PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

View Poll Results: Do you have an Aircraft scale preference?
I will buy an existing 1:33 scale Model and "Print Reduce" it to 1:48, no problem. 40 75.47%
I would love to see 1:48 scale models (produced from existing 1:33 kits) 6 11.32%
I would only purchase a 1:48 scale model if it was designed that way in the first place. 7 13.21%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2013, 10:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I'm happy resizing to suit my personal preference
Old 12-03-2013, 10:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
wow...I think I really messed up this thread.

all your replies and comments so far are very informative.
thank you for taking the time.
...and lets allow this discussion to go wherever it wants to go.

BUT... I misworded the title and original topic and I think I mislead you all a little bit.

To be honest I was first looking for an answer to one question:
"Should airdave offer 1/48 versions of some, or all, of his 1/33 aircraft kits?"
(Should I convert some of my models and offer alternate scale versions for those who don't purchase my models because of the 1/33 scale?)

The original motivation was a comment by another member that he liked my newest release (a Paraguay Air Force Texan model),
but he would not be purchasing the model because he prefers to purchase and build only 1/48 scale kits.

So, going a little bit off topic is completely my fault...my main question wasn't clear.

I think its obvious that the preference for scale size is all over the place.
There is no way one designer or one model can please everyone.

I think most agree with me that scaling down a model during printing is not only easy but does not affect the print quality to any great degree.
(Enlargement is a whole other issue).
But there are still a lot of people who don't seem to know how to change printer options and settings.
And not every Home Printer has all the same options.

If, when looking at a particular model, there were more than one scale option available, would it be an option that was of interest?
If you could save the work of dealing with reductions and percentages...
If you could avoid unnecessary paper wastage...
would it entice you to buy a kit from me because it was available in two scale sizes?

Many of you have already said that reducing a file when printing is of no big concern,
so obviously you would not care if I offered the smaller scale versions.
I'll take that as part of the answer to my original question.
So...the rest of you?

Nobi...I say stick with what you are happy with.
Like I said, we can't please everyone.
I don't think my kits are overly complicated...thats why I think they could be scaled down to 1/48.
I think its important to reduce the number of parts and reduce the details
as the model gets smaller.
The majority will expect it that way.
So, if you are enjoying the 1/48 or smaller models, then stick with them.

If you want to try some bigger models, then I have some parts for you!

Nobi, do you think the D model Mustang (that you designed for me) is too complicated for 1/48 scale?
Old 12-04-2013, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Smile

Dave

I have a Epson L200 printer, all my models are printed in photographic model. For me is very good have you models in 1/48 or 1/72 scale. The problem in reduction is is of course the difficulty of dealing with parts that turn into tiny items , for which the design of the model was designed to have a level of detail for a specific scale. Ken West models for example, do not see how being able to play all the details in 1/100 for example. The modeler must decide this case in deciding what will play in the model , or the challenge of trying to reproduce all the details . I'll give you an example of your model that is in my stack assembly and is perfect for a reduction to 1/ 100, the first Spitfires based in Marek kit on scale 1 /50, and this is basically due to the fact that the model does not have intricate details . Still talking about printing , in my case I have a good printer and know well the settings of it , being bulk ink , always use original ink . Very small details in texture as stencils are lost , do not look sharp , but it at least for me and the philosophy of my collection is hardly a problem , since the logic of mass reproduction is not to have a few models with a large number details .
Old 12-05-2013, 09:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
i dont stick to one scale but the choice of scale to me is relevant to the size of model.
for example if im building a carrier,liner or battleship i would build in 1;200 whereas if i was building for example a missile boat or frigate i would prefer 1;50 or 1;100.
likewise with aircraft.large aircraft and airliners i like at 1;100 scale.
fighters at 1;32 or even better 1;24 scale.
but thats just me
Old 12-05-2013, 09:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
wow...I think I really messed up this thread.

all your replies and comments so far are very informative.
thank you for taking the time.
...and lets allow this discussion to go wherever it wants to go.

BUT... I misworded the title and original topic and I think I mislead you all a little bit.

To be honest I was first looking for an answer to one question:
"Should airdave offer 1/48 versions of some, or all, of his 1/33 aircraft kits?"
(Should I convert some of my models and offer alternate scale versions for those who don't purchase my models because of the 1/33 scale?)

The original motivation was a comment by another member that he liked my newest release (a Paraguay Air Force Texan model),
but he would not be purchasing the model because he prefers to purchase and build only 1/48 scale kits.

So, going a little bit off topic is completely my fault...my main question wasn't clear.

I think its obvious that the preference for scale size is all over the place.
There is no way one designer or one model can please everyone.

I think most agree with me that scaling down a model during printing is not only easy but does not affect the print quality to any great degree.
(Enlargement is a whole other issue).
But there are still a lot of people who don't seem to know how to change printer options and settings.
And not every Home Printer has all the same options.

If, when looking at a particular model, there were more than one scale option available, would it be an option that was of interest?
If you could save the work of dealing with reductions and percentages...
If you could avoid unnecessary paper wastage...
would it entice you to buy a kit from me because it was available in two scale sizes?

Many of you have already said that reducing a file when printing is of no big concern,
so obviously you would not care if I offered the smaller scale versions.
I'll take that as part of the answer to my original question.
So...the rest of you?

Nobi...I say stick with what you are happy with.
Like I said, we can't please everyone.
I don't think my kits are overly complicated...thats why I think they could be scaled down to 1/48.
I think its important to reduce the number of parts and reduce the details
as the model gets smaller.
The majority will expect it that way.
So, if you are enjoying the 1/48 or smaller models, then stick with them.

If you want to try some bigger models, then I have some parts for you!

Nobi, do you think the D model Mustang (that you designed for me) is too complicated for 1/48 scale?
my answer to your poll which wasnt given as an option is.
i would build at 1;48 scale only if the particular aircraft wasnt availible in 1;32
Google Adsense
Old 12-05-2013, 09:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Dave - I voted for 1/48 models resized from 1/33 because 1/48-1/50 is my favorite scale, I think models purposely designed/modified for that scale are likely to go together well, and it would be convenient to just download and print out the model.

But having said that, I certainly can rescale a model from a different scale, so do not have a really strong commitment to that vote.

You make an enormous contribution to the craft and to the preservation of military history and the memory of those who flew or drove the machines you recreate in paper. I'm always glad to see where your muses take you.

Don

PS: If the Maryland Air National Guard Texan should ever appear in 1/48, I promise actually to build it immediately.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
I like building models, regardless of scale. If a model is well designed and looks good, scale has zero relevance for me.

Niki
Old 12-05-2013, 10:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
I like 1/33 scale, it's easy to enlarge or reduce from 1/33, I myself like 1/24 but 1/33 also works well for reducing. I think the best way to scale (up or down) is Foxit reader, it's free and works great, it's what I use all the time, find it at Download Foxit Reader Free ......Rich
Old 12-05-2013, 10:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Don...I made reference to the MdANG Texan in another thread...a few days (weeks?) back.
Basically asking for whatever it was that I needed to get started?
I thought you were going to pass along some info for me?
But I know you have been busy with the Army Heritage stuff so I wasn't pushing the issue.

...as far as this thread goes, the information and responses have been very informative.
Thank you.
Like I said, I started with an unclear question.
But in a round about way it sorta got answered.

My main (unclear) question was "should I do this? Should I resize and package some of my models in 1/48 scale?
Where there people who wanted me to do this before they
would purchase a particular model?

Nobody directly answered that question, but I think the answer is clear.
Most of you, who are interested in any of my kits, are quite satisfied with resizing the kit yourselves.
Anyone else wouldn't buy my kits anyway, so having alternate scale options to purchase really doesn't matter.

I think what I can do, is just announce that if you purchased a kit, and wanted a downscaled version,
I can and will help you out with the reduction and layout adjustments (if you can't do it yourself).
Old 12-06-2013, 06:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Dave - Your solution sounds exactly right. Carry on with your kits in the scale you have chosen, let us resize, and if necessary, we 1/48ers can ask for a little help if inept at resizing.

With regard to the Maryland Air National Guard T-6 with the "Fighting Baltimore Oriole" emblem (like the one I used to sit in as a 13 year old at Harbor Field, Baltimore), you are mission complete on that one: 1/33 North American AT-6 T6 Texan MD ANG Paper Model I purchased it the minute it appeared, and it is high on my list of models that I really want to build. No action required on your part for now. I will get back to you when I downscale it to 1/48.

The project that awaits more research from me is the Maryland Air National Guard P-51K. I have a photo that I took sometime around 1956, but have not yet talked with the historian of the 175th Wing to verify the colors. Hope to do so before too long and will provide you with the gen.

I may have a little more time, now that this project is completed: The Ashgate Research Companion to the Korean War by James I. Matray and Donald W. Boose, Jr.

Cheers,

Don
Google Adsense