PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 02-17-2015, 10:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
The P-47 update looks really good. Another model on the to-build list.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 326.45 MB
A great looking model, really like the way the instructions are done,
NH78
Old 02-18-2015, 08:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Beautiful cockpit. I recall reading that when they first saw the P-47 British pilots, used to the rather more confining offices of the Spitfire and Hurricane,said that to take evasive action, a P-47 pilot would just have to undo his straps and dodge around the cockpit.

Don
I love that Don, thanks for the "tid bit".

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 02-18-2015, 09:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Heres another shot of the Cockpit tub before attachment to the support brackets/former.

Note the fold down sides on the cockpit...these can be glued to the underside of the
fuselage opening once the cockpit is in place.

I also recommend leaving the Instrument panel off, until the cockpit is installed.
You can assemble and install the supporting parts for the Instrument panel, but
leaving the panel until later will allow you to position it high enough, to fit tightly up
against the upper cowling.

The Instrument panel is photographically detailed, and can be glued to card and installed.
But I have also provided a second panel that can be cut to create recessed gauges
Its a small touch, but it adds a lot of interesting depth to the cockpit.

Disclaimer: Most aircraft instrument panels like this are almost flush. Gauges are mounted fairly
smooth with the panel surface, so this recessed gauge effect is an extremely exaggerated look.

Unit to the right is the Gun Sight, which will mount on top of the instrument cowling after the fuselage is completed.

On my first "white build" run through, I assembled the fuselage from front to rear.
After fitting the cockpit in place I made my last connection at the seam just behind the cockpit.
Shown here:

That last connection is always the toughest one, because you don't always have access to the insides of the fuselage.
Its nice to reach inside and work the connection with your fingers and massage the parts into the best possible fit.
But not in this case, because the only available access to the fuselage interior, is through the cockpit opening.
And once the cockpit is in place, you lose that opening.

So, on my second build attempt, with a full colour version, I decide to try building the fuselage from the tail end.
And I made that center connection without a cockpit in place, which allowed me to reach inside and get a better fit.
I then installed the cockpit from the front, sliding it all the way backwards until the support bracket contacts the center bulkhead/former.

I continued with forward fuselage connections and made my last one at the front of the fuselage.

It really didn't make things any easier however, because I still had that one "last" blind connection to make.
I just moved tlast difficult connection to another spot.
The cockpit went in just as easy, and everything else worked just the same.
So, its completely up to you how you assemble the fuselage.
You can always try a run through to get a feel for the method, before committing to a final build.
Just do a low quality print of the fuselage parts on cheap cardstock.
Don't worry, it can be dismantled again to retrieve the formers, cockpit, etc. and they can be re-used.

Heres on last shot showing the cockpit assembly installed, from the front of the fuselage.
It has been pushed into the center section from the front and pushed backward until it contacts the center bulkhead/former.
Obviously I have not pushed the cockpit up into place and I have not glued the side tabs into place yet.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:25 AM

A couple more beauty shots of the cockpit area...
might be helpful, might not?

You can see how the Gun Sight fits on top of the cowling.

An interesting feature of the P-47 is the hardened steel armour plate that is positioned behind the Pilots seat
providing the pilot with some rearward protection against gun fire.
On the bubble top Thunderbolt, part of the Canopy sliding mechanism is positioned behind the seat.

For this I have created artwork on the parts of the model.
But if you are installing a clear canopy and want a little more detail, I have create some 3D parts that you can install.
Just some simple layering of small parts to create a bit of a raised effect to the Canopy track.

Once assembled, it can be glued in place on top of the fuselage, and it also covers part of that fuselage connection seam.

Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2015, 10:25 AM

To complete the "fuselage", you need the front/engine cowling which also includes the engine artwork.
Three ringed sections make up the cowling plus a tabbed joiner strip that is installed on the inside of the middle ring.

The rings are shaped (using the formers as reference) and glued using small joiner tabs.

Then bend the tabs on the center part and attach the other two parts making sure to line up the top and bottom center lines.

Once the three sections are tightly glued together, you can install the engine former.
Glue the engine artwork to heavier card (like the other bulkhead formers).

But first, I like to burnish the cowling parts to get a smoother finish and make the whole thing a lot more rounded.
Once again, place the part face down on a flat surface and burnish from the inside, across the seams, with a rounded end tool.
(The marker in the following picture is just a support...not my burnishing tool!)

There is a second former that must be installed, this one to the rear of the engine cowling.
This former not only shapes the cowling, but is the mounting plate to the main fuselage.

You may also notice I created a hole in the center of the engine to receive the intended propellor support.
You'll need to plan out the propellor assembly to create the proper size hole in the engine.
I will be using a sanded wooden toothpick, about 1.7mm diameter, so I drill a slightly smaller hole that I will ream out later.

The centers of all the related engine and propellor parts are clearly marked for this purpose.

The engine plate fits a prescribed depth from the front edge of the cowling (as stated in the instructions).
The rear former fits at the base of the engine cooling flaps.

Note: the cooling flaps are marked out and can be cut to bend outward.

And the last thing to do (to complete the Fuselage) is glue the complete engine cowling to the front of the fuselage.
Just butt it up, center it (top and bottom, side to side) and glue in place.

Once it is secure you can assemble and attach the propellor parts.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
The fuselage (with cockpit) looks fantastic. Thank you for the detailed instructions too.

Great work Dave.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 02-18-2015, 12:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.71 MB
Superb build, great model being born!
Old 02-18-2015, 12:30 PM

Just in case you didn't know...

this first "new" P-47 is based on 44-32691, on display at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

I got an up close and personal look at this plane, so I thought it would be a great idea.
The aircraft, from what I have read, was repainted by Republic Aviation for the Museum
to honour the 50th anniversary of the Thunderbolt.

Paint scheme features oversized markings, cowling graphics, and d-day style striping.

My model (shown) has a few errors that will be corrected in the final version.
Even though I am test building a final time, I am still tweaking the model that wil go into the shops.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
These are exceptionally valuable images for anyone who want to build the model. Many thanks for this abundance of narrative and graphics, Dave.

Don
Google Adsense