PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 12-01-2009, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Hello,
I corrected the stack color already (beat you too it!).

As for the color of the ship, I am having trouble manipulating the blue any darker with out turning it gray or black. If I had a color picture to download as a Jpeg I could get it into gimp but I am failing to make it with the sliding tools. Any thing handy that can be emailed or posted here?

I almost put new wood work on for decks, because the Raleigh was newly Commissioned when sh sank. But she was authorized in fall of 1862 and not launched until the fall of 1863, then was not fully outfitted and commissioned until April of 1864, so the wood work would have been exposed to the elements for a while, while the armor and fittings would have been relatively new, and freshly painted.

Any other thoughts are welcomed!
CT
Old 12-02-2009, 08:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
CT,

I'm thinking that blue is a bit too glossy. Something more blue-gray would be a readily available pigment (it was a popular color for house trim) during the time frame and would still serve as a camouflaging color at night- a non-gloss color will absorb light rather than reflect it.

Just my two bits' worth....

Wyvern
Old 12-02-2009, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
I agree with Wyvern. Did you try a payne's gray? It is a very dark blue-black color. Look for an on line artstore that sells paints, they have color samples that you could "sample."
Old 12-02-2009, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Always got to bear in mind that the CSN's unofficial motto was "make do". They didn't have any other choice.

Wyvern
Old 12-02-2009, 12:52 PM

Here is a sample of Payne's gray from a paint place, is this what you mean? Although it is a nice color, and I may use it on other ironclads, it still seems more on the gray side then "dark blue". Maybe this is the wrong color though, I don't do colors well being part color blind and all. (red/green color blined big time!) I may look for a dark navy like the modern Navy uniform blue, or blue/black color. Unless this is the color that you all had in mind.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Raleigh in 1/250 waterline-paynesgray1.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-02-2009, 01:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
That is paynes gray. it is very dark, with blue in it. try it and see what you think.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 PM

Well, you can download this one for free here at papermodelers, or you can go to some yahoos site called Alice Paper Models and buy a printed copy for $4.95 plus shipping. I have nothing to do with that site and I wasn't consulted and my permission was never asked for nor granted for this person to sell my model!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Pirates! Scurvy dogs.

I find it interesting that both sides sometimes used the same name for ships and also they resused those names for later ships. I first looked at this model as there was a CSS Raleigh at Hampton Roads. According to a book I have it was later changed to the CSS Roannoke. It was only a little tugboat though!

As for getting the right colour for yours...good luck. The colour on the screen may not be the color you actually have on the model due to screen displays. When you print it, it will come out a different colour again on different printers. Also if you use different sources for ink cartridges you may get different colours. I have just changed to an original cartridge from a replacement one for my printer and the colours are very different. Like was said earlier...computers useful but frustrating!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Kinda just answered my own musings! "It was interesting to note that several times names were used more than once, no reason was given or offered. The USN was more careful, it did not have state navies to deal with, than the CSN in ensuring only one ship at a time had a name.
Campbell, Roger C. (2011-04-05). Brown Water Navies (Kindle Locations 2797-2799). . Kindle Edition. "
Old 06-08-2012, 07:43 AM

True on the name thing, It makes things...interesting for us 150 years later when researching a ship!

As to the color I shoot for close and then I am done with iit. The great thing about digital paper models is if a guy is just not happy with the color he can always tweak it in PS or Gimp!
CT