PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 02-06-2021, 06:51 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
An interesting history and a really nice looking design. Thank you again, Dave. Unfortunately, other than downloading for the future, I have no ability to print or build anything at this time. Almost a year of my free time went into getting the "fixer upper" we're living in now up to snuff, and now that we're here, I'm spending most of my free time getting the old place ready to be listed for sale. I just recently replaced my old Windows Vista desktop, and I haven't gotten the printer/tower situation sorted out yet - the new unit doesn't recognize the printer.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB

Old 02-09-2021, 09:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Another classic project you have taken on. It reminded me of my visit to the Automobile Driving Museum in L.A. last February, before COVID. Thought you might enjoy some photos of life size Hot Wheels from that visit. I can’t wait for your next release.
Attached Thumbnails
Koolwheelz Original 16 (Mattel Hot Wheels tribute)-41790e83-2701-426b-950d-71eb8e095d83.jpg   Koolwheelz Original 16 (Mattel Hot Wheels tribute)-a2d95f13-1a00-437d-af02-58556c6d5a91.jpg   Koolwheelz Original 16 (Mattel Hot Wheels tribute)-61ffc694-7a1a-4407-9bd7-0e7977e591a4.jpg   Koolwheelz Original 16 (Mattel Hot Wheels tribute)-4ab5434b-d9ac-4860-b9f7-8f26d25d5d3d.jpg  
Old 02-09-2021, 01:27 PM

my post deleted...because its sidetracking my thread! LOL sorry

nice museum pics though.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:49 PM

A Cadillac may seem like an odd choice for a Hot Wheels race car, but the Eldorado two door sport styling made it an ideal candidate for the "California Custom look"!

Unlike any Cadillac before it, the 1967 Eldorado coupe was intended to compete for attention with the muscle cars of the 1960s.
It got Harry Bradley's attention...and he designed the Hot Wheels Custom Eldorado for 1968.

The Custom Eldorado only appeared in 1968 and 69, and the casting was never used again.
Most models came with white interiors...a few with a dark interior...and all had painted black (vinyl) roofs.
The model was available in all Spectraflame paint colours.

Like many of the Original 16 models, the Eldorado had an opening Engine Hood. A detailed engine bay was part of the metal base casting and the hood feature performance bulges.

As always, the 1968 Hot Wheels were packaged with a metal "Collectors Button" created for each specific car....and the Koolwheelz Custom Eldorado sheet has one too!

My Koolwheelz version is slightly larger than the original Hot Wheels toy but as close as possible in scale and physical design within the self imposed limitations of the Koolwheelz design.
A basic assembly diagram is included on the Model Sheet.

Find the Hot Wheels Custom Eldorado in the Showrodz-Toys-Original 16 section.

Google Adsense
Old 02-13-2021, 07:16 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Pretty Kool, Dave. Only in production for two years? A mint '67 Custom Caddy must be worth big bucks today.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:01 AM

Other than a Hot Pink* one, the 1968 Eldorado is one of the lower valued cars (on the rarity scale).
*a Pink any model is generally worth more, since pink was the least produced colour by Mattel...not a "boys" colour they felt!

While there are many models that can command a thousand dollars and more for a near mint loose car,
the Eldo might set you back no more than $200-$300 for a perfect example.

Far from the bottom of the value scale, but not the rare model you might think.
It probably has more to do with fan interest in the particular car model?

Unopened, original packaged cars are not hard to come by, but are obviously worth a lot more than a loose car.
But the same scarcity values apply to packaged examples.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.53 GB
Thanks Dave for your awesome work. I love this Hot Wheels cars. Found an interesting site about the 1968 Hot Wheels series:

List of 1968 Hot Wheels | Hot Wheels Wiki | Fandom

A lot information about every car ! I hope this hasn´t be posted before...
Old 02-17-2021, 08:20 AM

Old 02-19-2021, 04:35 PM

Its Friday...its Friday...I hate that song...its Friday!

The Hot Wheels Beatnik Bandit toy was based on the well known reallife Beatnik Bandit custom car
which was designed and built by California Kustomizer Ed "Rat Fink" Roth in the early 1960s.

However the Hot Wheels toy version has a number of obvious physical differences.
Like many Hot Wheels cars, it has been redesigned to a much simpler shape for easier casting (as a metal miniature).

Many Hot Wheels cars are also redesigned to be safer for children, and more durable for play.
For example, the original Bandit's wider running boards and fenders have been drastically narrowed and incorporated into the upper body.

Also gone is the trademark Ed Roth wild multi-colour custom paint scheme
...replaced with Hot Wheels trademark solid colour Spectraflame finishes.
It still looks like the Beatnik Bandit...just a bit different.

Its a great choice for one of Mattel's original sixteen Hot Wheels models of 1968.
And one of six models based on wild and completely custom built showcars.

The original "redline" Beatnik was produced from 1968 to 1971, and revived many years later for the 25th anniversary of Hot Wheels toys.
The cars were cast in both Hong Kong and the US with a number of differences, and available in the full line of Spectraflame colours.
They also featured three different interior colours and two different colour transparent plastic bubble tops.

For my Koolwheelz version of the Bandit, I had to make some changes!
My model is just slightly larger than the original Hot Wheels toy, and I have not included a clear bubble top, since it is impossible to recreate in paper.
You might just leave it with no bubble top, since I have created interior artwork for you to install.
But for the purpose of my photos, I mocked up a clear bubble top.
I'll leave it up to you, the builder to create your own clear plastic bubble (as I did with my larger Beatnik Bandit Koolwheelz model)...

Because this build is a bit more complicated than other Koolwheelz models, I have created a separate Assembly sheet that you can download at my Forum. www.papermodelforum.com - Index
And as always, the 1968 Hot Wheels were packaged with a metal "Collectors Button" and I've included a recreation with the paper model.

Find the Koolwheelz Hot Wheels Beatnik Bandit in the Showrodz-Toys-Original 16 section of Koolwheelz.

Google Adsense