PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 09-20-2021, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Designing with Dave - Kreating Koolwheelz

I thought it might be fun to show you a few stages of a Koolwheelz design.

I get many requests for info on how to design basic paper models, what softwares do I use, my methods and so on...
I try to answer all questions without giving away too much...don't want to give away all my secrets do I?! lol
Koolwheelz models have their own challenges, even though they are much simpler models,
but a lot of the work is similar across different types of models.

To be honest...it took me more than a decade to learn the software I use and teach myself how to design models my way.
And while its great to have a tutor sometimes, its just as important to forge your own path and learn your own methods.
There is no easy solution, and there are no softwares that will design models for you, so stop looking.

There are, however, one or two programs that allow modelers to call themsleves "designers" by eliminating the need for any design ideas and skills.
You can literally search the web for ready made 3D-models (or pilfer them out of games and other software),
then input them into one of these "design" programs and output an untested and usually overly complicated 2D paper model pattern.

My methods are probably somewhat unique...but I'm sure there are some things that are common for "design-from-scratch" modelers.

Designing a model like this Koolwheelz car, starts in my head.
I literally form a mental image of the model...an image of the car already in folded paper form.
Many designers use digital 3D modeling software at this point...I don't.

I will imagine how angles and folded faces will be positioned...or if the vehicle has a complicated shape,
I will start imagining how it can be stylized and simplified into a simpler, but angular shape.
Especially if the car is curved, rounded, or really complicated in that way!

All my "designing" is mainly 2D vector art done in CorelDraw.

*If you don't know, Corel makes Graphics editing, drawing and creative software that has been around for decades.
Corel made its name in the Arts and SignMaking industry supporting all kinds of vector based artwork.
It comes bundled with a separate Raster/Bitmap editing software (CorelPhotoPaint).

Everyone knows Photoshop which is primarily just a photo Editor (Bitmap/Raster)
but Adobe Illustrator is vector based and was produced to compete with CorelDraw.

Anyway, vector art is line drawing and illustration built on vector point construction.
Vector art is clean crisp lines that rely on vector points and measurements.
Unlike raster/bitmap artwork, vector art can be simply and quickly resized/rescaled without any change of quality or resolution.
Even colour fills and gradients can be added to artwork using vector methods.
Bitmap/raster fills and textures are also integrated with the vector artwork to create hyper realistic artwork and edited images.

Corel isnt cheap, and its getting more expensive every year.
Its too bad, but its being priced right out the hands of non-professionals...
and there are now a number of free vector based graphic editors available online.
You can download a 15 day trial of the latest Corel software if you want to see what its like...
unfortunately I'm not sure if you can learn enough in 15 days to make a proper decision to buy or not.

next up...step 1
Google Adsense
Old 09-20-2021, 11:10 AM

Step 1....I've got that particular vehicle in mind, its time to get the necessary reference material.

For this article, I will use a recent Koolwheelz model, the DeLorean sports car, but I might use other Koolwheelz models to explain things.

I want two things:
a. photos from various angles of the same type of vehicle. To illustrate the proper shape, and dimensions of the vehicle. Not necessarily the subject vehicle.
b. images, photos, original plans of the actual vehicle to help understand specific details that are unique to the subject vehicle.

At this point, I also educate myself on the vehicle. Do a little bit of reading about the history, production, etc
Wikipedia is usually great for this...but I will expand my research.
The more I know about the subject, the better my model can be...and the more interesting and fun it is for me!
I also like to find things like actual Dimension specs so I can check my scale accuracy.
I look for tire and wheel sizes, as well as model year/design changes, so I know I am working on the correct version of the vehicle.

It helps to acquire images that aren't angled, or distort dimensions from angled view.
I love it when I can find a perfect side view, overhead view, front and rear views...
but angled views also help put certain things into context.

And my next step is to create my own "multi-view" drawings.

I want to create my own drawings of the final model...a set of at least 4 drawings, all to scale, depicting the top, sides and front/rear views of the model vehicle.
This is also where I introduce all the angular changes to the shape(s) of the vehicle turning it into a paper model.

And, since its a Koolwheelz model, I also have to think about the Koolwheelz design rules:
- simplified/stylized design
- very small scale (usually somewhere around 1/50-1/60)
- a model with as few parts as possible.
- all the parts will have to fit onto a single Letter sheet with room to spare

Last edited by 3Turner; 09-20-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.42 GB
Great idea
Old 09-20-2021, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear AirDave:
will follow along allways want to learn new things
Miles
Old 09-20-2021, 06:03 PM

Its important to create all mutli-angle views at the same time...maintaining the scale.
I use the side view to extrapolate the angular points outwards to the front and rear views.
Top view can be extrapolated in the same way as you see in the image.

This is also where I will check overall width/height/length dimensions to see if they are to proper scale.
I refer to actual manufacturers dimensions, but those are often dictated by extra parts that stick out from the main body,
different size wheels and tires, and other factors.
Since my model will also have angular features and stylized areas, I only take the real dimensions as a "rough" reference.

Another factor to consider is a peculiar visual effect of small scale car models.
I often widen the car beyond its scale dimension (related to the length).
Models can appear too narrow at this small scale (if everything is to proper scale, width vs length).
Many car models look visually better if they are stretched wider, so I will often add 2-3mm width to compensate.

Creating the multi angle views is important for determining proper angular dimensions...
from one angle a part looks one way, but from another angle the actual measurement of that part can be determined.

For example, the side view shows me how tall the roof is from the ground (or from the shoulder of the car)...
but the front and rear views illustrate the actual length of the side part (up to the roof) because of the angle as the roof narrows.

So when I start laying the actual parts from my drawings, I can stretch out parts to the proper dimensions, so that when assembled, they look correct.
*The side part in the drawing below is the actual foldable paper part with its adjusted height dimensions.

Once a part is established, it can then be used to extrapolate the perimeter dimensions, and the dimensions of all the parts that will connect to it.

I can create the center roof/body part (made up of several folding sections) from the multi-angle view...
but the actual length of each section will be derived from the adjusted side paper part.
I take a physical length measurement of each body edge and then transfer it to the related section of the center part.

I will go back and forth between connecting parts making sure that these measurements match.

Google Adsense
Old 09-20-2021, 07:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Interesting!

Thanks Dave.

Mike
Old 09-20-2021, 08:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good to see behind the scenes. Thanks for providing all this information.

Don
Old 09-21-2021, 03:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
A look behind the curtain- this is like a DVD extra. Just goes to show the amount of work required to produce one of these models ( and then some **** goes and pirates it!!)
Old 09-21-2021, 06:45 AM

I don't usually move on to any artwork (textures, colours, details, effects, etc) until I know the design works.
That means test building what I have created so far.

Yes, sometimes I get carried away and complete a lot more of the finished look, but usually only if I am really confident about the fit and assembly.
Either way, there is most likely going to be a "test build"...then adjustments...then another build.

So the next step is a "white build" or blank build.
The lack of colour also saves on Ink printing, and allows you to judge part fit visually.

As I said, the test build often leads to adjustments before getting to that final build.
Sometimes more than one test build is in order.

And thats not including other design changes that result in more builds.

I build everything I design...even if its a commission for someone else.
If I can't build it, then it won't get into anyone elses hands.
And I sure wouldn't put a retail kit out there without self building it first!

I've been known to test build multiple times before getting to that final model.
Its all part of the process.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I swear by Corel, been using it for nearly 30 years now... there was once a time that I tried Illustrator but I found the Corel interface more intuitive and less obstructive.