PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 07-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Sweet - lets get it on!
Old 07-25-2009, 10:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Ponytails' Test-build - Part 1: Introduction and printing

Hello guys & girls,

I've done it again: applying for the job as testbuilder.
Because I'm not a true airplane-builder there must be special items in the plane and there certainly are some in this model. First there is the un-usual shape and secondly the colors (colours), the paintscheme. And I never ever have sipped a RedBull. Maybe I will when the test progresses....

1-Printing
As always I made a testprint of one of the pages to see how things come out of my Canon Pixma 4300. Using the standard settings for normal paper and automatic colormanagement gave good enough result for me. Good crisp coloring and real black. Unlike the other NOBI design I did earlier... (HERE)
The modelparts are printed on the 160gr/m2 white normal paper, which I always use. The cover and manualpages are collected in a A5-sized booklet.
And already I've changed something: the canopy. AirDave has done a repaint which shows the pilots' helmet. From the sides that looks OK but when viewing from the top one sees 2 half-heads!
I used the canopy of page 7 instead which was printed on glossy photopaper. The idea is to layer-up this with the body-parts of the re-designed canopy of page 2. There is a colordifference between the glossy and normal prints. The interior will not be in this build.
At first looks there are some printing-issues: on page 6 part 20 has no number. Also on page 6 there seems to be some mis-coloring in parts 21 and part 35.
For AirDave: Parts 21 and 35 need a repaint. Suggesting the inside of a jet-engine-outlet.

And that's all for now....

To be continued...
Old 07-25-2009, 01:06 PM

Addition to Ponytails Test-build part 1

One picture says more then all my words, right?

To be continued...
Old 07-25-2009, 01:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Is it okay for me to follow up, as you go?

1. Pilot Canopy....yeah, I wasn't too thrilled with this one. Thats why I added the blue canopy. I have also created a new (third) canopy that will become the new main option...its more of a realistic glass look.
(If you want to try this one...give me an email)

2. Missing Parts numbers...good eye! I had a whole bunch of those disappear in the file transfer and I thought I got 'em all! (I guess not! lol)

3. Parts #21 & #35 Engine Exhaust internal tubes, right? I have done a stronger gradient recolour, which should work a little better.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:43 AM

Ponytails Test-build part 2: Main body

And after the printing it is now time to get my gear and start the actual building. I will follow the partsnumbers as much as possible with the supplied manual as my guide.
For starters the bulkheads were glued on 1 mm greyboard. A standard procedure with this type of design: ringshapes with gluetabs. Easy to do for most modelbuilders.

Parts 1 - 5.

Together.

Sofar no fittingproblems occured. Needless to say that the bulkheads sometimes need a little adjusting. Normal in these cases and different for every builder due to his favorite kind of paper.

Parts 6 -7 joining the club.

The main-body completed.

Time to take a closer look on the paintjob. The graphics itself are crisp and colorfull. The alignement between the various parts show a little mis-match on the bulls at both sides. Look at the heads:

Right-side.

Left-side.

It seems to me the graphics on the yellow nosecone need a little adjustment. Now must be considered the scale of things. The photo's are very close-up and thus magnifying the "problem". But perfect is perfect, right? Or anyway as close as possible. We go for the best!

Next step in the manual is the parts-serie numbers 8 - 14.
There we'll see I had to change the chosen buildingorder.

To be continued...
Google Adsense
Old 07-29-2009, 07:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice smooth build
Old 07-29-2009, 08:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Lovely build so far. Looking forward to its completion and release of the kit.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Very nice build. I'm going to have to buy this one.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Hey Pony...nice work!

Couple of questions....

I notice the colours are washed out and a little paler than I had intended...could this be the photos? or your printing methods? or do we need to deepen the colours (specifically the red & yellow, and the "silver" gradient greys)?

Graphics slightly off...nice...this is exactly what I need to see to tweak all the graphics!

what do you think about the black lines around the parts?...could the builder trim the parts closer to the colour to eliminate the edge lines?...or maybe should I treat these lines in a different colour?

The internal panel lines obviously show up very well, and I could lighten those.

Pony, I PMed you...please check

Last edited by airdave; 07-29-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post

I notice the colours are washed out and a little paler than I had intended...could this be the photos? or your printing methods? or do we need to deepen the colours (specifically the red & yellow, and the "silver" gradient greys)?
If you want to see the same colors both of you have to calibrate your monitors and printers with the same color temperature and you have to take the pictures with the same color balance and the same light.

I can tell you I've tried because with a friend share the hobby of photography and is very tought. You have to take account of a lot of factors to reproduce color.
Google Adsense