PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Current Contests, Competitions, and Challenges

Old 02-17-2018, 09:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.59 MB
Very nice Isaac, liking the Phantom
Old 02-18-2018, 07:21 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Looked like a very interesting show.
Sorry, I’m partial to the last few photos. Your aircraft models are always amazing entries.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texman View Post
I couldn't help but notice the last pictures.

They let you enter kits in the "scratch built" category?
Since I made all the parts, it is scratch built. This model was printed by me, cut by me, formed by me, that it is a scratch built model. A booklet version that is professionally printed is probably not.

Really in paper there is only self design or designed by others. We are builders and it is all the same technique . So nothing is similar to plastic which is where Scratchbuilt category exists.

In any case, they were very open with the interpretation. I like it. In Canada where I resided for a short while, some clubs did not even let me enter the contests, but some did, so it is all variable.

My point is only to spread the word that you can build good looking models out of paper.

Isaac

Last edited by Isaac; 02-18-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:15 AM

Cool And the awards

Here are the awards.
Columbus Ohio IPMS Blizzcon Saturday-dsc_0195.jpg BAC Lighning, Fly model

Columbus Ohio IPMS Blizzcon Saturday-dsc_0198.jpg F-4E Phantom, Kfir C7, Mirage 3c ( Yoav's designs, Yaron repaint of the Kfir )

Columbus Ohio IPMS Blizzcon Saturday-dsc_0200.jpg Sombold 344 and ground equipment Orlik kit

Some because I was the only entrants, but the BAC Lightning competed in large scale jets with other plastic models and I got 2nd place.

Again, to me the awards are like a kid in kindergarten getting stickers. It is meaningless, but I get a kick out of it and get to spread the words by showing paper models.

Isaac
Old 02-18-2018, 08:39 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Since I made all the parts, it is scratch built. This model was printed by me, cut by me, formed by me, that it is a scratch built model. A booklet version that is professionally printed is probably not.

Really in paper there is only self design or designed by others. We are builders and it is all the same technique . So nothing is similar to plastic which is where Scratchbuilt category exists.

In any case, they were very open with the interpretation. I like it. In Canada where I resided for a short while, some clubs did not even let me enter the contests, but some did, so it is all variable.

My point is only to spread the word that you can build good looking models out of paper.

Isaac
Sorry, I have to disagree. Even if they were generous in the interpretation, it is still a kit.
Scratch built is building from nothing. Had you designed it, then printed and built, I would agree with it being scratchbuilt.

But it is still built from a kit.

I do agree that entering shows and competitions is a great way to spread the word! Glad that there are others who are out showing what can be done with card!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2018, 08:49 AM

Ray,

we can agree or disagree with the rules made out for plastic models. The real way is to have our own paper model contests and write our own rules. That is why I have organized our own convention, meeting in May in Dayton Ohio so we can have our own say.

Using the IPMS rules and venues still makes us stepchildren in their eyes. Some love us and some do not, but we are not treated as a plastic modeler. I'm OK with that.

Isaac
Old 02-18-2018, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Its only a "kit" if you flat out admit "its a kit. I just assembled it!"

Ray, I agree with you....and I always want to enter paper models as "kits", "out of box" etc

but the biggest factor is the plastic guys have no understanding of the paper model and its building process.
Paper is an "extra element" and a common element in scratchbuilding to them.

Those plastic guys who have been educated or understand more about paper modeling seem to be able to deal with it.
Whereas the ignorant (I don't use that term maliciously) tend to throw the paper models into the scratchbuilding and similar categories.

But, at a plastic model event, I'd rather be judged in a "scratchbuild" category, than in a "everything else" or "pot pourri" category!

It also comes down to how well you explain your model and its construction.
I think its easy to exaggerate your work and contribution to the model (especially to the ignorant).
A bit like why I don't like "designers" who rip patterns from video games and call themselves "paper model designers".

If you are really forthcoming about the fact that its a commercial kit...pre designed, pre printed, ready to assemble...then the response will be different.
And the categorizing of models will undoubtedly be different.
But if you hide a lot of details about how the model was designed, printed and constructed, then you get unfair praise and your models may be judged incorrectly.

You could argue that a paper modeller is no different than a plastic modeller in the sense that you only assemble...and apply finishing touches.
So, either everything is scratchbuilt, or nothing is! lol
Old 02-18-2018, 01:05 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Back to the original point....Isaac, good on you for getting out there and entering, to further the understanding of what we do.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 02-18-2018, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 967.02 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Jim

It was great seeing you there.

Pictures of the paper models we brought soon. Please free to post your pictures

Isaac
Isaac it was a pleasure meeting you there and discussing the hobby. i will definitely put some of the tips you gave me to practice. unfortunately i will not be able to attend the Dayton get together as it falls on the same weekend of my daughters College graduation and will be out of town.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Some nice models from both of you.

To stir the pot a bit, the class sign does say 'scratchbuild/conversion' so if you did a lot of your own things it would slide in. Especially since it seems like for a lot of plastic modelers (car modelers in particular) if you have to do much more then throw a tube of glue and can of spray paint in and shake the box it tends to go in the category of 'too much work'.
Google Adsense