PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 03-24-2018, 04:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
well...
so much anticipation for the Eagle and the Viper.
And yet...

anyone?

anyone?

Bueller?
Well, the day I downloaded the Viper and wanted to start, I ended up taking my mother to urgent care, and then a regular ER for possible heart problems. She's ok, thankfully.

Then, I ended up getting sick myself with some kind of upper respiratory crud Thursday into Friday. On the plus side, I have that great "In A World" movie voice until this clears. Anyone have any voice-overs they want done?

Third, as you guessed from our PMs, I am adding a few embellishments to mine before I print and build. This also entails some rearranging of parts as I plan to build 150-200 percent larger than stock.

And since I have the ability, I'm putting in cut lines for my Silhouette Cameo as well.

How's that for a (lack of) progress report?
Old 03-24-2018, 05:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Sorry, Dave. I'm struggling with my design of a goshoguruma right now, that I thought would be done by March 3rd. Oops
Old 03-24-2018, 06:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
sorry to hear about the health issues for you and your mum, Glenn.

if you do a cutfile for any koolwheelz model, original model sheet of course,
think about sharing it at my forum?...just keep it in mind.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.05 GB
Sorry airdave. Been doing a little designinng myself. Your fault. You told me if I wanted a model designed I should try it myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's 2018 New Koolwheelz Release Party-capture.jpg  
Old 03-24-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake7 View Post
Sorry airdave. Been doing a little designinng myself. Your fault. You told me if I wanted a model designed I should try it myself.
you are absolutely correct!

but before you go printing that model,
I can tell you that the windshield pillar
and the windshield itself, will not match (length-wise).
Better take another look at the height of your windshield section.
Google Adsense
Old 03-24-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
sorry to hear about the health issues for you and your mum, Glenn.

if you do a cutfile for any koolwheelz model, original model sheet of course,
think about sharing it at my forum?...just keep it in mind.
Gladly!

-But- (Let's talk about my big but...)

1) I'm using the plugin for Adobe Illustrator, so I cut directly from Illustrator. Not sure how many people can make use of an .ai file.

2) I converted your PDF to a TIFF to try and set things up in Silhouette Studio (free version- I'm too cheap to buy anything higher). That worked well, but when I tried to use the registration marks the portion of the left wing in the lower left corner fell into the "place nothing here" hashed area.

(I had the same issue when setting things up in Illustrator to use the plugin. rearranging things was no problem, and that's also what nudged me to look into enlarging things. I doubt you want me releasing another version of you file simply for the sake of the very few that might be using cutters...)

I am open if anyone has suggestions, or in case I'm missing something obvious.
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's 2018 New Koolwheelz Release Party-screen-shot-2018-03-24-8.35.52-pm.png  
Old 03-24-2018, 09:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.05 GB
Yes, I been looking at it. Trying to figure out how I want to do it. I finished the rest of the parts, and was checking them over. I have been told the way I design is considered scratch building. I take a drawing, and pictures to create my parts using MS Paint, and Gimp2. My designs don't look as clean as yours, but they are close enough for me. Love the Viper and Eagle!
Old 03-25-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake7 View Post
Yes, I been looking at it. Trying to figure out how I want to do it. I finished the rest of the parts, and was checking them over. I have been told the way I design is considered scratch building. I take a drawing, and pictures to create my parts using MS Paint, and Gimp2. My designs don't look as clean as yours, but they are close enough for me. Love the Viper and Eagle!
it doesn't matter your method, or what you call it...
you still need to use basic math.
For instance, if you measure the pillar length...you must then transfer that same measure to the edge length of the front windshield part.

Design your parts first (as you have them).
Then measure either part, and transfer the measurement to the mating part.
In this case, I would measure the pillar length on the side panel part first.

Your windshield (central) part is narrower at the top to handle the bend inwards of the side panel.
So, you just need to stretch the windshield area(at the top) until the side edges match the Pillar measurement.

Sgoti
I don't know about .ai files....I thought Silhouette could import .ai files?

but as long as the cutfile meets the guidelines I have set down for posting cutfiles on my forum.

You'll have to read those yourself at cutandfold-papermodelforum.com

And please do not distribute any version of my Koolwheelz model sheets anywhere outside my forum.

While at the forum, you might want to chat with Al Parent about how he is doing cutfiles.
You are welcome to go ahead and start a thread discussing the work.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I don't know about .ai files....I thought Silhouette could import .ai files?
Designer and business versions, yes. Basic (free and included with the machine) no. Since I purchased the plugin to work from Illustrator, there is no need for me to upgrade my version of Silhouette Studio.

Quote:
but as long as the cutfile meets the guidelines I have set down for posting cutfiles on my forum.

You'll have to read those yourself at cutandfold-papermodelforum.com
Done and did. Read through before I posted my reply. That is why I tried to explain what I did.

Minor clarification regarding the guidelines: Studio's basic version can't use .svg files, only the Designer version can. It can use .dxf files, however

I can't produce a file that anyone else can use out-of-the-box.

The only filetype I am capable of producing that meets the guidelines is a .studio file. As I mentioned, part of the wing falls into Studio's "place no artwork here if you want to use registration marks area".

Also, it looks like I'd have to use a file hosting service. Don't have one. Don't need one, never had to distribute files to large numbers of people.

So far, the one and only file I have made for/available to the masses (a corrected part for the Frontier A320, done with the author's permission) I posted here.

Which brings me to...

Quote:
And please do not distribute any version of my Koolwheelz model sheets anywhere outside my forum.
NEVER my intention.

Quote:
While at the forum, you might want to chat with Al Parent about how he is doing cutfiles.
You are welcome to go ahead and start a thread discussing the work.
I looked for examples of cutfiles, couldn't find any.

Moot point, since limitations of the Studio software prevent the sheet from being cut as-is.

As for a discussion...

Let's just say I hate Silhouette Studio. That's why I purchased the plugin to let me cut directly from Illustrator. No desire to use Studio, no discussion...
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's 2018 New Koolwheelz Release Party-screen-shot-2018-03-25-8.25.56-am.jpg  
Old 03-25-2018, 10:34 AM

Looks like I was wrong, only the Business edition of Studio will import .ai files.