model kit created from the plans, if you produce a card kit from them.
[email protected]
Old 10-17-2009, 11:08 PM

Y'all have been great but a few more questions. Been working on this when time allows, but dose any one know what the cannon carrages were like?

If I ever get this thing off the ground, I will make the Japanese model as well with the Gatlings! Should be fun...
Google Adsense