PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 09-08-2019, 04:53 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
That looks terrific!

Don

I agree.
Very nice photos of that Limber.
Mike
Old 09-09-2019, 08:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Bloody marvelous, amazing quality of design. Bloody well done, Sir.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Dave,

Seriously, it is a good thing that this is a digital model, instead of a book model.
Everyone that collects or builds paper military vehicle models is going to want this set. I predict this is going to be one of your top two popular military
vehicles. The other one will be the one that you haven't designed, yet.

My personal thank you for making this PHENOMENAL effort and listening/reacting to fan inputs.

John
Old 09-09-2019, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Thanks all.

Missileer, based on sales of the Quad so far,
I'd say the Add-On package (Limber and 25pdr) will be my lowest best-selling kit to date. LOL
Old 09-25-2019, 12:19 PM

For those of you that didn't know...
I've been dealing with issues at my own Forum and with my cutandfold.info web page.
This is the third time I've had to deal with malware at hostgator.
I'm not the only one fed up with this...and I am still in the process of trying to save, and move the Forum to a new host.
FYI I will be moving all my domains and websites to a new host.

Along with that, I've also been gearing up for my lovely Daughter's Wedding, which happened this past weekend.
I took Grandma with me and we spent a couple of days in "Cottage Country", where my Daughter lives on her small farm.
They organized their own wedding on their property and entertained about a hundred guests.
A rollicking good time was had by all.

Surprisingly, through all this, I have managed to get started on the 25 pounder Gun model...
starting with the Frame of the carriage that carries the gun.

I didn't think this was that complicated...but it turned out to be a real challenge figuring out all the shapes and angles of the
Frame Rails, and all the connecting panels...and finding out a way to make it all buildable for the average builder.

My first idea involved ignoring different parts that make up the frame, and assembling a top, bottom and two outer sides.
Inside of which would be a Former arrangement cut from heavier card, to keep it all straight and self-supporting.

Unfortunately it became too tricky to close up this "box-like" assembly (around the Former structure).
And, the Formers have to be bent in numerous places, which doesn't work well with thicker parts.
If you're like me, you hate Formers...the extra work of layering parts to heavier card, and then cutting out thick card parts
is tedious work and hard on the fingers (and knife blades).
Sometimes Formers are a necessary part...I'm okay with that...but if they can be eliminated, then why not?

So, after a rethink, I decided to try a more realistic approach...looking at the way the real thing is assembled.
I have thrown out the thick internal Formers!
Two (multi-angled) Frame Rails...are connected by top and bottom plates and a few other separate panels.

I have photos and measurements, and so I created top/bottom views of each angled and complicated Frame Rail.
That was the easy part...creating it out of paper was a bit tougher.
Making it so that the paper assembly didn't twist , buckle and bend, became a real challenge.
I modified the design a dozen times, trying new ways of positioning the parts before assembly,
changing the number of individual parts, and figuring out a method of assembly.

The basic Frame Rail worked best as one single part with numerous folds and cut-out shapes.
As long as you score and fold carefully, and then glue carefully, in order, it works.
And additional layers will build strength into the Rails and add the necessary frame details later.

Eventually I got two mirrored Frame Rails ready for connection.
The top and bottom plates were fairly straightforward...it was the inside connection between those two plates (and the Frame Rails)
that was the biggest challenge of all. It has numerous angles and curves that all interact together...figuring out those angles and curves
required a number of test builds and tweaks.

After assembling the two Frame Rails, the top and bottom plates are connected with the inner strip.
Top connection is pretty easy, the bottom requires a bit more patience.
Glue up the center tab...allow it to set up...then glue one tab at a time working out from the center, and shaping the strip as you go.
After, the central assembly can be attached to each Frame Rail to complete the rear half of the Frame.

To complete the front section, and solidify the Frame, two "spreaders" are installed between the Frame Rails.
The front is an actual cross-member (ahead of the Carriage Axle), and the second component is basically an angled 'box".

Not sure why the top is angled, but it is...I guess something needs clearance.
I've had to redesign the front parts a couple of times to get the best fit.
I'm moving on now to the supports for the Axle...and the Axle itself.

There are many more surface attachments, and brackets to be fitted, but the basic frame is complete.

Google Adsense
Old 09-25-2019, 12:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Congratulations on your daughter's wedding.

Sympathy for the aggravating computer-Internet-hostile attack issues.

Kudos on solving a complex three-dimensional geometric challenge to produce that elegant and graceful trail.

Don
Old 09-25-2019, 12:40 PM

Thanks Don...and a Happy Birthday to you!!
I am so sorry to have missed you last year
...I spoke so much about you, my Daughter was really looking forward to meeting you.
And theres no chance of us getting down there this year (she has a Barrel Racing tourney in Alabama that same week).
I will try to drag her down there again maybe next year.

Computer stuff is slowly getting sorted.
I found much cheaper web hosting than I have been using all these years.
So thats real good for me!

Yes, that Frame was a challenge for my little brain...since I don't use 3D software.
But, with a little patience and thinking and math...and a lot of wasted card and ink! lol...
Old 09-25-2019, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Great start on the 25 Pounder!

I was wondering how you were going to tackle the trail. The design comes from a time when most of the British designers seem to have been prima donnas without the constraints of finite element analysis or limited fabrication techniques. (Ask an aeronautical engineer about the construction of a Spitfire...)

Regards,

Charlie
Old 09-25-2019, 05:31 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Great to see the 25-pounder under way Dave.
Count me as part of the audience for this one.
And Congratulations on your daughter's wedding!
Mike
Old 10-05-2019, 09:31 AM

I have actually...slowly...been able to keep going with the 25pdr build (despite the ongoing forum and website issues).
Granted, its slow work...I haven't designed any new parts in some time.
But I did already have the beginnings of the main Carriage Axle...so...

the Axle is a long 6" dia. (152mm) tube, with tapered ends.
I decided to split the tube into three parts, making it easier to assemble obviously.
And so the mounting brackets have a smaller hole through the center.

After the two mounts are assembled (each has three parts plus two reinforcing inner panels)
they can be joined by the central tube, and mounted to the Frame Rails.

Obviously you can see the wooden dowel that I have installed...this will be the main support for the Wheels
and it is completely hidden inside the larger paper tubes.
Pre-installing the dowel keeps everything in proper alignment while its being glued and installed.

I've added the tapered end tubes (completing the Axle tube).
They are just centered and glued to the mounting brackets.

I've modified the Limber Wheels, and I will reuse them on the Gun Carriage,
and they will receive a backing disc that simulates part of the Brake Drum assembly.
also some detail parts attached to each of the Brake Drum Discs
and then the Discs are aligned onto the dowel, and glued to the ends of the tapered main Axle.

The right and left Brake Drums are connected by brackets and a solid connecting tube/rod.
The Brake actuating lever is mounted at the right Wheel Brake Drum and moves both left and right wheel Brake Actuators via this long rod/tube.

To finish things I have attached the Brake Actuator Rod mounted to the front of the main Axle Tube.

I'm trying to simulate the basic components but keep the design as simple as possible.
Not only to make the assembly easier...but some of these parts are fairly well hidden under the Frame and behind the forward shield.

Google Adsense