PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 07-24-2013, 10:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well there's a long story regarding "Blue Streak". She started out as "Florene Ju Ju" (port nose) and was then transferred to the 376th. where she was renamed "Teggie Ann" The area on the nose that had the old name and #10 was oversprayed with fresh OD. The name "Teggie Ann" was used on 4 different B-24's One "pink" like your model and the rest OD. The name was painted just above the demarcation line/ lower on the nose, fore and aft of the nose wheel following the slight curve of the demarcation line. When it was renamed "The Blue Streak", was painted over the darker area where "Florene Ju Ju" was oversprayed. "Teggie Ann" was over painted with a better matching color and this area is hardly noticeable. "Teggie Ann" was then added under the pilot's window in smaller letters. As for War bond tour era, she looked very ragged. there were areas replaced with bare metal and all 4 cowlings and nacelles were bare metal as well, all 4 propellers were polished aluminum. There was a lot of paint chipped off of the wings and tail. The bomb bay doors were heavily dimpled from dirt lumps and rocks and missing a lot of paint.

So I would settle for a just renamed "The Blue Streak" with the small "Teggie Ann" under the pilot's window. I believe the map and score tally were added for the bond tour, as with "The Squaw". Additionally there were over painted panels on the aft fuselage with more facts and figures. As to what these colors would be is pure speculation. Maybe two nose sections could be done with either name, everything else looked the same, even the white number 71 on the nose. If you like I could do up the graphics in Illustrator?

The B-24 was the crate the B-17 came in. Hahaha

Regards,
Jeff
Old 07-25-2013, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.86 MB
Hi all,

Airdave, there's a special edition Air-Combat article from 1983-84 that has an article
about the LBG. I didn't know if that was in your reference collection. I re-read the
article and found out that the ill fated crash of the LGB was on her first mission. The
article also mentions that she might have encountered enemy fire because of 20mm
flak hole. Did you come across any new information?

Jeff
Old 07-25-2013, 10:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
First mission? not sure I ever read that...but not sure I didn't either.
It would be a sad fact, but doesn't make the loss any more terrible.
I think the worst part is knowing that the majority of the crew survived the crash (parachuting out)
and died waiting for a rescue that never came.

I know the aircraft turned around for some reason...I thought it was just mission scrubbed
...a bad weather, bad visibility issue...which is the reason they lost their bearings and overshot the base.
But then again, I am no expert on the LBG, having only read what I need to
as pertains to whatever part I am working on.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
Just adjust your "gamma red" settings for your textures and then layer over...lol! Sweet D versions...
Old 07-25-2013, 03:50 PM

LBG...more info...

no mention of flak damage , but since the plane did fly over enemy territory, its possible that
she may have received some, but it wasn't of any real importance.

Quote:
The flight was indeed the first 'combat" mission for LBG. The target was to be the Harbour installations at Naples.
The mission was scheduled for late afternoon on April 4th 1943.
The mission didn’t start well as not long after the 13 Liberators grouped together in a defensive box,
they flew straight into a huge sand storm!
9 of the 13 aircraft suffered mechanical failure due to sand entering the air filters on the engines,
with engines gasping for air and running rough 9 of the B24’s made emergency landings back at their base.
“Lady Be Good” and 4 other Liberators carried on towards Naples and their target.
So some of the aircraft including the Master and Deputy Navigation aircraft returned to base,
but four aircraft including LBG continued on to target without the navigation assistance.
Only two aircraft bombed (a secondary target), while LBG and the other B-24 dumped their bombs in the sea, before returning to base.

Sand storm and bad weather were indeed a factor, but the question of inexperience has also been raised.
Returning to base proved to be a disaster for LBG.

Quote:
Later that evening the unmistakable sound of a 4 engine bomber was heard above Soluch Field, flares were lit and a homing signal was sent by radio.
However the Lady Be Good did not alter its course it carried on southwards headed deep into the desert!
The other 3 B24’s made it home to base, Lady Be Good was declared missing in action and the crew declared missing.
Now, heres the real awful facts...

The wreckage was discovered, almost intact, 15 years later in the desert,
about 400 miles southwest of Soluch Field Libya.
There were no bodies with the aircraft.
Quote:
The machine guns on the aircraft still worked, a battery was connected to the radio and it worked!
Water and food was found on the aircraft and the water was still drinkable as was some coffee found in a thermos flask!
It was clear that all of the 9 aircrew bailed out of the Liberator before it crashed into the desert.
8 of the 9 crew survived the bailout, with one body found tangled in a fouled parachute.
The survivors did not return to the aircraft wreckage.

Quote:
The co-pilot “Robert Toner” had kept a diary from when the crew bailed out
it stated that the crew were hopelessly lost and thought they were over the sea!
The aircraft was running out of fuel and the captain gave the order to bail out.
The remaining 8 crew walked, with only one canteen of water, north.
5 men were found about 100 miles north of the LBG wreckage, having succumbed to the heat and thirst
and the bodies of the co-pilot and two others were found another 27 miles north.

I am guessing, that the crashed plane might have provided shelter from the elements
...the water and coffeee might have sustained them for some time
...and the working radio might have summoned help.

if only the crew had returned to the wreckage.
Google Adsense
Old 07-26-2013, 01:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.86 MB
Considering all the bad luck, the fact the crew was inexperienced,
even if they did make it back to the plane, I'm not so sure that they could
have survived because they didn't have any water with them in the plane,
just a thermos half full of coffee.

Also their airbase didn't search in the opposite compass direction of 330 degrees
heading they sent to LBG. Bigger question is how come the crew didn't see the
flares if someone at the base heard them flying over. Just more mysteries to the legend.

Anyways, we'll remember them through the models. Great job! on all of the versions
Dave. I wouldn't worry too much about the desert pinks, the army/and USAAC called
their summer uniforms "summer dress pinks" too.

I always thought they looked more like tan/taupe/khaki colored to me.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
The summer uniforms were TW's (Tropical Worsted) Pinks were the grey pants and shirts.

My father was a USAAC pilot, and we have his Green and TW blouse.

Beard
Old 07-26-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Water and food was found on the aircraft and the water was still drinkable as was some coffee found in a thermos flask!
The source said they did in fact have some water and rations...as well as that half full flask of coffee.
But I think the bigger factor would have been the working radio to send out a distress call (to anyone).

We'll never really know beyond what the Co-Pilot recorded in his journal.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB17 View Post
Well there's a long story regarding "Blue Streak". She started out as "Florene Ju Ju" (port nose) and was then transferred to the 376th. where she was renamed "Teggie Ann" The area on the nose that had the old name and #10 was oversprayed with fresh OD. The name "Teggie Ann" was used on 4 different B-24's One "pink" like your model and the rest OD. The name was painted just above the demarcation line/ lower on the nose, fore and aft of the nose wheel following the slight curve of the demarcation line. When it was renamed "The Blue Streak", was painted over the darker area where "Florene Ju Ju" was oversprayed. "Teggie Ann" was over painted with a better matching color and this area is hardly noticeable. "Teggie Ann" was then added under the pilot's window in smaller letters. As for War bond tour era, she looked very ragged. there were areas replaced with bare metal and all 4 cowlings and nacelles were bare metal as well, all 4 propellers were polished aluminum. There was a lot of paint chipped off of the wings and tail. The bomb bay doors were heavily dimpled from dirt lumps and rocks and missing a lot of paint.
wrong wrong wrong and wrong
lol

kidding...sort of...

just wrapping up the Blue Streak kit and as usual, researching the look of a plane
finds lots more info than necessary.
And with the Blue Streak...some very interesting "facts".

As we all know by know, "facts" are never what they seem.
And the truth usually isn't what all the facts lead us to believe.

but these are some of the "facts" as I have found...

In the case of Blue Streak...yes, that was the name, Blue Streak...
the "The" was added when it was redecorated and prepared for combat retirement
...the commonly accepted look of the Blue Streak is what we see in photos of the plane after it had reached stateside.
I'm not sure if it actually toured in support of the War Bonds,
but it is known to have toured in support of a number of factories and manufacturing plants.

But the biggest rumour is that the plane named "The Blue Streak" was in fact an imposter.
Since the real "Blue Streak" was in such disrepair after 110 missions, another B24D was quickly redressed as 41-11613 and made the trip home.
Might explain why she went home with bare aluminum and red painted engine cowlings.

There are some photos that show what looks like a repainted patch underneath the Blue Streak noseart.
This in fact would be clear varnish applied over the nameplate...a common practice by the noseart painters.
Which leaves what sometimes looks like a darker, fresh paint patch as if overpainting an existing artwork.

Anyway, the original aircraft was an Olive Drab plane.
She was in fact an early RAF D model, acquired by the US to be part of the HALPRO unit.
The so-called "blue bellies" were delivered painted Olive Drab and sky blue undersides.
The only US Libs to remain in these colours.

As I said...just wrapping up the Blue Streak kit.
I am adding a "fact" page to the kit, with all this info and more.
I decided to go with a well worn Olive Drab finish and leave off all the extra
Tour artwork. However I am keeping the Liberandos crest and including
the "The" on the Blue Streak name.
I've even added some wear and tear (paint chipping) at a few obvious locations!
Should be getting this ready for release tomorrow.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great news! Another B-24 in the Hangar. Is the artwork the final look of "The Blue Streak"? Just curious about the RAF fin flashes. Here is a pic, just as you described her. From Texas State Historical site. This is State side and looking pretty shabby with a lot of paint chipping and aluminum panels and the red cowl rings and still has the RAF fin flashes both inside and out on the fins. I am not sure why some B-24's kept them and some over painted them. I believe they were part of the "Operation Torch" markings, so maybe it was bragging rights?
Looking forward to this one too, Dave. One Pink and one Green. Maybe a Polka Dot or two? LOL
Attached Thumbnails
B-24 Liberator - pink or what?-bluestreak.jpg   B-24 Liberator - pink or what?-3_86.jpg   B-24 Liberator - pink or what?-3_86_a1.jpg  
Google Adsense