PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
It's looking good, Corey. I like the interior, and the guns look good. I see that you can build 'em as well as designing...
One nice thing: When I build this one I won't have to wash my hands as often as usual - Who could tell?
Old 03-13-2010, 03:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Thanks Thomas, I do sometimes build!
I have a couple more shots for y'all. One of the broadside guns are inplace, with recoil aresting roap in place. The rope would have been secured low on the casemate side but this will have to do. I have also got some work done on the casemate. The gun deck looks pretty wide until the casemate is inplase, then you realize just how much usable room is lost with those sloping sides! The casemat needs a bit more attention to get it to sit flush with out poping up a bit but it will get there.:D

CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS North Carlolina recolor by Anna-dsc00326.jpg   CSS North Carlolina recolor by Anna-dsc00327.jpg   CSS North Carlolina recolor by Anna-dsc00328.jpg   CSS North Carlolina recolor by Anna-dsc00329.jpg  
Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 PM

OK, a bit more done-painfully slow! The aft casemate still tends to Pop up slightly, but I will fix it. I may have to weight the ships boats when they go o, the bit of wight will help keep the casemate put. I got one anchor on, and all of the guns in place. the rigging for the guns continues! I also have the deck gratings for the hatch ways to go, and the other bits of deck fittings. I was hoping to be done today but probably not!
Attached Thumbnails
CSS North Carlolina recolor by Anna-dsc00330.jpg   CSS North Carlolina recolor by Anna-dsc00331.jpg   CSS North Carlolina recolor by Anna-dsc00332.jpg   CSS North Carlolina recolor by Anna-dsc00333.jpg   CSS North Carlolina recolor by Anna-dsc00334.jpg  

Old 03-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
This is looking great...or grungy...depends on your perspective I guess.

Corey, As I recall you stated this sad ship was used more as a floating battery. Did they not use a "super structure"/scafle of some sort for look outs, or just walk the upper decks?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:12 PM

That's a good question. It was still actually listed as an ironclad ram, but the engines were 'highly unreliable". I have not seen any drawings, period or modern, showing the ship with a tower or lok out station of any kind.

"Guard ship" for blockade runners is another term used. It could be that because of the lay of the river/harbor a look out station was unneeded for the North Carolina to do it's job of guarding. It is also likely that land based positions could have also been of use for spotting danger.

CT

CT
Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Corey -
You're really bringing this riverine combatant to life!
Gregor
Old 03-18-2010, 05:02 AM

OK, this is up in the shop. Find it here,
1/250 CSS North Carolina by CT Ertz - ECardmodels.com Shop - Downloadable models and crafts for

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS North Carlolina recolor by Anna-ncaft1.jpg   CSS North Carlolina recolor by Anna-pict0265.jpg  
Old 03-18-2010, 05:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Good information, Corey. The only reason I brought it up is, being an Artilleryman, I like to be as high as possible to have as long a view as possible. But, as you stated being near shore and a guard ship it was likely tied in to what was on the shore.

The final model is amazing...great job, Corey!