PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 04-22-2018, 06:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
I had my complete collection, five models, at the Northern Virginia IPMC Model Classic show yesterday. They were the tutorial models (Scooby Doo van, Bluebird, Lunar Rover, and Batman Tumbler), plus the Man From U.N.C.L.E car. I took the BP Autotanker to work on at the show, but forgot some essential tools, so kept it in the box. We did, however, distribute lots of the U.S. M113 APC to promote paper modeling.

I was sick last night and not 100% recovered today, but decided to build the Autotanker today anyhow. It's not my best work, but it's a handsome model and I enjoyed building it. Here are a few pictures, with my genuine "Washington D.C. area Blooming Cherry Tree" in the background:

(P.S. I also built the Wienermobile, but gave it to the crew of the real Oscar Meyer vehicle, so that makes 7 KoolWheelz that I've built.)
Attached Thumbnails
AirDave's Kool Wheelz Collection-gedc1028.jpg   AirDave's Kool Wheelz Collection-gedc1029.jpg   AirDave's Kool Wheelz Collection-gedc1030.jpg  

Last edited by Amccombs3; 04-22-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Noice!

[The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.]

Very noice!
Old 04-23-2018, 03:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
I 2nd Dave - very nice build. When I finally get time off work - on day 6 of 8 today, I'll attempt my build.(Or chop a finger off due to tiredness !)
Old 04-23-2018, 08:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
So far only Snoopy and his Sopwith Dog House. Also the wonderful Birthday Razerback you gave me. Does that count.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 04-23-2018, 02:08 PM

Star Trek Galileo Type 4 Shuttlecraft

When I first created the original series Star Trek Galileo shuttlecraft papermodel (years ago),
I got several requests for more... other types of Trek Shuttlecraft.

But I didn't want to get carried away...I wasn't really bothered about other Shuttlecraft.
I knew if I gave in, then more requests would come. lol

So, when I got a recent request (for the Type IV shuttlecraft) I didn't pay it a lot of attention.

But a little while later, I was looking through a Trek site, trying learning a little more about the different Shuttles,
and I came across a scene from the original Animated Series of Star Trek.

Now that got my attention!

The animated series is considered to be almost as important as the original series.
It not only ran longer than the original series, but it was made by all the same people.
It was voiced by the original cast...mostly.
And its probably the biggest source of more canon material than the original series!

Alas...turns out the Type IV shuttlecraft is not part of the animated series...I guess it first appeared in the Trek films...

but it is in the Star Trek comics!...and thats almost the same as animated tv series!! lol isn't it?!

So...this is not the shuttle from Trek 5, or 6, or whatever you think it is.
It is completely inspired by a single frame from a Star Trek comic book.

I did go to the memory-beta website, and they have a page dedicated to this particular comic book craft:
Galileo (NCC-1701-A/05) (Type 4).
I guess its pretty much the same or similar to the shuttles in the movies...but it probably not be acurate to the movie versions.
Its the one I chose to do...and its best you gonna get!

Live long and paper!

You can find the Type IV Shuttlecraft in the SpaceCarz(Starcarz) section at my website. Dave's Card Creations Home

And there will be an Assembly Sheet for this one (look in the Assembly Diagrams area of my forum cutandfold-papermodelforum.com)

Old 04-23-2018, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Nice looking shuttle, though I personally still like the original, probably because it's the version I grew up with. Will have to make sure everything is clean - tools and fingers - when building.🖖
Old 04-23-2018, 09:46 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Great kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
Nice looking shuttle, though I personally still like the original, probably because it's the version I grew up with. Will have to make sure everything is clean - tools and fingers - when building.🖖

I agree, that the original AMT ship was hard to beat, even when compared with Jefferies original design, but this was one of the finer adaptions into the movie age. I loved the nods to the original, while reflecting the newer tech look of the movie era.

Its hard to believe that this design actually saw only one story use, given how often it is referred to elsewhere. It appeared in STV frequently as the Galileo % and as sister shuttle Copernicus 3. In the original series, the Enterprise also had a shuttle named Columbus, which could be assumed was one of the other unseen shuttles, and the number is there fore unknown (in the series, Galileo is shuttle number seven, as illustrated on the side: NCC-1701/7). Dave's version of this shuttle is available on his site.

I look forward to building this and experimenting with it. The build sheet is nice and suggests a simple, delicate design.

Thanks Dave!
Attached Thumbnails
AirDave's Kool Wheelz Collection-shuttle-copernicus-prop.jpg  

Last edited by THE DC; 04-23-2018 at 10:05 PM. Reason: pic not loading
Old 04-24-2018, 06:58 AM

While designing a model, I search for images that will give me the visual reference I need
and I end up with a folder containing the working design files and reference images.
I literally only have one reference image in my file for this model...

Its the only reference I used for the overall design, other than the rear of the craft.
The rear doors/panel were the only thing I couldn't see,
so I web searched screen-caps (to see the back end of the movie shuttle).
Then I just stylized the rear to suit what I had already designed up front.

haha I just noticed I bungled(reversed) the colours in the little Federation logo near the nose!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
No, not bungled. Deliberately changed to keep the Trek lawyers at bay
Old 04-24-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
No, not bungled. Deliberately changed to keep the Trek lawyers at bay
**unfortunately thats a myth...making small changes does not get you around copyrights.

I'd like to claim control, but I must once again admit confusion and ignorance.

I think I got the colour pattern from another drawing.
I notice that my Galileo logo is more like the original shuttle and not the cartoon one.
And I did look at various images on the web when searching for reference.
So maybe I referred to some other images and didn't realize the colour change.