PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 11-13-2009, 05:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Phoenix

I am annoyed with my CSS Raleigh, so I again got side tracked. I am working on the CSS Phoenix, a ship built in Mobile Alabama but never finished. It was sunk across a channel to low the yank advance and later the superstructure burned. Little is known about it as it was listed as a floating battery and also a ram. Recent dives on the site called into question those descriptions, as it now appears to be a sister ship to the Nashville.

Using similure lengths and beam measurements from the Nashville and taking a few liberties I am designing a "might have been" ship should the South had the time needed. This is the largest ship I have so far designed.

My Phoenix is a four gun ship, with pivot guns so arranged to present a two gun broadside or to present two guns fore/aft. The paddle boxes would have been only lightly armored, maybe only 1 inch boiler plate, or just wood. Even if 4-6 inches of armor had been applied, with those flat vertical surfaces they would have been vulnerable still to the big 15 inch guns of the Monitors. The valuable armorer would be better used in beefing up the front casement, as this ship was designed to fight head on in a ramming attack. It also would have no trouble backing away from a fight keeping the front towards the enemy. the guns would have likely been 6.4 inch Brooks guns. It is reported that the Nashville had 6 inches of armor up front and between 2 and four elsewhere.

Anyhow, time to cook dinner.
CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Phoenix-css-phoenix.postjpg.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-14-2009, 10:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Amazing Concept CT!
Gregor
Old 11-15-2009, 05:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
I'm liking what I see thus far!
I look forward to your progress.
1/250?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:26 AM

Yep, 1/250 scale, but no interior. Out side only for two reasons. One is, with the large and complicated casemate, I am adding simple formers for strength. The second thing is, I have no idea what the inside should look like! I may add an optional light weight "bridge" running between the paddle boxes, 16 feet high and 10 feet wide. The hight would be great for look outs when not in active combat. It would be wood, possably open great stye over a reasonable frame of supports. If it got wrecked in combat it would be replasable and if it where lightly built, it would pose no threat of damaging the rest of the ship if it came down in a fight. A signal mast and awning booms would be an ida also. Again, guess work taken from other Confederate ships as well as Union Ironclad side wheelers.

CT
Old 11-15-2009, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Can't you ask those divers if they made pictures of the interior?
Google Adsense
Old 11-15-2009, 03:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I love it!
Old 11-15-2009, 03:52 PM

I would love to ask the divers!

I assume that the ship had horizonal piston engines and not the walking beam but I can not be sure.
CT
Old 11-20-2009, 02:05 PM

I am going to do this in a couple of color options, any ideas. one option is dark gray (almost black). I am not sure about the other option. Also, I am including other options like the deck fixtures, bridge between the paddle boxed and so on. As a front on fighter, i am also adding a spar torpedo as well. the front also has a two foot bulwark/breakwater with armored out side slopes that match the ships sides. The aft deck will not have this, making it ideal for the boat placement. I will have pictures of the sheets and digital designs up soon. Now its off to camping with my scout!
CT
Old 11-20-2009, 03:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Have a great time with your scout!!! That is a good deal!

As far as the model I think all your options are spot on. I like the dark gray color scheme. Most of this was made with boiler plate for armor. the bridge between the paddle boxes is a great idea. When not actually fighting it is much easier to C2 the ship if you are not looking through a slit in the armor.

Looking forward to this one.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Dang, CT, you are a ship building fool!

I love the way you tackle these subjects and render them so quickly in a workmanlike fashion.

This one looks very interesting. I am looking forward to seeing how this one develops, mate!

Have fun with the Scouts, be safe.

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense