PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 10-19-2016, 07:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
With the antenna mounted, I'm calling it basically finished. Contrary to our esteemed instructor's statement, this dish will slide down the wire quite happily, so I'm probably going to have to add a bit of glue. The second picture should show that the rear wheels now sit reasonably close to vertical. Since I had printed two copies due to earlier errors, I glued my two copies back-to-back. I felt it would work better if I didn't score it, so it's a simple cone. This was a fun model and I enjoyed the challenge of working with the smaller parts. Thanks again, Dave, for guiding us through this build.
Attached Thumbnails
KoolWheelz Tutorial Build - Lunar Rover Racer-gedc0909.jpg   KoolWheelz Tutorial Build - Lunar Rover Racer-gedc0910.jpg   KoolWheelz Tutorial Build - Lunar Rover Racer-gedc0911.jpg  
Old 10-19-2016, 07:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Anne, looks good.

As I said, in my instructions, if you roll the mounting tube on the wire you are using
...so its center hole is the same size as the wire you are using...
and, your wire is bent at an angle (not curved),
then it can not slip past the bend.

In Anne's photo, it appears as though the mounting tube may be rolled much larger than the wire
...which would explain why it is slipping past the bend.

But...nothing a little glue can't fix!

So, how many Rovers will be at the IPMC?
LOL
More than what the USA left on the Moon probably! haha

(3, for those of you that didn't know.)
Old 10-19-2016, 08:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Whoops, Dave is absolutely right. I overlooked the instruction to roll the tube using the wire as a form. My fault entirely. And I'm lloking forward to seeing the Rover fleet at the Convention as well
Old 10-20-2016, 12:46 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Don your Moon Buggy came out great and the display is very nice. I love the photo of the Moon and the crew coming down the ladder. Very nice. Where did you find that photo? wc
Old 10-20-2016, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Waddie -

Thanks for the nice words. I downloaded it from here: http://www.andykershaw.co.uk/wp-cont...-apollo-11.jpg

Dave has since sent me a better copy that I will use in the final version. Incidentally, the high tech element of this build is that the background image is fastened to the base with a pair of rare earth magnets, so I can fold it all up for transport to Sterling. I also have Dave's Kool Wheels Galileo shuttlecraft from Star Trek under construction with a similar base emulating a Mars surface. They may be my only two "Space: Real and Imagined: displays at the IPMC next week, although Lil hopes to have a model of Musicman's lion space suit based on the Canon lion model with in image of the face of our cat to display as "Tora-chan on Mars." We'll see.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 10-20-2016, 01:38 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Thank you Don, I'll be waiting and watching for that. Sounds like you'll be busy. I have two different versions of the Shuttle. I like Dave's more so I did made it. wc
Old 10-22-2016, 12:15 PM
Eternal Member

Don I have another question about your base. Is it made of wood. At least it looks like wood. Is there any way the base could be made from paper with wood grain? Also, the graphics you used under the model, can you till me where you got that also. Much thanks Don. Models always look better with a base and if there was a way to make them using paper as I don't have access to wood and tools the make it would be a lot easier if it were made of paper. Much thanks for your help. wc
Old 10-22-2016, 01:53 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
This was a great build thread; detailed, specific, and plenty of pics and suggestions.

Thanks much for sharing this experience.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Waddie -

Sorry for the delay in responding, just got back from watching Don Giovanni.

The base is card. I am using bases that rockpaperscissors kindly shared with me. Send me an email via PM and I will send you the patterns. I got the moon surface by Googling "surface of the moon" and browsing through the images until I found what I wanted.

As mentioned, I am currently building Dave'sKool Wheelz Galileo shuttlecraft, which will be flying above a Martian surface.

Cheers, Don
Attached Thumbnails
KoolWheelz Tutorial Build - Lunar Rover Racer-airdave_koolwheels-galileo_04.jpg  
Old 10-23-2016, 06:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 110.08 MB
Finally finish! I left the seat belt off(Just my personal taste) Its parked on a 4 million year old oyster shell I found in the southern Mohave desert.
Attached Thumbnails
KoolWheelz Tutorial Build - Lunar Rover Racer-luar-rover.jpg  
Google Adsense