PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 12-31-2020, 06:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Koolwheelz Original 16 (Mattel Hot Wheels tribute)

Attached Thumbnails
Koolwheelz Original 16 (Mattel Hot Wheels tribute)-hw16poster_532x800.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-01-2021, 11:23 AM

With every Koolwheelz release, I like to include a short editorial and the Original 16 series will be no exception!
I'll try to include a little history of each model in the series.

Mattel Toys, created and released the first Hot Wheels diecast toy cars in 1968.
They were miniature versions of common muscle cars, sports cars, show cars and race cars marketed to boys of that period.
Its important to note they were not always accurate scale representations of real cars and not consistently to the same scale across models.
While some claim they are close to 1/64 scale, a fit-to-package size of about 3" long would be a better description.

1960s British Matchbox diecast toys were the inspiration for American Toy manufacturer Mattel...and interestingly Mattel Toys now owns Matchbox Inc.

Commonly known as "Redlines", the first Hot Wheels cars featured realistic dimensions and styling
but with Hot Rod custom features, oversized Mag Wheels and racing Slick Tires that featured a red pinstriped sidewall "redline".

The Custom Camaro is reported to be the very first design and production Hot Wheels car and first model released into stores in 1968.
Although the original sixteen Hot Wheels models are package numbered 6205 to 6220, with the Camaro being number 6208, the model numbers did not correlate to any release sequence.
I had the very first Track set released by Hot Wheels in 1968 (the Strip Action set) and it came with my first Hot Wheels car...which I believe was the Custom Camaro.

Like many of the original Hot Wheels designs, the Custom Camaro was created by master car designer Harry Bradley
and is based on its real life counterpart the 1967 Camaro Sport, sporting Hot Wheels trademark redline wheels.
All of his designs were treated with what he coined as "California Custom" styling.

The Custom Camaro is also unique amongst Hot Wheels cars as having the most variations of any Redline casting.
It was offered in all of the Mattel Hot Wheels Spectraflame paint colors and was produced in both US and Hong Kong factories.

Variations between the two factories were common and obvious in both tooling and production design.
Some Camaros featured door and trunk panel lines, while others didn't.
Some had black painted "vinyl" roofs.
Interior colors varied, as did the number of variations in the basic paint colors.

Like many of the early Hot Wheels toys, the Camaro featured an opening engine Hood and detailed engine bay which was part of the base casting.
In later years, opening and moving parts were limited and eliminated due to child safety laws for toy production.

The Camaro design was retooled in 1970 as the Heavy Chevy (for the Hot Wheels Spoilers line).

As always, the 1968 Hot Wheels were packaged with a metal "Collectors Button" created for each specific car...
and so does the Koolwheelz sheet! I will be including a Collectors Badge with every model.

My Koolwheelz version is slightly larger than the original Hot Wheels toy but as close as possible in scale and physical design within the self imposed limitations of the Koolwheelz design.
A very basic assembly diagram is included on the Model Sheet...I'll try to do this on every one of the original 16 models.

I have created a special "Original 16" group in the Toyz area of the Showrodz section of Koolwheelz..at my website.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:24 AM

Old 01-01-2021, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Very good and happy new year!

Regards: Joe
Old 01-01-2021, 12:00 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
One custom Camaro printed up, graphics look great, the advanced details look great, and make for a nice addition
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 01-01-2021, 12:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.47 GB
Thanks Dave and a very Happy New Year!!
Old 01-03-2021, 10:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Happy New Year Dave!

Looking forward to more of your Hot Wheelz tributes. I loved these cars as a kid.

Bart
Old 01-03-2021, 11:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good [project for the New Year, Dave.

Many thanks for your generosity and ingenuity. I have several old KoolWheelz that I hope to build in the New Year, but these new Hot Wheelz tributes are mighty tempting, and I am always easily diverted by shiny (or candy apple yellow) objects.

Don
Old 01-04-2021, 12:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Dave,
You have me hooked on this set! I don't know how many times I almost killed myself, stepping on those cars with bare feet. I started carrying a metal detector to make it through the mine fields. (Two sons who could never learn to pick them all up.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:02 AM

If you step on these. it will hurt just as much...maybe not your feet, but...
Google Adsense