PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 05-20-2010, 01:29 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Hey Dave, couldn't find the info you're looking for, but found this page which includes a couple book references:

353rd FS History - Part One

Refs:

History in the Sky - 354th Pioneer Mustang Fighter Group; 354th FG Association, Editor: Capt. Arthur F. Brown.

Air Force Combat Units of World War II - The Concise Official Military Record; Department of the U.S. Air Force; Edited by Maurer Maurer.

Modelers' Society Journal - Special Limited Edition: The 354th Fighter Group In World War Two; Doug Gifford, Jim Pierce and Walt Fink; IPMS/USA.

It sounds as if you've exhausted the internet. Time to hit the tried-and-true library (it is, afterall, all that was available at the time this information would have been recorded).
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 05-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Margie Maru is going to the store!

I am just getting ready to post a Kit Announcement for Margie Maru.
ACES of ecardmodels - Maj. Jack T Bradley

I have exhausted efforts to find out the crew names that may appear on the engine cowling!
And so I am putting the Pilots name there and leaving it at that.

I have the one vintage photo that may or may not show crew names just ahead of the Cockpit.
Many of these Mustangs had Pilot, Crew Chief and Armament crew names painted near the cockpit.
There is a pretty good "profile" artwork of this aircraft (I don't know the artist) that shows something that resembles crew names,
but they are nothing but scribbles in the painting. As if the artist didn't know exactly what was there either!

I appreciate the effort of all those who tried to help me with this issue.
In the end, I think the model is sufficiently accurate and the inclusion of the Pilot's name on the engine cowling should be as close to accurate as possible under the circumstances.
Check out the kit announcement thread for a look at the finished cowling name.

.................................................. ............................

Still no info on how well the new Mustang wing root fairings are working.
if they turn out to be a usable improvement, I will release them as an update sheet.

My goal will be to create one sheet with a number of the new fairings, finished in various paint schemes to match all my different Mustang repaints.
if you bought any of my Mustangs, you can just download the sheet and find the pair of fairings that fits your kit.
The sheet will be available for free through ecardmodels once its done.

.................................................. .............................

I had two more Mustangs to finish (for the ACES series),
"The Hun Hunter" ...Pilot Henry Brown and
"Shellalagh" ...Pilot Kenneth Dahlberg

however I may put these on hold for a while and complete another 'stang that wasn't on the Aces list:

"Bonnie B" ...Pilot Don Beerbower
who was apparently the 9th AF leading Ace, also awarded the Silver Star.

Any opinions on any of that?
Old 05-22-2010, 10:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Sounds like a winner. Ya know for a guy who never really was a "Mustang fan" You sure seem to kick them out. I may even be a bit green with envy. But not lacking admiration. You got skills pal!

My old p-3 and free software are struggling with "Sleepytime Gal" while Winfield has a genuine Mustang factory at His desktop!!!

Save a couple pretty ones for Me Dave....HAHAHAHA!!!
Old 05-22-2010, 10:46 PM

Sounds like another winner. Ya know for a guy who never really was a "Mustang fan" You sure seem to kick them out. I may even be a bit green with envy. But not lacking admiration. You got skills pal!

My old p-3 and free software are struggling with "Sleepytime Gal" while Winfield has a genuine Mustang factory at His desktop!!!

Save a couple pretty ones for Me Dave....HAHAHAHA!!!
Old 05-23-2010, 05:48 AM

wow...deja vu
Google Adsense
Old 05-23-2010, 09:13 PM

Hahahaha! Yeah, look at that. Now how did I do that?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:54 PM
cModerator

Hey Dave, I've got those new fairings ready to print, and will test them out (dry fitted) when I get to that point and let you know. I'm re-scaling down to 1:72 scale (with your cockpit kit), so hopefully my findings will be useful.

Also, I had a quick design request: Could you add a little depth to the wheel wells? Basically a thin straight strip to go around the outline of the wheel well inserts so they sit deeper, with a matching green color and graphics for wing-struts and pneumatic lines. Similar to what I did with my wheel wells for the kartonmodelle Old Crow I built earlier this year:

With that model they were a simple matter to line up and reproduce the flat graphics, but on your wells you have a lot more shading and texture that would benefit more from your artistic touch.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:03 PM

Yes...I can look into that for some upcoming updates!

Obviously the wheel well inserts were my idea, an included add-on to the Marek kit.
I didn't want to get into too complicated of a design at the time, especially since it wasn't even my model.

But with the new fairing (if it works)...I will have to put out some updated pieces for the Mustangs
and the improved wheel wells are a good idea.

thanks

.................................................. ........................................

Another ACES model just released!
"Bonnie B" Capt Don Beerbower.

I like this one!
The handpainted "Invasion Striping" is even sloppier than on Margie Maru!!!!!

Look for the "announcement" thread.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:58 PM
cModerator

Cool, I like the idea of additional upgrade parts. However, any chance I could convince you to whip up those thin strips sooner? I've got all my parts, including two sets of fairings and the cockpit all lined up on a page scaled to 1:72, and want to add parts to make the wheel wells a little deeper before printing. I suppose I could just do some black strips and be none the worse for it, but figured I'd ask.

Oh, speaking of cockpit, I noticed that the interior canopy parts only come with a greenhouse canopy interior frame, though the 'Crow uses a Malcolm bubble. I suppose if I cut out the rest of the frame, it will bend slightly and fit around the contour of the clear canopy?
Old 05-25-2010, 06:05 AM

Unfortunately the wheel wells are something I don't have time for at the moment.

This will require a little more than just adding a "strip".
The Marek wing was not designed to accept a recessed wheel well.

Three main problems right off the bat...

Wing formers...there are only 2 wing shape formers and they both run through the wheel well position. Which means they must be moved or redesigned with notches/cut-outs.

Wing thickness...wheel wells are very close to the leading edge and will require something different than a continuous 'strip" around the well.
The leading edge of the wing will be tricky to assemble, with its insert pieces fitting right where the new wheel well goes.

and finally Gear Height...the Landing Gear will have to be modified to compensate for the recessed mounting position, otherwise the aircraft will sit too low.

...so, no, I won't be designing these right now.

(I am trying to finish up my current Mustang projects and move on to a new plane for a while)

.................................................. ...................................

Malcolm Hood canopy has very little inside frame
(maybe two strips front and rear?)
but more importantly slides back to open, not revealing the underside.

The original straight canopy is hinged and the upper part opens sideways
revealing the entire interior of the canopy,
and therefore creating a need for an interior part(s).
Google Adsense