PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 07-16-2016, 05:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
when it gets sunny here and i can model in the afternoons i might go back and make a pile of these to replace the solid ones on my hercs-mayby
Old 07-17-2016, 11:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
This tutorial is not specifically related to my Hercules models.
It was meant to illustrate my method of hooped design and tabbed joiner strip assembly.
My new C-130 paper wheel mod is a good example of this.

If you purchased the C-130 RAF Air Support Command kit,
it has these new paper wheels included.
The kit gives three different options for constructing the wheels.

BUT...the tabbed joiner strips are not in the RAF kit.

These were an afterthought...
when I decided to put out the new wheels as a C-130 "add-on" (for older Herc kits)
and, when I decided to do this Wheels assembly Tutorial.

If you download the "C-130 paper Wheels Add-On", you will also get the tabbed joiner strips.

I don't plan on putting the joiner strips into the recently released RAF kit.
Many experienced builders, European builders, skinny fingered builders, etc don't use any joiner strips.
They edge glue parts together.
These Wheels are small enough to be "edge" glued.
The joiner strips actually add extra card layers and can get in the way of building small parts.

But, if you are like me, you struggle with edge gluing.
And the tabbed joiners are a definite help to less experienced builders (I think).

You can download the Paper Wheels add-on from the EXTRAS section at Paper Model Shop Home.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I went and got them there joiner strips from your Paper Model Shop, Dave. Many thanks. Going to try and roll me some hoops tomorrow.

Yours lucidly,

Don
Old 07-17-2016, 12:33 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
I just D/L your latest tutorial on the C-130 tires and this is the best way for me to make these types of tires. Beautiful work Dave. Very simple for someone like myself to understand. Very well done Super Dave. This is just another reason I call you Super. Thank you. wc
Old 08-03-2016, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Booses Hoops

I decided to try my hand at Dave’s method of making wheels. This particular wheel is from Dave’s RAF C-130 kit (http://www.papermodelshop.com/html/hercules.html) plus the C-130 wheels add-on (http://www.papermodelshop.com/html/extras.html), which provides the tabbed joiner strips.

First, I copied and printed out Dave’s tutorial, then I printed out the wheels and joiner strips and sprayed them with UV-resistant Krylon.

I followed Dave’s lucid instructions as closely as I could. The images below tell the story. Image 5 shows the tools I used except for the medium doll eyeball sizer shown in Image 8 (Swampfox told me about these useful devices). Also in Image 8 is the Speedball printmaking carving block (rather like a large rectangular eraser) that I use for burnishing compound curves into paper. I got that idea from Shrike back when he was actively participating in the Forum. He also provided me with the stainless steel burnishing Roly-sticks (top of Image 5) that he used to sell.

Dave's methodology worked for me with no problems.

My wheel is a little lumpy, and suffers from some issues with my printer at the time, but I am persuaded that I can build these wheels and hope to eventually construct a C-130 over top of them.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Working with Hoops - Building a Paper Wheel (C-130)-davewinfield_c-130_wheels01.jpg   Working with Hoops - Building a Paper Wheel (C-130)-davewinfield_c-130_wheels02.jpg   Working with Hoops - Building a Paper Wheel (C-130)-davewinfield_c-130_wheels03.jpg   Working with Hoops - Building a Paper Wheel (C-130)-davewinfield_c-130_wheels04.jpg   Working with Hoops - Building a Paper Wheel (C-130)-davewinfield_c-130_wheels05.jpg  

Working with Hoops - Building a Paper Wheel (C-130)-davewinfield_c-130_wheels06.jpg   Working with Hoops - Building a Paper Wheel (C-130)-davewinfield_c-130_wheels07.jpg   Working with Hoops - Building a Paper Wheel (C-130)-davewinfield_c-130_wheels08.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-03-2016, 01:21 PM

I like the more balloon like look to the tire.
Looks more like an aircraft tire (to me).

Don...If thats lumpy, then I must have a perfect physique.
I'll be competing in the paper modeling portion of the Mr Universe contest next week.

I think, when I get some time, I'm gonna make up a Wheel and Tire for all the Mustang and P47 models.
Make it an add-on, free extra, download thingy.
In this same style and method.

Only drawback to this Tire method, is when you have to build six wheels (a la C130).
At least a Mustang only has two main wheels!
Old 08-03-2016, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
This is kinda like the wheel on your "Beer Truck" Spitfire, which works very nicely for a smaller wheel. I was going to use it on your Mustang (changing the hub if necessary) whenever I get around to building it. The Beer Truck wheel is a little simpler and I had pretty good results when I built it.

Beard
Old 08-03-2016, 02:58 PM

yeah, my newer Mustangs have a multi-part wheel too.
I can't keep track of everything.
lol

I think the problem with the Mustang wheel is the tread section (center hoop) is too wide.
If I narrowed it up, and added more radius to the side hoops, the Tire would have a more ballooned shape.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 72.28 MB
Coloring edges?...Try EXPO low odor dry erase markers from Staples.Com The ink in these markers does not seem to bleed into the paper like regular markers do.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaswg48 View Post
Coloring edges?...Try EXPO low odor dry erase markers from Staples.Com The ink in these markers does not seem to bleed into the paper like regular markers do.
great idea.

but what about the range of colours?
Dry Erase markers don't usually come in many colours.
Google Adsense