PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 08-13-2009, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Virginia II Coming soon (I Hope!)

Like the Southern Confederacy, my ship yard is crude and lacking skilled designers, but I have a lot of enthusiasm. My CSS Wilmington is being built now, to see how many bugs need to be worked out. In the mean time, I am starting a design of the CSS Virginia II.

The Virginia II was 180 feet between perpendiculars, between 197 and 201 feet long depending on the source. I was originally to have a larger casement with a couple more guns, but do to the lack of iron armor, the casement was shrink up. The Virginia II also had a kind of reinforced shield on the deck front and aft of the casement.

I am slow at this, and my unfolding program dose not work for some reason, so I have to do all of the unfolding by hand. Avery's Union navy of monitor style war ships is growing far faster then mu Confederate navy, so it is historically accurate I guess!
:D

CT
Google Adsense
Old 08-13-2009, 08:18 PM

Old 08-14-2009, 05:20 AM

Here is some progress. This ship is neat because it seems that the Confederates used a Glacis plate for and aft of the casement. I know this was tried on later turreted ships, but is this the only example of it being used during the Civil War? By adding the armored slop the casement was protected from being undermined by shallow angled shots directed at the casement-deck joint. This was a good use of vital armor, a nice half way between full deck armor and additional front-aft armor. The sides were protected first by the angled joint being below the water level, and second, buy the big thick "knuckle" made by the hull-casement joint.

As on other Casement style ships, the port and starboard guns will be out of alignment by a couple of feet, to give each recoil room, and they are rather forward in the casement as the stack took up room. The font and rear cannon are, as typical, on pivots to face out the side ports, giving this 4 gun ship a possible 3 gun broadside.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:10 PM

Getting there...:D
Old 08-14-2009, 08:55 PM

Hello folk, I just finished the PDF for the CSS Virginia II and it will soon be in the free downloads section. It is my big thank you for all of you! I have done my share of free bees from other designers and I have learned a lot from everyon. This model is about 1:250 scale if I did the mathe right, two pages. All I ask is if you build it, please leave m some feed back. Be critical! It's the only way I will learn! You do not need to do a build thread, though that would be cool, but a simple PM will be fine. Thanks again.
CT

This will look great fighting with one of Avery's monitors!
Google Adsense
Old 08-15-2009, 09:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.91 MB
Thanks for this one. Have it printed out. Hoping to start cutting as soon as the poison ivy on my right arm heals. Hehehe.

A thing about the PDF, though. Where's the smokestack (chimmey)?

The glacis, fore and aft of the casemate is a nice detail to have picked up from the ship plans.

What do you think about the Virginia II having gunport shutters? Like it's shown with in this etching:

from <a href="Confederate Ships--CSS Virginia II">CSS Virginia II at the Naval Historical Center</a>

I know it might just be an erroneous interpretation of the artist, but the shutters being pulled up to open like that is intriguing. Would stand out when sitting next to other confederate ironclads. Plus they'd close real fast.

Thanks again!

Hobby Blog: torakaze.blogspot.com
Old 08-15-2009, 10:19 PM

The stack? One of Avery's monitors shredded it, (see photo)

Actually, I forgot! I have made the parts now and will up load it as soon as I can. I may also add in some shutters also. I Have been building this thing, and it dose make a model! :D Some parts have to be talked into cooperating a bit, but it will work. I hoe that you have fun with it. I will have pictures of my finished model up soon as well.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Virginia II Coming soon (I Hope!)-stack.jpg  
Old 08-15-2009, 10:29 PM

On my additional parts, I will add a couple of different designs of gun port shutters as well, and the stack. I will add some taller boat divots as well, as the ones provided just work. The anchors worked out well!

The angles sides at the water line wok, but I had to clip them on the lines from the top down about 3/4 the way so it would bend right, but it worked good. I have not tried the guns yet...

Th gravity closing shutters are interesting. I would do them that way just as you said, to be different!

CT
Old 08-16-2009, 06:54 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Nice work CT. What kind of software do you use to design your ironclads?
Mike
Old 08-16-2009, 08:43 AM

thanks Mike. I used Google's Sketch up-7 to make the model, and Then I unfolded it manually to make a flat model. Then I made a piece of paper in sketch up that was 250 times bigger then a piece of paper, and arranged all of the parts on to that. Then I saved it as a 2-d export and sent it to Gimp for additional coloring and lettering. Then I opined it up in Gimp, rotated it to the direction I wanted it, then I copied only the "paper" section. Next I opened up a "new" page in Gimp using the 8.5x11 template, and pasted in the copied section as a "new image". This effectively made the scaled rectangle that started out in sketch up 250 times smaller, along with all of the parts. When printed on 8.5x11 paper the model should be 1:250 scale...I think. Then I added the lettering and saved it as a Jpeg. Finally I used Nitro PDF maker to put the model into a PDF.

All of the programs I used are free. Sketch up has a number of plugins that will work to help unfold a model, none of which I can get to work with my computer! I still have much to learn. Thanks,
CT
Google Adsense