PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Current Contests, Competitions, and Challenges

Old 08-01-2015, 08:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Papercuts 2015 Paper Gaming Terrain and Minis

Just announced! Papercuts 2015, with awards good for credit at OneBookShelf!

Just make and/or design a model, tile, or mini and submit it within one month: 9/1/2015

Deets: Papercuts 2015 is a GO! | Cardboard Warriors forum

How to play: Make stuff out of paper, take a picture, start a thread in the appropriate part of the Papercuts Showcase boards.
Post your picture and a download (if a design entry) of the model or miniature.
Discuss and enjoy.
Entries submitted in previous Papercuts are not acceptable.
Forum Hoard submissions that have not been entered into a previous Papercuts competition are acceptable.

The submission deadline for this year is Tuesday September 1st, 2015.

There will be six categories for submission:

1) Best Single Figure - The design must be original*. Three pictures maximum to show off your work, download required.

2) Best Multi-figure - A group of figures. All figures must be original design*. Three pictures maximum to show off your work, download required.

3) Best Model kit - 3D terrain, vehicle, building- what have you, a multi-piece kit. Original designs only*. Three pictures maximum to show off your work, download required.

4) Best Tileset - Flat, two-dimensional maps with grids or no grids of any size or quantity. Original designs only*. Three pictures maximum to show off your work, download required.

Bear in mind that once they are uploaded here I will be gathering the submissions and creating a downloads gallery at onemonk.com just like I do for the Hoard submissions. So putting up an entry for a limited time download just to be an entry then removing the download post-showcase would not be acceptable.

5) Papercraft in Action - A diorama** scenic category. Models and miniatures can be from any published or original source. Papercraft must feature prominently in this categories entries, but can also feature elements from other mediums; metal or resin minis and models for example. Three pictures maximum to show off your work, no download required.

6) Hot Rod and Kit-bashers - A papercraft diorama** scenic category, but with a personal twist. This category is to highlight how you improved, modified, or mangled someone’s work. There are many examples in this forum of users modifying a designers work. Three pictures maximum to show off your work, no download required.

7) BEST IN SHOW - The one entry that says Papercuts 2015 to you. This category will be assembled from all of the other entries in the other categories.

One entry per participant per category.

*Original design; Re-skinning someone else's model with original textures doesn't work, that belongs in the kit-bashers category. You can pull textures and modify them for use from sites like [CG Textures] - Textures for 3D, graphic design and Photoshop! as long as you give credit; "Some textures in this model were used with permission from www.cgtextures.com/" Peeling somebody else's texture work off of a finished model also wouldn't count as original work.

** The emphasis of the diorama categories should be on how well you built your pieces and presented them.
Be sure to add model sources; Miniatures by Okumarts and Squirmydad, models by Squirmydad and Worldworks Games, ground tiles by Fat Dragon Games. No download required and the diorama does not have to be made up of pieces that you personally designed.

Prizes will be in the form of gift-certificates to One Book Shelf.

The prize amounts are as follows;
Single Figure Design
1st $20.00
2nd $10.00
3rd $5.00

Multi-Figure Design
1st $50.00
2nd $35.00
3rd $20.00

Model Design
1st $30.00
2nd $20.00
3rd $10.00

Tileset Design
1st $30.00
2nd $20.00
3rd $10.00

Papercraft in Action Builders
1st $20.00
2nd $10.00
3rd $5.00

Kit-Bash Builders
1st $20.00
2nd $10.00
3rd $5.00

Best in Show: $30.00

Design submissions will be in the form of photographs of your figures and models as well as a free download of the entry. I recommend services such as Dropbox for the download and for the image hosting. Create a new submission in the appropriate forum category between now and the deadline; 09/01/2015.

Builder submissions will be in the form of photographs of your figures and models. I recommend services such as Dropbox for the download and for the image hosting. Create a new submission in the appropriate forum category between now and the deadline; 09/01/2015.

Judging will be determined 100% by forum member voting.

Photography is a factor due to the fact that if we can't see it well, it will affect the scoring. Modifying the presentation image for lighting and sharpness is acceptable, just don't add embellishments to the presentation picture that are not present in the finished model or miniature. Likewise make sure it is easy to download your model or miniature design submission.

Rules of entry subject to change, but hopefully not. Check back periodically for updates. Have fun with creating your submissions, and Good Luck!

Single Figure Design Submissions
Multi-Figure Design Submissions
Model Design Submissions
Tileset Design Submissions
Papercraft in Action Builders Submissions
Kit-Bashers in Action Builders Submissions

http://cardboard-warriors.proboards....papercuts-2015
Google Adsense
Old 08-02-2015, 04:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
This is probably the longest post ever posted here!!!!!!
I just checked the prizes, I guess the one who runs this competition has a LOT of money!!!!!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Forgive me for not understanding (I am old and worn out)
but is this just an open paper model competition
or is it specifically aimed at the table-top gaming community.

And what about already built stuff?
There are no restrictions on entries, just as long as they were not entered in past papercuts competition?

And one more thing...just to clarify...
a model submission must include a free download share of the model?
What if its not your model to share?

What if the model submitted as an entry, is already shared somewhere else?
Is that acceptable as the "free download" share?
Old 08-02-2015, 06:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Forgive me for not understanding (I am old and worn out)
but is this just an open paper model competition
or is it specifically aimed at the table-top gaming community.

And what about already built stuff?
There are no restrictions on entries, just as long as they were not entered in past papercuts competition?

And one more thing...just to clarify...
a model submission must include a free download share of the model?
What if its not your model to share?

What if the model submitted as an entry, is already shared somewhere else?
Is that acceptable as the "free download" share?
Please check the details at the link I provided - repeating here:

Papercuts 2015 is a GO! | Cardboard Warriors forum

I am not a judge, just a big fan and past competitor. :-)

As I understand it, the first 4 categories are design categories and are all about sharing your design with the community - so yes, you must upload your model to give away to the community to enter those categories.

Categories 5 & 6, which are purely "build & presentation" categories do NOT require any upload.

There is explcitly NO requirement that the model in *any* category be built in the last 12 months - but you may enter only once in each category and only things that haven't been entered previously. If you have a more detailed question on this, please post it to the thread at cardboard-warriors.

The "table top gaming"-only question does have me stumped. To date all entries could fit that description, but I'm not sure it's been explicit. It'd be good to ask if you're going to post something that isn't at least tangentially related. My entry this year is going to be a kitbash of a Spanish country church by Mauther - that wasn't originally designed for game play, but I've adapted to be so.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a paper model that I didn't wish I could use on the tabletop, but that's me. :-)

I'm excited if anyone here is considering entering...

Last edited by OldSchoolDM; 08-02-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
You beat me to posting here, Randy. Thanks.
Google Adsense
Old 08-02-2015, 09:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.42 MB
A TTG entry is not necessary, just a lot of the forums focus is on TTG's.
Don't post a download if you don't have that right.
If you post a design entry make sure it's yours and be ready to release it for free.
I know some publishers take issue with that last free bit; just think of it as marketing. It worked very well for some publishers last year.

I don't have a lot of money, but the Showcase does have some very generous anonymous donors.

Hope to see you in the Showcase.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.42 MB
Weird, the forum says that was my first post. I guess my old comments were too old or something.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:11 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Eric,

you are/were a member from cardmodels/zealot, this is a different forum, so confusion is only natural

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-22-2015, 09:18 PM

For the showcase, in the diorama category, I'm doing
Automobilgarage from Illustreret Familie-Journal

You can find the original scans at Agence eureka: 16 mars 2009
Old 08-23-2015, 07:44 AM

Okay, I haven't done all the extra figures, so these aren't the final shots, but did finish the garage. Did a lot of layering which makes it really pop in real life. Not so much in photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Papercuts 2015 Paper Gaming Terrain and Minis-20150822_232545.jpg  
Google Adsense