PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Current Contests, Competitions, and Challenges

Old 08-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Designer contest - trying to hash out an idea :)

I have been mulling this over for a while now... I am trying to figure out how to make a designer competition of some kind... Input appreciated!

I am considering that I could do a contest in a couple different ways.

1. One REALLY big diorama that would have LOTS of different models. could have lots of building, vehicles, scenery etc etc. Each designer would do as much or as little as they want. All their work would be used towards judging. We would need to figure out what to do - this could even result in an entire city!

2. smaller dioramas that would contain a set number of components - one vehicle, one building and one scenery item (just a my initial thought) one designer would do the entire diorama. Same judging as above. each designer would be able to pick their own genre etc.

This could be a rather long term contest
Thoughts?
Chris
Old 08-08-2009, 09:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Chris, Maybe you need to expand some on your idea - at the moment it looks more like a diorama contest than a designer competition. Due to the incredible range of design expertise and topics in this community i.e. from 1/1 scale small arms to 1/2000 and smaller ships, star ships etc and eras that cover millenia, I think it would be a challenge in its own right just figuring out how to get them in the one diorama.

Perhaps another approach to a designer competition would be to agree on a theme in which each designer could apply their skills and interests? Possible broad themes may be Classics, HistoryMakers, I saw it in the movies, end of an era...?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Design Admin

hmmmm food for thought
Thanks!
Chris
Old 08-09-2009, 08:42 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
I would like to see how all the designers, and their styles would tackle one particular subject.

To see their interpretations of that subject would make for interesting viewing and judging

It would be a kick to see Gary Pilsworth design an 18 wheeler in the style of the Thunderbirds
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-09-2009, 09:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
i hate to sound pessimistic, but i'm not sure the design competition would attract many of the usual commercial designers. the competition format might be of a subject matter or scale of no interest to some or it may conflict with current projects/schedules. and besides, commercial designers already compete every day.

having said that, i think it would be a fine idea to have a competition for amateur designers (those who design and offer for free, never have asked a price for a designed model). kind of like the olympics used to be...
Google Adsense
Old 08-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Will this include the template plans, the build thread or both?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Design Admin

Nebeltex - thats is why I was thinking of a LARGE diorama.... people can design whatever interests them

I will have to see what designers want to participate in order to figure a contest

silveroxide - build threads are nice but interested more in the plans than the final model as many of the designers dont build all their designs i think for it to be considered for the contest it needs to have a final build though else how do we know its good!
Old 08-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
OK! cmags, Understood, plans and finished product.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Well, as a commercial designer, I like the idea. But I do agree that maybe finding out how many designers would be interested would probably be a good since we are a busy lot. If it does go forward, I like the theme idea proposed by SJPONeill. That sounds like a very good idea. Also, what would the ultimate outcome be? What would be the prize, and what would happen to the finished designs?

[email protected]
Old 08-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I think that the ultimate outcome could be that a lot more paper modelers may take the plunge to become familiar with one or more of the available design tools and thus the designer pool would increase to develop more models...I'd see the competition as a confidence builder for the 'been thinking about designing something for a while now' group....

The prize? Well, if I walked away with a few basic skills in Sketchup or one of the other 3D designer tools, i'd comsider that a good prize...

And on themes, I'd be really keen to see a monitor/predreadnought take on Thunderbirds and other well-known scifi....
Google Adsense