PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Current Contests, Competitions, and Challenges

Old 04-15-2012, 10:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
NoreastCon 2012 Scale Model Show and Contest

A MUST-SEE EVENT FOR HOBBYISTS, HISTORIANS, ARTISTS, CRAFTSMEN, COLLECTORS, STUDENTS, SOLDIERS AND VETS!

Fans of American history can get a fun, entertaining, miniature glimpse into our past at “NoreastCon 2012”, Long Island’s largest scale model show of the year. Sponsored by the Long Island Scale Model Society, this TWO-DAY regional event kicks off at 9am Saturday, May 5, 2012 and concludes May 6 at approximately 5:00 pm. The show will be housed in a unique venue – Farmingdale, NY’s American Airpower Museum hanger.

You’ll find hundreds of models on exhibit, in some cases right next to their full-size inspirations. There will be ample opportunity to take in the exhibits, movies, seminars and activities surrounding the event or shop the almost 60 tables of kits and hobby supplies offered by our discount vendors. Raffles, re-enactors in uniform and free model-building clinics for children will add to the fun and excitement. Food trucks and more will be on hand. We’ll also be collecting old kits and non-perishable sundries for donation to VA clinics and troops serving overseas. Here are some basic details:

NoreastCon Scale Model Show and Contest Location, Dates and Admission

American Airpower Museum
Saturday, May 5th and Sunday, May 6th, 9am to 5pm
1230 New Highway
Farmingdale, NY 11735

For current and complete news, contact data or ticket and contest information, visit the club web site at http://lisms.org and download our flyers, circulars and registration forms.
Google Adsense
Old 04-15-2012, 12:10 PM

Happy to see on the forums an announcement for this year edition of the Noreastcon!
The one last year was really great and it welcomed paper models! The setting for the contest - American Airpower Museum at Farmingdale, NY, makes it a very interesting. What better location for a modeling show!

I have one question for the organizers of the show, as I can't find a straight answer in the information provided on the event website. Are paper models permitted this year? If so, how it will exactly work: separate category, miscellaneous one, entered together with the plastic equivalents? Just curious, I would be more than happy just to be able to bring my models for the display only.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:58 AM

Paper Model Contest Entries

You pose a question that's presently under discussion. In accordance with a change in IPMS eligibility rules, the Long Island Scale model society is now permitted to consider entries built from ANY media, which certainly includes paper models. Since this change is new, both at the national and local club level, we had not yet broken out a separate awards category or established judging rules for paper models.

The matter is currently under discussion at the officers, and we MAY be able to create something for this show, but I cannot definitively state at this time what award or awards might or would be available, or how they might be distinguished from more conventional entries.

I would still encourage those interested and coming to bring their creations, if only for display purposes, if just so that our membership, the public and any press in residence can gain some exposure to the craft for future event consideration, and get some input from you in the process. We won't charge a contest entry if valid eligibility for an award can't be clearly established.

Sorry I am unable to provide more information at this point. I will post any updates that may become available before the show here.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 PM

Thank you for your response! I'll start packing up my models Yay!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 PM

While I would personally like to see this concept go places, it's going to be a tough to get a buy-in and build consensus to break out paper models in a dedicated category if we don't see entries from multiple builders on the table. Please put the word out to your community that this is a chance for you folk to get noticed.
Google Adsense
Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM

Update

Just by way of update, right now, paper models entered into the contest would have to be assigned to our "miscellaneous" category which covers all media. If there are a sufficient number of modelers -- not models by one modeler -- we could break out a separate category for paper creations.

In any event, there will be display only areas at which you could display for the attending public.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 PM

Thank you for your follow up.
Personally whatever set up you choose will be fine with me, and I strongly believe with other paper modelers. Miscellaneous category is fine. It may be easier for you, the organizers, to manage the table space this way.

I just wanted to stress that no IPMS membership is required to enter the contest. I know many of us are not part of this organization...
I hope to see other paper modelers from the area at Farmingdale!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:00 AM

Our contest is open to anyone who pays the applicable contest entry fee, which for non-IPMS members is $25 including 2-day museum admission (as opposed to $14 for walk-in only admission) and covers all models entered into competition. IPMS members get $5 off the stated contest entry fee, since our parent organization reimburses us 20% of the cost directly An annual IPMS membership can optionally be purchased at the show for $25 (cash only), in which case the discount fee would apply for admission ($45 total).

If we see 5 or more different modelers entered with card stock entries, it's likely that a separate awards category would be split out for you, and the corresponding odds of winning would dramatically increase over a miscellaneous category entry.

Hope that covers it.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:26 AM

Post-show Observation

It was good to see that we had enough paper entries to break out a separate category in this years competition, and the LISMS will most likely write one in for next year. I'd hope that the number increases in the future if this community wants to generate some buzz, interest and momentum going forward, however.

Was good to have you participate. Thanks for coming!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:06 PM

Thanks for having us!
It was really fun. Nothing beats socializing with fellow modelers and ogling really nice models (there were over 500 of them!). The American Airpower Museum is great, and its staff very accommodating to the visitors.

Those from the area who haven't showed up can regret! It was a blast!
Google Adsense