PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 12-06-2009, 07:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Wimington take three!

OK. Finally. I have a workable model. The Wilmington was the first ship design I did some months ago. Many people helped me along with advice and test builds, and I thank you all. The last test build showed some alignment errors and fit short comings. I got all of them worked out and attempted the model myself. I will be send all of those who helped out the new PDF as soon as I put in some last minute build notes.

For a simple looking ship the design has some tough parts. Because of the scale and the low profile the small deck stuff like the pilot house and hatch ways are hard to get the angle, with out it laying too flat. It dose work though. I used graphite from a number two pencil as edge coloring and it worked out. I added all of the normal stuff that a working ship would have when not "Cleared for action". I am Adding option davits/cranes for the hatch ways as this would have been the main loading area for stores. Also, I scratch built the awning ridge poles. All of the rope lines are made of stretched melted plastic, first time I tried that. I do not know if the ship would of had railings, but if it did, thy would have been threaded posts like on Union Monitors so they could have been removed for action. I wonder how long it took to clear all of the stuff that needed cleared? Some how, with all of the stuff added to make the ship livable and workable for the crew, it looks less menacing then when cleared down to turrets and pilot house.

Anyhow, comments and criticism would be welcomed! Again, thanks to those who helped work out the kinks!
CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Wimington take three!-dsc00172.jpg   CSS Wimington take three!-dsc00182.jpg   CSS Wimington take three!-dsc00181.jpg   CSS Wimington take three!-dsc00179.jpg   CSS Wimington take three!-dsc00177.jpg  

CSS Wimington take three!-dsc00178.jpg   CSS Wimington take three!-dsc00176.jpg   CSS Wimington take three!-dsc00175.jpg   CSS Wimington take three!-dsc00174.jpg   CSS Wimington take three!-dsc00173.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-06-2009, 09:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Hey, CT, I think it came out extremely well. I guess this is done in 1/250?
Whatever kinks you might have had in the earlier versions I'd say they were worked out quite well.

Another great addition to your growing fleet of ironclads!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 12-06-2009, 10:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I don't have any criticisms, it looks great!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Looks pretty good to me! I like the details. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Looks fantastic, CT. I'm glad you finally got to build your own model!

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 12-07-2009, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Looking good, but why did you mount masts on top of the cupolas? That seems unlikely to me.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 AM

Not masts really, just flag staffs. Raising flags for signals as well as for battle could be done from with in the casement through the grated tops. Just guess work. A light weight hurrican deck running from casement to casement was a thought as well, but that seems to be mostly a post war thing for period Monitors so I went with the usual deck work as seen on other Confederate ironclads. Working masts for lookouts would be grat but I am not sure here. Just behind each casement would be good but that puts then close together...

CT
Old 12-07-2009, 12:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
CT - Outstanding! This ship had a smaller sillouette than alot of the big casemate riverine 'clads. Was it one gun per turret on a circular pivot?
Gregor
Old 12-11-2009, 02:48 PM

Hello,
Yep, one Brookes rifle in each casemate turret. On the plan I did not find any hatchway connecting the turret to the hull but I imagine there had to be some thing if for no other reason then to pass up ammo. The sillouette was extremely small given the angle and the small size. Real good use of limited materials. Had the Confederates made more of these instead of larger casemate ironclads it would have salved two problems-draft and armor. Engines would have still been problematic though...

This model is now up at Ecardmodels.com

1/250 CSS Wilmington by CT Ertz - ECardmodels.com Shop - Downloadable models and crafts for

If anyone would like to post pictures of thier build I would enjoy that very much!
CT