PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 05-11-2018, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
So....any more builds?

seriously...if I don't see some builds soon,
I'm gonna collect your names
and call your Moms.

I got one more model ready for Monday...make me proud...show me some love.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Well, I'm trying to finish up Mom's Mother's Day gift, but I'll be back to it next week.

I promise
Old 05-11-2018, 11:52 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
So....any more builds?

seriously...if I don't see some builds soon,
I'm gonna collect your names
and call your Moms.

I got one more model ready for Monday...make me proud...show me some love.

Well, I don't really need the promise of more models to express my appreciation; you've given me two very satisfying projects already! Im just going to share because I appreciate the works you contributed so far! No bribes necessary.

I still haven't rebuilt the Galileo but have instead been testing modifications on the one that I had already built, but I had rushed it...with predictable results!

One thing I did was test layering the bow to add dimension to the forward ports, with double sheets of standard copy paper. 67lb was too heavy. I'll cut them more cleanly in the next build, but this cut suggests what I am going for.

The first pic illustrates the result; defined forward window ports. On the rebuild I plan to remove the black and have white window shutters, like in the series, with the definition of the layered sheets as the differentiation of the closed shuttlers and the court hull. I might also leave them as Dave illustrated them, with black ports. I'll experiment with both, go with the best, or possibly have a combination, like with the center port open, like Decker did in Doomsday Machine.

The next pic is of the restoration of the studio model, to show my ambition.

The third pic is the studio restoration, in progress, of the stern of the shuttle, guiding my rebuild ambitions. Note the engines and airfoil curve to the upper decking.

The next pic illustrates another experimentation. I added layering to the impulse engines, with the dark option edged a layer different that the lit engine sections, with satisfying results.

I also added a grey lower frame, but I am not happy with the result. Instead of re-doing the lower gray frame in this experiment, I will instead extend the upper and lower bracketing with 100lb cardstock, curving it around the engines, extended from the aft of the shuttle and still use the working layering of the black and yellow engine ports within the planned curved housing. I'll add a few details to the stern, regrind the access hatches. No photos yet of this experiments because I am not yet satisfied with what i have attempted on the test model.

The pics of the restored studio model, currently on display in Texas, to suggest whatI am trying to replicate with an extended, curved engine housing.

The graphics are so much better than anyone else had accomplished with this kit, I want to push the framing to equal Dave's illustrative efforts.

I am still experimenting with smooth bussard domes techniques.

At least I was...

But then I got distracted...
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's 2018 New Koolwheelz Release Party-20180512_012524_resized.jpg   Dave's 2018 New Koolwheelz Release Party-s-l1600-1.jpg   Dave's 2018 New Koolwheelz Release Party-s-l1600.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180512_012620_resized.jpg (130.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by THE DC; 05-12-2018 at 12:06 AM. Reason: pics and description errors
Old 05-12-2018, 12:11 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Oops!

I forgot to add a note about the fourth pics, where I experimented upon the aft engine housing, using layering to depict dimension.

I also changed the sides of the model. I extended the cut of the side hull by adding 2.5MM to the upper portion. After cutting the extra, I curved it inward to achieve a semblance of the upper air foil.

In the next version, I'll try to erase the black line down the side of the upper frame, and have the extra 2.5MM white, suggesting the curved portion is a single piece, like in the studio model, built by the old model company, AMT. It's a real small change, but I like the effect and will curl it better on the next version for a smooth and clean curvature across the dorsal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180512_012620_resized.jpg (130.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-12-2018, 12:28 AM

But then...

This was my project until a recent Monday.

The pic below shows the project that currently interrupted the old Galileo; also a Dave design. I am sure he recognizes it, even from the blank side!

I am adding framing about the waist, cutting out doors to suggest seems, cutting out the bow illustration to add plastic, adding a lower reflective patch to suggest a deflector, adding on the ventral rectangular sections to reflect the magnetic fusion projector/ landing beacon, extending the engine housings 20% to curve into the hull, adding yellow thruster patches on the forward starboard and port housing, and reducing the nacelles by 20% height for a more true fit to the hull. I am experimenting with curving the nacelles a bit too (that's not gong too well, but I am pretty determined).

Before I am done I hope to find some lettering from another kit to match the design '5' used in the movie (black letters surrounded by a red outer frame). The comic pic that Dave designed from was slightly different than the movie version (a red 5), but his design was so smooth it encourages the creative process to seek the ambition of replicating the studio models; 3ft., 5ft., or full size!(its been interesting noting the slight differences between the 3 different sizes used on screen!).

I've rough cut and tested four versions so far, learning from each effort errors in my planning. The pic below is my most recent cut, ready for a test build. I have not figured out how to adjust the stern entry hatch for a smooth fit on the back (after adding the thin waist strip around the whole shuttle body) as the additional 5MM framing throws off the aft hatch fit.

I have already tested different bussard grills, with nothing satisfying yet. I'm still experimenting and enjoying the process.

This may take a while, but my thanks to Dave for the project. I have wanted to build this for some time and an enjoying playing with the foundations he provided to accomplish my dream kit!

I am not sure if it would be good to share the effort here or start another thread, as if I do all that I am trying, I would be at risk of hijacking the thread.

But I'm several weekends away from getting enough done to worry about that.

I'll get back to the old shuttle after this one, but this is consuming my mind's eye at present!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's 2018 New Koolwheelz Release Party-20180512_012937_resized.jpg  

Last edited by THE DC; 05-12-2018 at 12:35 AM. Reason: errors
Google Adsense
Old 05-12-2018, 07:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Do ya think this guy likes Star Trek?

LOL at least its not Star Wars!....

I appreciate the feedback.
Yes...I think its better you start a dedicated thread.
No...not because I want you out of this thread (lol)
because a more indepth report like this, deserves a separate thread.
And this thread is seriously getting sidetracked! lol

Did you say (earlier) that you were recreating an original scene (with the model)?
That would be very cool.
Like this:

I'm curious...how does the colour of the full size shuttle compare with the screen used model ( and the on-screen look).
On screen the space-flying shuttle (like the Enterprise) appears white or very very light...
I believe this is why the Enterprise was actually painted gray.
The studio lights would glare terribly off a white model.
Until you see the miniatures, you'd think the spacecraft were white.

But its obvious that the full size Galileo was gray.
Two-tone even, with a darker gray for the nacelles.

I wonder if I should alter my model?

Old 05-12-2018, 11:02 AM

Sure

You are very astute.

Lighting radically changes any set or model. The original Enterprise was a combination gray-greenish tint. This wasn't because that was supposed to be "the" color, but the model makers knew how lighting would affect the final look. They wanted a matt finish but with a neutral background that permitted the changing of the look of the model, scene to scene, to give it life and personalty. In the series, the ship appeared bluefish, reddish, and gray or white, pending the intent of the scene. Gene Roddenberry wanted the Enterprise to be a character, with mood.

The shuttle prop hull was made a light gray color on the hull with the engines a steel-silver gray. The filming model was colored slightly different that the full sized set prop, but the effort was to make them similar.

The shuttle that you did was made by a different producer. It was built by AMT model corporation in trade for the rights to produce a series of kits in the 60s. The company clearly got their investment back. As a result, the hull of the shuttle's slightly different from the look Matt Jefferies intended, as seen with the Enterprise and the Klingon ship. He wanted a hull appeared to suggest advanced engineering principle that conveyed reflective properties that suggested radiation and other protections. Jeffrey's was an aviation aficionado and consulted NASA engineers at the time for advice on the most believable principles for futuristic properties. The point was to advance the principle of intelligent entertainment; create for the smartest man in the room. This value was not as strongly held as others took over production.

That was way before my time.

In the 80s, lighting, gels, and filtering had advanced enough for a white hull, matt finished, that permitted altering the finished image to look white, blue, or even silver. I was able to see that movie magic and those models were amazing, even in person. Most movie model work is usually rough and looks lame to the eye, with the maker doing only what is necessary to look good on the film. But the expense put into the Trek models was significant, in both construction, finish, and armature points for filming angles. They were work of detail and art in their own right.

Your graphics are spot on and the best of any attempt of this ship. Lettering, etc., can really make or break a finished kit. I think graying the hull would be cool but I'd offer the white version too, as that's how most people think of it. There's a difference between the casual viewer's screen perspective and the modeler's eye for detail, right?
Old 05-12-2018, 11:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Definately deserves its own thread. Make sure you copy in what you have done so far please.

On another note. I scanned Dave's p-47 build sgain. I learn something new everytime I check it out. Really should get pinned somewhere.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-12-2018, 04:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Still working on the Little Willie and Mk.VII* from last year. Have been distracted by other matters.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 110.61 MB
#8 is Ecto-1.

Boom.

Marker down.