PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 10-05-2009, 11:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
just a 48 star flag?
like this:
Something like that...

Quote:
what about the other 25 variations?
I'd think that some of them might be useful, if someone were doing the 1898 Maine, or 1847 Arakwe, or another early US Naval vessel.

Quote:
I don't know what the requirement is?
No "requirement"...

Quote:
is this a flag for a particular application?
Lots of WWI and WWII ships out there would look great flying your flags...

Quote:
why are you asking for this one in particular?
Um, because I thought of it when I read the thread?

Quote:
same sizes? styles,etc? as on my previous flag sheets
I didn't think any of those questions would come up, or that any of it would be so important. I just thought a 48 star US would be a good addition. It's not that big a deal, and I'm sorry I offended you.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
hehehe
offended me?..lol...you touch my pasta, that would offend me!

if you (personally) want a particular flag for a particular application/requirement (ie "I'm building this specific model and I need a period accurate flag to fly on it")
then I can put it together, you need only to ask.

If I am going to put together a "sheet of Flags" for everyone, they need to apply to a certain application/requirement.

Obviously I can't create sheets of 26 Flags (there are 26 US Flag variants)
...but if there were 3 flags, from a particular era, that are in demand?

or, maybe 1 US flag and two other types of flags that applied to a certain historical event/period/vehicle...

get it?

I am gonna guess that those two vehicles you mentioned are American Civil War? which I know nothing about...so someone would have to illustrate to me, what flags might be of interest (to many modelers) or what application calls for some flags, and I will come up with some artwork to suit.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:39 AM

Nope, no specific application/requirement. Just a suggestion. You did Japan and Germany from the same era, so I just figured that US ought to be included.

And I was worried about offending you, since all your very specific questions came off almost as an interrogation of sorts. I was just making a comment. Not everything has to be so specific you know.

The Maine was the ship that had a coal bunker explosion in Havana Harbor in 1898 that was reported by the Hearst newspapers as a mine laid by Spain, which in turn started the Spanish-American War. The Arakwe was a small cruiser/gunboat who's claim to fame was, that after a large tidal wave, she found herself beached in Cuba, and in order to protect the cargo of two other merchant vessels, fired round balls of cheese at the looting mob. Just a bit of Naval Trivia.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:00 AM

see. my interrogation worked!

Not being American or a History major, I know very little about the previous versions of American Flags...
(I thought I was looking at a Civil War flag)

the 48 star Flag served until 1959, which means its accurate to WW2!

I had to look that up, since I am a Brit living in Canada, now I understand, why this flag would connect to what I have already done...and your further comments (re my interrogation again! lol) lead me to "Naval applications/WW2/USA"....woohoo, see, I'm getting somewhere!

specific works in this regard...to create some flags like this, it helps to know a specific application, so I can limit it to two or three flags and be as accurate as possible....and appeal to as many applications as possible.

don't take my interrogations the wrong way...I would never assume you modelers don't take your hobby seriously and would slap any old flag on a model...and my OCD won't allow me to let it go without a complete and thorough investigation (interrogation)!

This is a great suggestion!!!...some WW2 US Flags are coming!!

I am also going to look at Civil War era Flags too...
Old 10-06-2009, 01:21 PM

Dave:
No need to do a great deal of research, as there were only two or three flags ever approved with regard to Civil War era naval use. The Confederate Navy used either the canton of the "First National" flag, which is a blue field with a circle of 7 stars representing the number of states in the Confederacy. Another version used, was the canton of the "Second National" flag as their Navy Jack. It is the "St. Andrew's Cross" flag similar to the "battle flag" that everyone seems to get so bent out of shape over. It was, however, as a navy jack, intended to be used in a square shape.

The Federals used either the "Gadsden" flag (the snake over stripes "don't tread on me" flag) or the canton from the 34 or 35 star flags, depending on the year or availability.

I'm a member of the United States Vexillological Society, which studies the design and symbology of US historical flags, so don't wear yourself out searching for too much information. The use of flags in the Civil War wasn't as widespread as one might think. If people wanted a flag, they generally made one themselves, and there weren't too many regulations they followed.
Google Adsense
Old 10-06-2009, 02:48 PM

okay, not sure how soon I will look into the Civil War stuff

but HERE is the US WW2 Flags!!
Old 10-06-2009, 07:47 PM

Dang... That was FAST!