PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 04-16-2018, 09:48 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
What a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Since the reveal order was disrupted and a Koolwheelz model was prematurely released, I am changing the next release.
Yes...I know...I can hear the nerd whining from here. LOL
Sorry, wasn't my fault...you'll just have to wait another week (at least) for the one you want.

For now, lets continue with The Prisoner Lotus Seven
[/IMG]

I never thought about building this car but the Prisoner was a series much underrated and making this kit might promote some interest in it.

I AM going to get and build this. Thanks for the idea.

My cut out "7" will be completed first, though...

Exacting the pylon spaces tonight.

Again, thanks for reminding me about this great show. Long, rough day of work, but I'll put a few episodes in it (hopefully get to The General) while I cut and glue "7" and not...Number 2...while waiting for #5...

New riddle: when is building Trek #7 done while watching Number 7????

Slainte~
Old 04-16-2018, 10:00 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
FYI: there's another great kit from the Prisoner that I never noticed on this site before; the cart that was ever-present- the Mini-Moke!
Old 04-17-2018, 12:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Why wasn't the Lotus model '6' in the release list ?
Then again, it is a free car, and not a number !!
Old 04-17-2018, 12:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Sorry - forgot to say, really big thanks, Dave, for the Prisoner Lotus, it'll look just right with my Moke. Any chance of the hearse to make 3 ? (probably not, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway).
"Be seeing you".👤
Old 04-17-2018, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
Why wasn't the Lotus model '6' in the release list ?
Then again, it is a free car, and not a number !!
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or
numbered!

Six for Two!
Six for Two!
Old 04-19-2018, 11:19 PM

Dave's shuttle...

Well, had to stay up late after work to rush this through to get it done this week but I wanted to keep my word. Below is the Galileo shuttle from the Star Trek series, a Kool Wheelz ship that I recommend.

It's a very nice little model with a lot of fine detail. Though there are many paper models of this little ship, this one has the best graphics and color scheme; more accurate than others that are larger and with more parts. When done, this little kit is tight and attractive.

The stern is actually far more accurate than the AMT kit we all grew up building, as the fan-tail of the shuttle was not blocked like in that professional-plastic kit. This is ironic, considering that the plastic model was developed from the actual build plans of the studio version. AMT developed, built, and delivered the model used in the original series in exchange for the rights to make a replica model to sell with their licensed Enterprise kit. Dave got it more accurate than the company that had complete access to the studio prop!

The shuttle is one of my favorite vessels. I have always loved shuttles, from the V craft to the Star Wars imperial transport. I don't know why, but I love the little craft. This has always been my favorite shuttlecraft of any series. I'll have to build a full size version, someday, between the someday Turtle project and bucket-list personal airship.

I am not satisfied with my build. It was rushed and the final effort looks it. I plan to rebuild it with more time, where I am not bleary eyed and impatient. I found connecting the support struts on the pylons difficult, which would support the notion that I had botched the nacelle-pylon fit. I also am not satisfied with hull fit. I want to try again without using the tabs. I would have also like to experiment with developing half-sphere bussard collectors. I've always wanted to devise a way for smoother, circular, paper parts.

I wanted to experiment with some enhancements (some layering, possibly alternate sides, changes to the bustards, etc.) but I didn't, due to respect to the author's wishes. I understand that Dave wanted his models featured here, not alterations of the kits he designs, including changing the name of this shuttle, as I considered. The page with the parts even stipulates no modifications of the kit so I respected this limitation. It would be interesting to explore enhancements to the forward ports, the upper hull, and the impulse engines at the aft.

So Dave, here it is! I'll try to build another, a bit more tight and more cleanly finished.

Slainte,

The DC
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's 2018 New Koolwheelz Release Party-kool-wheelz-galileo-shuttle.jpg  
Old 04-20-2018, 06:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Looks good. I need to build another one ... one of these days. I kept having to move it to different shelves because my rather obese cat obsessed over it and found ways to get it down. While on the phone, I heard a clunk behind me and turned in time to see the large cat pounce. The poor thing looks like it suffered from a cadet's first landing
Old 04-20-2018, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I also built the Galileo. Found the blue radomes(?) to be a challenge to my rudimentary building skills. I displayed it and the Koolwheelz Lunar Rover at the International Paper Modelers' Convention in 2016, when the theme was "Space, Real and Imagined."

Haven't been able to participate so far this year, but hope eventually to complete the 2017 Elvira Thunderbird and Little Willie and the 2018 Mk.VII* Indiana Jones tank (I am taking the last two to work on at the Fairfax, Virginia, Northern Virginia IPMS show tomorrow, so may be able to post one or both in a few days).

More later,

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's 2018 New Koolwheelz Release Party-airdave_koolwheels-galileo_05.jpg  
Old 04-20-2018, 07:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
DC...although I do appreciate seeing pics of a model as I designed it.
in no way would I demand that you not make any modifications to any model you build.
As a builder, you can fold, spindle or mutilate any model (printed or digital) into anything you want
with no permissions needed from any designer.
Nobody can tell what you can do with any model for your own personal use!
[key words there: own personal use]

You may have misunderstood the notation on this and every one of my Model Sheets.
Do Not Modify refers to making any changes to the Model Sheet itself (for redistribution).
Some people think that if they make a few changes, they can now call it their own (re)design.
I'm just trying to stop people from sharing/resharing the Model Sheet itself (in any way).

Your build looks fine.
I can appreciate you wanting to try it again and rework some areas.
Those "Bussard" domes are a very tricky build at this scale.
I hate petal assemblies, so this method is the only other option I can tolerate.
But at this scale, anything is going to be difficult.

I only use 65lb cardstock for my own koolwheelz builds (this one included).
But to make the domes easier, you could reprint the model on regular(light) copy paper).
And build the domes with the lighter paper which is easier to bend, curve, roll.
Its a bit more delicate, but it should be easier to form smoother hoops and domes.
If I ever build this one again, thats what I will try.
For now, my domes are a bit "steppy".
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's 2018 New Koolwheelz Release Party-galileo-2018.jpg  

Last edited by airdave; 04-20-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 169.37 MB
Dave... I am constantly amazed that you do all your design work with only Corel... Figuring out those arc lengths on a curved surface in order to design a mating piece to it must be a bear...

(You gotta have a lot of math skills crammed in that noggin of yours.)
Google Adsense