PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 07-12-2010, 03:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I do like what I see in this photo better...
there is still an odd colour difference right at the rear of the fuselage, but the under tail wing area is a little more visible.
and where is the curve up line from the undergray colour? its obviously not there?

but for that matter...where is the lower gray colour at all?

you can see, below the engine, the transition to the lower gray.
there should be a gray transition line at the rear fuselage too?

I've got some photos of other aircraft from this group, like Hun Hunter,
that have the under gray line at the rear, and the gray section under the tail plane just like the Old Crow profile artwork.

But, based on this version of this photo, I am tempted to alter the paint scheme of this area to an all green look.

Heres a theory...this photo was taken after D-day and before the removal of the D-day paint job.
Repairs were made to the aircraft, paint touchups and the like just so someone could photograph the plane.
Someone painted over the entire tail with green paint, even wiping out the under gray.

?hmmmm

Chris, I have no problem making you up a page that has the gray area removed...you need to get the updated Tail planes anyway.
I still have to think some more as to whether I should change the model itself.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The "standard" camouflage in Spring, 1944 would have been Dark Olive Drab uppers and Neutral Grey undersides. The "factory fresh" demarcation line for camouflaged P-51s (B and D) did not rise up to the bottom of the stabilizer but continued straight aft and included the bottom 6-8 inches of the rudder. The side of the fuselage under the stabilizer would be Dark Olive Drab. Again this was the "standard" pattern - field maintenance, tactical repaints and damage repairs obviously resulted in many deviations from the prescribed colors and patterns.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:16 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Well don't create a special page/part on my account. If you graft it into the model, then I'll grab the update. If not, I'm not worried about accuracy (unless you really want it there for the final build photos for ecardmodels.com). I'd have to either print it on normal bond paper (and hope the color comes out the same) and wrap the section, or remove the section surgically and rebuilt the whole thing, including both formers, and my scratch-built wheel well. Not an impossible task but I don't see a real benefit to the effort. My primary goal was to simply point it out incase it was oversight (like the stripes), or inaccuracy so that we could discuss and you could decide (like we're doing now), so that someone who buys the model later who may be more concerned with accuracy, ends up a happy customer.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 07-12-2010, 04:15 PM

I don't care what you want Chris!!!
now shut up and accept the new parts I make for you!!

seriously...I have already painted the entire tail green, to match that photo.
I am that convinced!

but then I thought about the lower gray again.
In that photo there is NO lower gray line...and there should be.
Just like you can see on the cowling front.
The gray is high enough that it is quite visible on the tail section.

That tells me that someone has painted over the gray, and possibly painted over the gray area we are discussing.
Why did this profile artist paint the gray like that?
Why are there other Mustangs from the same group with a similar gray tail like that?

Chris you have me convinced that I misread that photo, and the plane in that picture has a green tail section.
But was that the way it was originally?...say, when it went into battle?

I'm gonna send you a new Page 3...with the updated Tail stripes.
and a completely green tail section just like that photo.

I am just not sure what to do about the original kit though...still thinking.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:18 PM
cModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I don't care what you want Chris!!!
now shut up and accept the new parts I make for you!!
[sheepish] Yes, sir... [/sheepish]

:p
Google Adsense
Old 07-12-2010, 04:25 PM

Check your email...sending you the new page shortly.

I have decided...I am going to include both parts!!
I have made a few other repairs to the existing tail section, including cleaning up the green outlining of the numbers
and reshaping the gray line along the bottom of the fuselage..

I have also created a new tail with all green paint, just like in that photo.
(I like my theory, that the plane was cleaned up after the fact and some slapped on a coat of green and painted over all the gray in the tail section)

So, if you trust the profile artwork, you can build it with the gray rear fuselage.
if you prefer as it is in that photo, you can use the all green part!

simple solution.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:53 PM
cModerator

That works. I'll print it out when I next get over to my buddy's place so I can use the same printer I printed this on to match the colors best. I'll see if skinning works otherwise evaluate how difficult cutting the part and re-attaching will be.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:04 PM
cModerator

So after all that, I think when I print out a new copy of the part, I'm going to go with a *third* design, as Ron had described being the standard paint scheme, with the green continuing to meet up with the rudder and the gray underside also continuing the entire length of the fuselage, ending at the rudder.

Example: http://www.airliners.net/photo/North...0e9bf7d6e02aa9

All the descriptions I've seen, era photos of other planes, and replicas today show this, with the gear bay doors being gray instead of green on the underside. It's a simple mod that I can do myself based on your two options, since I'm sure you're sick of modifying this tail by now lol. But I'll post my results of course. :D Thanks again Dave for your continued effort on making your customers happy!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmags View Post
So after all that, I think when I print out a new copy of the part, I'm going to go with a *third* design, as Ron had described being the standard paint scheme, with the green continuing to meet up with the rudder and the gray underside also continuing the entire length of the fuselage, ending at the rudder.

Example: Photos: North American P-51B Mustang Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

All the descriptions I've seen, era photos of other planes, and replicas today show this, with the gear bay doors being gray instead of green on the underside. It's a simple mod that I can do myself based on your two options, since I'm sure you're sick of modifying this tail by now lol. But I'll post my results of course. :D Thanks again Dave for your continued effort on making your customers happy!

well, I don't think I am gonna use a Jack Roush modern day replica for paint reference...

but, I don't have a problem with your paint idea.
There seems to be a general pattern in the way the basic green/gray paint scheme evolved on most these aircraft.
Looking at the earlier A-36 and P51A-B the gray transition line was way low on the fuselage, almost not seen from the side.
Leaving a thinner sliver of gray capturing the rear wheel doors and just barely crossing onto the Rudder.

This could be the alternative idea for this plane rather than an all green idea.

Grays seemed to transition to wavy patterns, higher lines, completely covering the rear fuselage...and who knows what else!
Like Ron said, no control over what happened out in the "trenches".

I'll go with that latest idea...but I'm still gonna include the version that matches that profile artwork (since it has become a familiar image for many).
Doesn't hurt to give 'em options!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:07 PM
cModerator

Well I suppose the modern-day replica is probably as reputable a source as artist profiles - they probably are a result of a similar amount of research (or lack thereof).

I think that two options are plenty - the gray rounded option as already on the model, and the straight gray strip. These are both known paint schemes for the planes with evidence supporting both. The overall green including underside seemed to be a supposition only. Remember the reason for painting them like these - from above the green would blend with the ground, from below, the gray with the sky. You wouldn't want it the other way around or you'd be spotted more easily.

But if you're going to make the change I'll wait for you. You're a lot better at this than I. Hopefully after this we can let Old Crow rest.
Google Adsense