PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 05-25-2010, 06:40 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
All good points. I forgot about the formers needing to be trimmed - I had to do this on my previous model too. I didn't have a problem with wrapping the skin though - on the model as well as on the plane, the space is there for the bay or it wouldn't work.

I don't quite agree with your comments about the inner canopy frame, with the cockpit added, it will be a focal point on the model, so will get close looks and will be visible and noticeably (at least to me) missing. However no problems, all the adjoining surfaces are in the same place as the greenhouse canopy, so the frame, with very slight bending, is essentially identical and the inner portions can just be removed.

I'll take close pics of my mods to help you decide later on what you'd like to add and how they may fit.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 06-01-2010, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Got an email the other day from Wayne, about Bonnie B.

Seems I confused a couple of parts, when zipping up the final kit for Bonnie B (Don Beerbower ACES of ecardmodels)
and there are some colour differences on certain pages.

I have updated my aluminum/silver skin colouring a few times...trying out new textures and new colours for the best printer results.

But this time, I somehow mixed up two different textures.

Anyway, adjustments have been made....
a new kit went out to Wayne,
a new kit has been forwarded to Chris at ecardmodels,
and anyone who purchased can get the update when they are ready.

As usual....don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any problems or concerns with any of my kits.
And feel free to email me directly for help if necessary.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:26 AM
cModerator

Hey Dave, just noticed that on ECM, both the Bonnie B and the Margie Maru are showing the Bonnie B coverpage on the model pages. Might want to update Chris.

In other news, I've got my Old Crow and cockpit kit printed out at 1:72 (in duplicate), ready for sealing (duplicate is ready in case sealing fails again), then building. Summertime is upon us however, so modeling time has kind of taken a back seat to yard work, enjoying the outdoors, and prepping the house for an upcoming addition to the family (my wife is due in October). :D I'll get to it though...
Old 06-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
well what the heck am I doing now.... too busy....

fixed!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmags View Post
Hey Dave, just noticed that on ECM, both the Bonnie B and the Margie Maru are showing the Bonnie B coverpage on the model pages. Might want to update Chris.

In other news, I've got my Old Crow and cockpit kit printed out at 1:72 (in duplicate), ready for sealing (duplicate is ready in case sealing fails again), then building. Summertime is upon us however, so modeling time has kind of taken a back seat to yard work, enjoying the outdoors, and prepping the house for an upcoming addition to the family (my wife is due in October). :D I'll get to it though...

hahaha you just did!!

what do you mean by sealing?...did you spray seal the pages? and it didn't work?
Google Adsense
Old 06-01-2010, 02:29 PM
cModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
what do you mean by sealing?...did you spray seal the pages? and it didn't work?
Yes, my first attempt to spray-seal a model or parts pages resulted in ruin. I'm going to give it another shot, but haven't yet:

Spray sealing finished models
Old 07-07-2010, 01:26 PM

I did up a page of Joiner Strips for my 1/33 Mustangs.

Actually should work for any Marek Mustang,
1/33 or scale down for 1/50

I didn't install all the cut tabs, you can figure that out yourself,
but the proper shapes are there...
just print the sheet on regular paper (or cardstock if desired)
cut out the strips,
add the tabs to one side
and install.

I have include end tabs as well as the main joiner strips
and a couple of extra tabs for some small parts.

Download High Quality Mustang (Marek) Joiner Strips
Attached Thumbnails
AirDave' Marek Mustangs - News, Mods, Updates-p51-joiner-strips-sample.jpg  
Old 07-12-2010, 02:07 PM

CMAGS is currently building the Old Crow P-51 repaint of mine HERE

And he just contacted me
(thanks Chris!) regarding a couple of issues with this model.
One I definately have to address (I will issue a repair update page),

and the other issue I need to discuss before making any changes.

Chris (cmags) is quite right to point out that I forgot to install the white identification stripes on the horizontal Tail planes.

-I need to fix this and issue a new kit to ecardmodels asap.

Anyone who has this model should check with ecardmodels in a few days, to download an updated kit.

Chris also pointed out the gray, apparently unfinished section of the rear fuselage...
it looks like I made a mistake and does not seem to jive with the vintage photo of this aircraft.
It almost appears (in the vintage photo - shown below) that that plane is painted solid green, right through to the Rudder.

However...I was already aware of this issue, when doing the repaint, and upon examining things a little more closely,
I came to the conclusion that the profile artwork of the Old Crow was possibly correct in this area.
Any opinions are welcome...

I don't like to rely on Profile Artworks, but this one might just be more correct.
Right away, I noticed the obvious blank gray area under the Tail Planes.

and right away, I noticed that it didn't match the vintage photo.

Or did it?...
after examining a little more closely, I came to the conclusion that you can see the division point between the fuselage and rudder.
And although it is heavily shaded under the Tail Planes, you can see what appears to be a lighter colour on the fuselage, ahead of the rudder line.

It looked to me like there was a definate lighter colour difference and this jived with the profile artwork.

And in the end, I decided that for some odd reason, the lower gray paint (or is it bare aluminum?) was carried up under the tail Planes.
Hey, its not the first hand painted oddity on a WW2 plane! lol

So, based on this, I made the call to follow the profile artwork with the paintwork in that area.
Any other ideas as to why I should change it now?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Dave,

I think the photo tells the story as best it can.
I see no reason to change it.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:38 PM
cModerator

Let me start with a statement that I could go either way, and am all for artistic license in model design. That said, I'll provide a counter point just for discussion's sake:

Same photo, scanned a moment ago from a new copy of To Fly and Fight, Bud Anderson's book.

You can see the shadow here a bit more clearly. It looks to me that the color is indeed the same throughout the tail section, with the light/dark barrier at the rudder line being a change in angle of the metal and therefore a change in reflection. The color is not all that much lighter than in front of the tail wing shadow, and not nearly as light as the bare metal wing tank, which is in shadow. You can see on the side of the plane under the canopy that the green areas do show up that light due to reflection of the sun.

Edit: You can also see that the curve of the green and start of the bare metal in the artwork begins only a third of the rear wheel well length behind it, but the shadow on the photo is a good full wheel length behind and still shows the same shade. We should see the change in color begin before the shadow if the artwork is accurate (to this photo).

But since you have one reference that goes with what is currently on the model, I will attach my tail and not worry about historical accuracy. This paint job only lasted a month anyway according to Bud's book, so a flux in the paint scheme at any given time seems to be the norm. So if you want to change it, go for it, otherwise I'll just carry on.

Last edited by cMags; 07-12-2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: devil's advocate
Google Adsense